You're going to take this VIPLP and you're going to like it.

Do you support the VIP Loyalty Program?

• No.

• Yes.

• Donuts.

Results are only viewable after voting.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
I'll settle for getting out of alpha :p
An arguement could be made the end of alpha was the introduction of ftp. I wasn't here back then so I can't make that arguement correctly. Funny enough, I am understanding NOBODY in the current development team was here back then either!

DDO Gaming

Great idea! Support stupid desicions no matter what so they ... checks notes ... go out of business.
either you value the gaming system as it stands or you...stomp your feet elsewhere. Chained VIP has zero impact on my personal decision to VIP.

Thus the question really is: Ignoring chained VIP, do you value VIP in its current format? And I recall many gaming veterans explicitly assert current VIP holds no value for them, its possible chained VIP has added little additional incentive. Its also the reason we started exploring multi-tiered VIP to target diferent kinds of audiences but clearly SSG chose chained-VIP instead

Shear-buckler

either you value the gaming system as it stands or you...stomp your feet elsewhere. Chained VIP has zero impact on my personal decision to VIP.

Thus the question really is: Ignoring chained VIP, do you value VIP in its current format? And I recall many gaming veterans explicitly assert current VIP holds no value for them, its possible chained VIP has added little additional incentive. Its also the reason we started exploring multi-tiered VIP to target diferent kinds of audiences but clearly SSG chose chained-VIP instead

I personally value VIP because it's a very small amount of money for me. However that is really beside the point. The fact is that VIP has lost value, the devs have spent a lot of time and effort to develop and promise a new system to make up for it so they clearly see value in making more people subscribe.
Granted that fact I voice my opinion that this new system is very bad at achieving any goals they may have. It will turn players away from subbing just from how insignificant it is, it's a slap in the face for many, and it will add resistance to subbing down the line because of how hopelessly behind you will be.

As a fan of the game I want people to spend money and time here and not go "stomp their feet elsewhere".

Providing feedback is the primary purpose of the forums.

Blunt Hackett

There comes a time when I insist on a binary choice. Either you value VIP or you don't. Speaking out of both sides of your mouth is a skill left to politicians please
You can value something personally and still see facts on the ground. No matter how much you value it, the new VIP loyalty program doesn't amount to what value it has lost. Its personal value is subjective. The lost value is objective fact.

Shear-buckler

You can value something personally and still see facts on the ground. No matter how much you value it, the new VIP loyalty program doesn't amount to what value it has lost. Its personal value is subjective. The lost value is objective fact.
Exactly. The primary deciding factor for the "value" of anything is really your income. For me a month of VIP is less than 15 minutes of work. I should be able to provide feedback based on a less myopic perspective without being called a hypocrit.

Last edited:

Zenako

Longtime subscriber (since 2006). Had a blast in those early days, everyone was a paid subscriber, i.e. had some financial skin in the game. Installed the game from the CD in the game box and used the code for a "free subscription" which I think was a month or three. Had some super memorable times when the game gods blew up the marketplace in a live event (where we had like 20+ instances of the marketplace). Had demons and devils popping into public areas. Then when the game transitioned to introduce the FtP model and shifted the whole paradigm. Along the way have added more accounts (3 for other family members and 2 for mules) so we could all play at the same time. Always kept the core account as VIP, to benefit from the various perks and the family accounts all purchased various packs and expansions as needed or they went on sale.

While I personally find only marginal use for most of the new VIPLP stuff, I think the biggest issue I have with it, is how annoying/frustrating it was to even collect the rewards. The interface could and should have been something simple like the Daily Dice Popup that you can activate anywhere and not have to trek over to the Hall of Heroes. The 5 extra shared bank slots have use to me (since I was already at the normal Max anyway). I will be happy to take those freebies over the coming year (just like I was happy to take those Gold Rolls the past month - but getting 100Exp and some Plat is pretty much a letdown). Bonus stuff that can make the questing life a little bit easier/quicker/more interesting.

I think SSG has a huge conundrum during game design. The existing base of longterm dedicated players of the game, and another cadre of possible new players who might only be into ANY new game for a few months before the next new thing grabs their attention. It is cheaper to buy a VIP for a few months and get a lot of access, and then move on than to grab all the newest expansions to own them for as long as the game lasts or your interest sticks. How to encourage or incentivize those newer players to stick around? This was an attempt. Getting an extra 5 shared bank slots when you only had the base number is a lot more useful than going from 250 to 255 spots. Longtime players likely have stacks of unused items like those in the VIP bag of Many Things. I know I do (other than the Sentient XP - those get used up quickly). A new player would likely find a lot more value in those choices.

I would really love it if Hearts of Wood would stack. I seldom reincarnate, but I have a collector's mentality and find it almost impossible to toss away stuff like that, just in case I might need it.

Shear-buckler

At this point, I have to assume that you're not here in good faith and will not engage with you anymore.
If that is what you take away from me quoting you back to yourself maybe you need to take a step back and reevaluate your position.

My position is clear, if you support bad decisions out of a sense of loyalty you are not doing anyone a favor. The players who are voting with their wallets on this are the ones doing the most good for the game in the long run.

Warsaga

present day - present time
If that is what you take away from me quoting you back to yourself maybe you need to take a step back and reevaluate your position.

My position is clear, if you support bad decisions out of a sense of loyalty you are not doing anyone a favor. The players who are voting with their wallets on this are the ones doing the most good for the game in the long run.
As you see, theres a handful of trolls on here that just aren't really worth engaging honestly with.

Jasves

I may have mentioned before, but the new VIP to me is lean on useful content and more cosmetics, which I care little about, including the mounts.
VIP has lost it's value over time and does need adjustment.
With the way the system has progressed, the long long climb to building out new characters is painful at times.
Keep it simpler, I don't care for over-complexity.

I would be happy to re-subscribe to VIP if they just did a simple additional 10% XP for VIP.

Warsaga

I may have mentioned before, but the new VIP to me is lean on useful content and more cosmetics, which I care little about, including the mounts.
VIP has lost it's value over time and does need adjustment.
With the way the system has progressed, the long long climb to building out new characters is painful at times.
Keep it simpler, I don't care for over-complexity.

I would be happy to re-subscribe to VIP if they just did a simple additional 10% XP for VIP.
I would be happy to re-subscribe if they just listened to the players and took any suggestions at all. Maybe 10% additional xp on top of what VIP already offers is overkill - maybe not. But I sure would appreciate if SSG engaged with ideas like these and told us why they would or wouldn't do this.

Aelonwy

Unless you are a shareholder in SSG and/or you invested $$$$$ in gaming development DDO is NOT your apple...or anything else (folks like you will typically spend $5 on a product then scream like they own the entire business) . You are merely an interested potential customer so kindly behave like an interested potential customer.

If you don;t like the apple, orange, or no.45 diaper being offered then you simply walk away to the next aisle. What you don;t do is throw a no45 style hissyfit :)(y)
Making a lot of assumptions there. I know tone in text can be difficult but nowhere was Cd throwing a hissy fit. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, they don't have to sit down and shut up just because someone doesn't want to hear/read it. If you have a problem with any particular poster hit IGNORE.

DDO Gaming

Making a lot of assumptions there.
The only assumptions being made are by team "I hate chained VIP blah blah SSG didn't listen to gamers".

So...you think SSG randomly created a chained system of rewards...and randomly chose those particular rewards? Any business that randomly creates marketing ideas very quickly goes bankrupt and SSG have several years experience engaging with customers.

Agreed not everyone is overawed by the new system of chained reards for xyz reasons so it simply makes sense to say "no thanks, bye"

Warsaga

The only assumptions being made are by team "I hate chained VIP blah blah SSG didn't listen to gamers".

So...you think SSG randomly created a chained system of rewards...and randomly chose those particular rewards? Any business that randomly creates marketing ideas very quickly goes bankrupt and SSG have several years experience engaging with customers.

Agreed not everyone is overawed by the new system of chained reards for xyz reasons so it simply makes sense to say "no thanks, bye"
Why are you, in particular, against people expressing their views about this? You're not coming to engage with the topic people are discussing, you're literally just criticizing people for their opinion - unnecessarily.

Why don't you say "no thanks, bye" and choose not to comment when you see an opinion you don't agree with?