XP Hard Cap Removal

Crustbucket

Hello everyone! I was playing with some friends the other day and there was a point brought up about the XP hardcap we have (the one level and 99.9% of another level you can store). WHY is it there?! I know it pushes people into other content but we have plenty of packs and a huge amount of quest saturation. Why not let players play what they would like, allow them to hold and store xp to group with friends, allow those who are F2P the ability to run dailies, and not have to manage the "POWER LEVEL" xp penalty because they absolutely had to take another level to benefit?

Just seems like a good way to remove a headache that exists from an older system and would really help ease players' minds to simply just enjoy their adventure!

So for example:
I am level 5, with enough xp to 7. Currently i can gain no more experience BUT i havent run saltmarsh and i have a buddy who would like to run it at level 4 with room. As i dont have a ton of time to play and progress it makes me chose between xp and fun. (Obviously you can run it for zero xp but its a very odd issue to have and we arent repeating content for max XP/s)

With the new changes you could continue to store xp all the way up to 20 if you'd like as heroic xp. But it would take awhile if all you ran was lowby content so there is always the player incentive to advance when they feel satisfied.

I think this would be a boon to players and is a pretty simple fix to a ton of gripes with not getting to run their favorite content as they hard cap out. Please remember to give this a thumbs up if you agree!

Upvote 2

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
Hello everyone! I was playing with some friends the other day and there was a point brought up about the XP hardcap we have (the one level and 99.9% of another level you can store). WHY is it there?! I know it pushes people into other content but we have plenty of packs and a huge amount of quest saturation. Why not let players play what they would like, allow them to hold and store xp to group with friends, allow those who are F2P the ability to run dailies, and not have to manage the "POWER LEVEL" xp penalty because they absolutely had to take another level to benefit?

Just seems like a good way to remove a headache that exists from an older system and would really help ease players' minds to simply just enjoy their adventure!

So for example:
I am level 5, with enough xp to 7. Currently i can gain no more experience BUT i havent run saltmarsh and i have a buddy who would like to run it at level 4 with room. As i dont have a ton of time to play and progress it makes me chose between xp and fun. (Obviously you can run it for zero xp but its a very odd issue to have and we arent repeating content for max XP/s)

With the new changes you could continue to store xp all the way up to 20 if you'd like as heroic xp. But it would take awhile if all you ran was lowby content so there is always the player incentive to advance when they feel satisfied.

I think this would be a boon to players and is a pretty simple fix to a ton of gripes with not getting to run their favorite content as they hard cap out. Please remember to give this a thumbs up if you agree!
This has been suggested a number of times in the past. There has been a resounding silence from the Devs.

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea. We can already cap after completing lvl 14 quests, doing this, no repeats. With this suggestion we could cap after lvl 12 on a guess possibly even earlier, rendering nearly half the content in heroic useless, instead of just the level 16+ quests.

Sheikra

+1
Always feels really bad when someone either leaves a group bc of hardcap or doesn't realize how close they are and loses a bunch of xps.

droid327

Because Shadow Crypt

There's a few quests that you could just ride the whole way, or at least significant chunks, and they don't want to encourage that kind of meta gaming

Crustbucket

Well to be fair if your waiting to daily certain quests isnt that slower than progressing normally? I still think it should be an option. If they need to tighten up repetition penalties i think thats fine to promote diverse questing but i always run past House P chains, House D, Saltmarsh, Necro 4 and many others as im forced to take levels. And in epics that style of dailies and running key content for certain rewards already exists ...

I just wish it could be removed as we still have to put in the time, work within the level restrictions of our party mates and all in all we had to run to get there. XP pots still tick away, repetition penalties and all still exist and at a certain point as said before its better to move onto higher levels with chunkier xp if thats your goal. I dont see how this would hurt anyone.

Crustbucket

This has been suggested a number of times in the past. There has been a resounding silence from the Devs.

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea. We can already cap after completing lvl 14 quests, doing this, no repeats. With this suggestion we could cap after lvl 12 on a guess possibly even earlier, rendering nearly half the content in heroic useless, instead of just the level 16+ quests.
You wouldnt render any content useless, if max xp/sec is your goal then you already follow a strict path and cut out 80% of available content. So whats the difference with allowing players to sink time into the packs they like, getting their benefits as they spent the time and effort in a quest and to provide the luxury of being able to keep a toon same level or near a friend to assist with leveling. If anything this could help with grouping and would in my guild. You still cant run level 14 at level 5 or bring in a level 20 in a level 2 quest. regular rules apply. You would be at level, with at level gear and spells etc. No different than holding iconic levels to run content for favor if your so inclined.

Lagin

/Not signed. This has been discussed many times here only to be ignored or shut down.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
You wouldnt render any content useless, if max xp/sec is your goal then you already follow a strict path and cut out 80% of available content. So whats the difference with allowing players to sink time into the packs they like, getting their benefits as they spent the time and effort in a quest and to provide the luxury of being able to keep a toon same level or near a friend to assist with leveling. If anything this could help with grouping and would in my guild. You still cant run level 14 at level 5 or bring in a level 20 in a level 2 quest. regular rules apply. You would be at level, with at level gear and spells etc. No different than holding iconic levels to run content for favor if your so inclined.
You can already keep a toon at or near level with a friend.

Do Not Take The Level.

Crustbucket

You can already keep a toon at or near level with a friend.

Do Not Take The Level.
Correct but if im almost 2 levels ahead i suddenly am heavily incentivized to level and leave a friend or content i enjoy behind. Either way its still time being traded for xp. Whats the opposition to the ability to play what content youd like. Still the same rules and penalties just lax on the xp and its not a pain if you hard cap and "waste xp"

Dude

Correct but if im almost 2 levels ahead i suddenly am heavily incentivized to level and leave a friend or content i enjoy behind. Either way its still time being traded for xp. Whats the opposition to the ability to play what content youd like. Still the same rules and penalties just lax on the xp and its not a pain if you hard cap and "waste xp"
Are they really that good of a friend if you leave them instead of helping them catch up to you?

Oliphant

Agree, why not? Xp gets more generous as quests go up ML so no meta incentive to stay behind. If people cap doing level 14 quests, and they don't like that, they can self manage that in the future. This would help static groups as more options can only help or at least do no harm.

Crustbucket

Are they really that good of a friend if you leave them instead of helping them catch up to you?
Not necessarily talking about static groups here, i know my guild has very fluid leveling schedules and itd just be nice to hop on. Of course you can leave dedicated characters behind for someone.

Crustbucket

Agree, why not? Xp gets more generous as quests go up ML so no meta incentive to stay behind. If people cap doing level 14 quests, and they don't like that, they can self manage that in the future. This would help static groups as more options can only help or at least do no harm.
Right it doesnt hurt anyone at all and if anything is just a QoL change. You still have to abide by the quest rules of Heroic, Epic, Legendary all the same as the devs intended.