I have a buff Icon to swap spells

Ahpuch

My non caster character now has 1 hour buff after logging in saying "VIP Spell Swap Enabled". My bard, favored soul, sorcerer and warlock spells can now be swapped freely*. I know its just one Icon and it should not bother me much but yet I feel the need to ask: Is the only way to get rid of this pointless buff to drop VIP?

Or do non VIP characters get this same buff Icon? It is as useful to them as it is to my rogue.

*Note: My character has always been able to freely swap his 0 bard, favored soul, sorcerer and warlock spells to an different set of 0 spells.

rabidfox

The People's Champion

New Always-Available VIP Perk!​

We’re adding a new always-available VIP perk related to spell swapping. While you are VIP you can swap spells in any public area, and you don’t have a cooldown when changing spells at the trainer.
I don't think non-VIP get that buff as it's a VIP feature.

*Note: My character has always been able to freely swap his 0 bard, favored soul, sorcerer and warlock spells to an different set of 0 spells.
It's unlimited swaps without the typical 3 day cooldown between them.

Ahpuch

I don't think non-VIP get that buff as it's a VIP feature.

It's unlimited swaps without the typical 3 day cooldown between them.
Oh I understand what it is. What I don't understand is why there needs to be an icon in the buff bar to announce it. And why is it an hour? The buff icon does go away after an hour. Which doesn't make its initial presence any more comprehensible.

And why is it a buff for a character with no spell ability or class levels in the affected classes? And while non-VIP can't exchange spells like a VIP the buff icon would be as useful to them as it is for my rogue. (ie. not at all).

What next? An icon in the buff bar to say I can rest at shrines? I can use recall to leave dungeons?

I guess what I was trying to convey is: "Please remove the buff icon if you can't make it show up only for people to whom it applies (and you probably want to remove if for them too)."

rabidfox

The People's Champion
My guess is it was an easier way to code the effect on the backend. It reapplies the buff on a new log in; so if someone needs to swap spells after an hour they can do that (I haven't paid attention to see if refreshes itself after a hour). But I'm just guessing on that.

Ahpuch

My guess is it was an easier way to code the effect on the backend. It reapplies the buff on a new log in; so if someone needs to swap spells after an hour they can do that (I haven't paid attention to see if refreshes itself after a hour). But I'm just guessing on that.
You are likely right. And that makes me weep for the state of the code base. And if it was done as just a way to announce the benefit to VIPs that makes me weep for the state of management of the game.

I should say that if it does refresh in hour, it does not show up in the buff bar (on my rogue) so why the first time? And if it doesn't refresh is this VIP "benefit" limited to the first hour one is logged in only?

I am logged in on my warlock now to see what happens after an hour...

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I am logged in on my warlock now to see what happens after an hour...
The hour buff just ran out on my warlock so I went to the trainer to swap. Without the buff, it gives me the non-VIP swap option with the 3-day cooldown warning and cost to swap. So I'd have swap to character select and back in to refresh the buff and swap for free (not a big deal to me, but it does explain the mechanics behind it).

Vox

You have to log the character back in to refresh it.

Easier to code you see.

Ahpuch

The hour buff just ran out on my warlock so I went to the trainer to swap. Without the buff, it gives me the non-VIP swap option with the 3-day cooldown warning and cost to swap. So I'd have swap to character select and back in to refresh the buff and swap for free (not a big deal to me, but it does explain the mechanics behind it).
🤦‍♂️

(thanks for checking)

Ahpuch

On the positive side Lazuli, now only needs to be upset by this perk for the first hour of every session :)

Ahpuch

I guess what I was trying to convey is: "Please remove the buff icon if you can't make it show up only for people to whom it applies (and you probably want to remove if for them too)."
I would like to refine my ask:

Please extend the buff to allow bard, favored soul, sorcerer and warlock characters to last 24 hours (we know timers can go that high). And remove that buff from the buff bar. (Or just re-code it using rational logic.)

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
codigospaghetti.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Ahpuch

I'd assume they want it to fall off fast so one doesn't keep the buff for long after a person's VIP expires.
That was my guess as well. Weeping for the management decisions again:

"Oh no some one may use this great VIP benefit hours after their VIP expired if they don't log out. We best limit it to 1 hour from login to minimize their ability to exploit our generosity."​
Dev: We could code it to validate when swapping at the trainer.​
"No. 1 hour limit. We're good."​

If they made it permanent on login, a user cold at most "exploit this for a week" due to server restarts. Getting an extra 1 week of this benefit after at least 1 month of VIP doesn't seem all that generous. Its not worth irrirtating every VIP bard, favored soul, sorcerer and warlock over, IMO.

PersonMan

It feels like they are fully utilizing the pent up aggression from the many years of people demanding more VIP benefits.

Weaponalpha

My non caster character now has 1 hour buff after logging in saying "VIP Spell Swap Enabled". My bard, favored soul, sorcerer and warlock spells can now be swapped freely*. I know its just one Icon and it should not bother me much but yet I feel the need to ask: Is the only way to get rid of this pointless buff to drop VIP?

Or do non VIP characters get this same buff Icon? It is as useful to them as it is to my rogue.

Yes. You must drop VIP immediately otherwise more Buff Icons like this will follow. Who knows where it will end.