Igniting a Grease Fire (Grease Spell)

Hi All,
I have been trying to set a grease spell on fire (according to the wiki it should work with most instant fire spells and do 2d6 damage per 2 caster levels), and so far I have not found a way to ignite the grease. I have tried flame bolt, burning hands, scorcher, scorching ray, and faerie fire. Between the spells, I have probably cast around 50 spells at targets in the grease, at the grease, or at a target while my character is in the grease; and so far I have seen nothing which indicates the grease is burning or anyone is taking damage.

Is this broken?
Am I using the wrong spell?
Or is this a very low frequency event (I notice "sometimes" is used when describing igniting the grease)?
If it is a low frequency event, is it really down around 1-5%?

The fact that I haven't seen it work even once is making me wonder if it doesn't work any more. Has anyone used it recently?

What does it look like when it ignites? is there an animation over the grease, or just something ovver someone in the grease?
Thanks.

droid327

It works every time but it needs to be an AOE spell and it needs to be the right kind of aoe

Though I'm not sure what the magic factor is. Maybe it's only circular aoe like fireball. Maybe it's gotta be a spell that can break boxes, so it can interact with non mob objects.

You just need to hit the grease slick though, not anything in it. And it will visibly light up. But it does crap damage, it doesn't scale on anything, so it's really just more for clearing away the grease

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
Hi All,
I have been trying to set a grease spell on fire (according to the wiki it should work with most instant fire spells and do 2d6 damage per 2 caster levels), and so far I have not found a way to ignite the grease. I have tried flame bolt, burning hands, scorcher, scorching ray, and faerie fire. Between the spells, I have probably cast around 50 spells at targets in the grease, at the grease, or at a target while my character is in the grease; and so far I have seen nothing which indicates the grease is burning or anyone is taking damage.

Is this broken?
Am I using the wrong spell?
Or is this a very low frequency event (I notice "sometimes" is used when describing igniting the grease)?
If it is a low frequency event, is it really down around 1-5%?

The fact that I haven't seen it work even once is making me wonder if it doesn't work any more. Has anyone used it recently?

What does it look like when it ignites? is there an animation over the grease, or just something ovver someone in the grease?
Thanks.
If fairie fire is not working you might be doing something wrong because fairie fire definatelly lights it up. The chance overall is 100%

Burning hands definatelly DOESN'T though. Your best chance of success is fireball. Personally I use turret (artie spell) or exploding fire/cannon runearm shots that light it up.

Thanks for the help everyone. I leveled up and got it to work every time with fireball. I cannot get it to work with the Drow SLA faerie fire, even though I am doing the exact same thing with it I did with fireball. Not sure if it is something I am doing, an issue with the SLA, or a bug.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
Thanks for the help everyone. I leveled up and got it to work every time with fireball. I cannot get it to work with the Drow SLA faerie fire, even though I am doing the exact same thing with it I did with fireball. Not sure if it is something I am doing, an issue with the SLA, or a bug.
That is really weird because I am sure I did that with my drow bard fairie fire sla and grease bard spell. It should also work with small broom from mabar that casts fairie fire, unless they changed something with fairie fire like ninjas