The Anniversary Event Flop

Jummby

It would have been easier to just have something appear in our bags as a prize, rather than hype a year long monthly event. It was way overhyped and was viewed as a nothing burger by most players.

Rather then spending "resources" to try and fix the Dragon in the hall of heroes so it gives out rewards properly, maybe it time to give up on it?

Was it even 3 months ago a poll was put out about recommending new people to the game? Now even regular players have to know a work around to get to the far shifter locations on the ship.

Maybe it's time to shift gears a bit and focus on substance over fluff. Making sure the game works right I's more important than fixing a temporary npc dragon in the hall of heroes for an event limited.

Time to just throw some prizes into players bags like normal and just punt on the event. It was a dud.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Time to just throw some prizes into players bags like normal and just punt on the event. It was a dud.
I see the concept of deferred gratification is an unfamiliar one.

The first two rewards put together are far more than we'd have got from the event than if it had just been a free giveaway right at the start. Sure, some of the later rewards are a bit less impressive, but I'd much rather have this than the typical free cosmetic one usually gets with the Anniversary event.

Jummby

This is actually true.

We've reached the point where everything is a flop or bugged nowadays anyway.
What is the point of allocating "resources" to fixing this event with so many other issues that need to be addressed out there. Just have whatever rewards planned appear in our bags as normal and lets move on from it.

Solarpower

The first two rewards put together are far more than we'd have got from the event than if it had just been a free giveaway right at the start.
Mediocre adventure package and class? Meh...
Nothing fancy compared to the ordinary DDO's patches. They've just have them renamed from "patch Uxx" into the "Year of the old deathly ill Dragon of Bugs Event" nothing more.

And the rest are the ordinary cosmetics we "usually gets with the Anniversary event"...

Why do we even call this thing an "event" in the first place ?! There is literally NOTHING new there.

seph1roth5

Uhhh what does this have to do with anniversary? Not sure if you're talking about year of the dragon or vip...but yeah the whole reward system is ridiculously convoluted and unnecessary. I play other games where if you don't log in for months at at time, you GET THEM when you do log in next. It easily keeps track of that and gives you all of it.

I've never played a game with such a complicated mess just to get something every month. I've never bought something in a game that had so many steps to get what I PURCHASED. Multiple npcs, time-locked check-ins, tons of bugs in every facet of it.

Blunt Hackett

Nothing fancy compared to the ordinary DDO's patches. They've just have them renamed from "patch Uxx" into the "Year of the old deathly ill Dragon of Bugs Event" nothing more.

And the rest are the ordinary cosmetics we "usually gets with the Anniversary event"...

Why do we even call this thing an "event" in the first place ?! There is literally NOTHING new there.
Yeah, and class archetypes have been free until this one. So really it's something that would have been free, but now it was free to claim for a month but is now 995 DDO points.

Last edited:

Blunt Hackett

Year of the Dragon was the best thing to happen to DDO in a looong time.

It was an excellent idea.
I hope it is good for the game, but it hasn't been good for me yet. This month would've been awesome if I hadn't already bought the expansions. I hope the boxes later this year are good.

Putti

What is the point of allocating "resources" to fixing this event with so many other issues that need to be addressed out there. Just have whatever rewards planned appear in our bags as normal and lets move on from it.
You're assuming that this is somehow less resource-intensive to code or that it would be less prone to bugging out.

Blunt Hackett

You're assuming that this is somehow less resource-intensive to code or that it would be less prone to bugging out.
Yeah, if this was so easy they wouldn't have started doing NPC vendors for expansion pack extras.

I can't imagine this month's reward going well if an expansion selector were dropped in everyone's inventory.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown

Yes, all they're giving us is two free paid classes (which, incidentally, I believe is the plan for future archetypes, so get used to that), three free quests, an entire free expansion, a free mount and pet, two free cosmetic outfits, a free footprint effect and pair of cosmetic wings (which, incidentally, have never been given away as anything other than high-tier Hardcore rewards before), and three other "multiple-choice" style rewards, at least one of which sounds like it's a free raid item, all so long as we talk to an NPC once a month. The sort of stuff they hand out all the time.

Putti

Yeah, if this was so easy they wouldn't have started doing NPC vendors for expansion pack extras.

I can't imagine this month's reward going well if an expansion selector were dropped in everyone's inventory.
I think they started doing those vendors because players were complaining about having several pages of duplicate items to delete every time they make a new character.

Ahpuch

These two things are unrelated. The delivery model would likely have worked just as wrong if it had just appeared in our bags. The only difference is the fix would have likely been worse since more people may have been affected. This model allowed them to discover the issue before many players had interacted with the giver.

"It was a dud." I think the players who got access to Isle of Dread or another expansion pack they didn't own may disagree.

I am not certain you thought through your concerns. Though I would have enjoyed it if SSG dropped the wrong stuff in our inventory and they responded to complaints and requests to fix the problem with "Jummby told us to just drop it in your inventory and move on without allocating resources to fix it. Sorry."

Last edited:

DBZ

SMS a fistful of frags n a few frags more just killin time till real gear hits

4 clubs ready for md