Skills needed for quest optionals

Ethril

Is there a list somewhere with the skills needed for various quest optionals? I didn't see one in the wiki.

For example, for the giant in The Same Old Song, you need either spellcraft or heal to complete one of the optionals. I know the individual quests that they are required in list them, but I was hoping for a comprehensive list somewhere.

Ethril

Yeah, that's extremely dated. It looks like it's from somewhere around Update 7.
And after looking at it again, it seems to be focussed around stats. The only skills listed were open lock, disable device, and jump. All three of those should just be a given anyway for a lot of content. Open lock is frequently useful for bonus chests or optional areas. Disable or jump are useful for avoiding trap damage. It should go without saying that those are semi-required.

I know that heal and/or spellcraft and UMD and/or disable are useful for optionals in a couple of quests, but I was hoping for a comprehensive list somewhere. It looks like I may have to compile my own.

My ultimate goal is to create a single character that can do all of the quest optionals that can be soloed (even if it's on casual or normal and way over level). So, at a bare minimum, I need lawful (POP), arcane lore and religious lore (Rest Stop), heal and/or spellcraft, UMD and/or disable, perform and/or swim, haggle and/or repair (all for The Evil We Know), disable and/or repair (The Same Old Song), a trapper of at least level 4 (Rest Stop), and Wilderness Lore (Mask of Deception).

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. I set my expectations low (normal or casual) due to the fact that the character will probably be useless for any real questing and it's mostly just for a personal goal. If I didn't need to be lawful, a bard/artificer would be an obvious choice. I've got a couple of tentative builds planned out. The most viable one is looking like Artificer 17/Cleric 2 (knowledge domain for skills)/Dark Hunter 1.

Edit: I forgot to mention, a pet is also needed for some quests. Especially The Twilight Forge where hirelings can't be summoned. This limits potential builds further.

Last edited:

DBZ

You need alot of skill points i'd go wiz or alch maybe then you could also use some bonus feats maybe for it

3 epic pls can also give 3 the melee one and a mian with 4 skill tomes can gets you to 7 might be more viable on a main

droid327

My ultimate goal is to create a single character that can do all of the quest optionals that can be soloed (even if it's on casual or normal and way over level). So, at a bare minimum, I need lawful (POP), arcane lore and religious lore (Rest Stop), heal and/or spellcraft, UMD and/or disable, perform and/or swim, haggle and/or repair (all for The Evil We Know), disable and/or repair (The Same Old Song), a trapper of at least level 4 (Rest Stop), and Wilderness Lore (Mask of Deception).

The alignment and class-based ones are obviously going to constrain this project (and you'll need trapping too for the bear trap in Rest Stop, and I think some optionals may be gated behind locked doors)...but the skill based ones arent. A +8 Tome and skill swap gear are usually enough to pass optional skill checks on any build. Throw in an Exceptional Skills item if you want to make sure, but you can do crafted Skill/Insightful Skill items for any skill you need...and throw on the relevant Insightful Stat augment for a couple extra points too

I think the toughest one might be the UMD check on the crystal in the Gatekeeper mine quest, since UMD gear is harder to stack, but UMD should be a skill every build maxes anyway

Ethril

A +8 Tome and skill swap gear are usually enough to pass optional skill checks on any build.
True, but I'd still need to compile a list of necessary skills to know which swappable gear to craft.
I think the toughest one might be the UMD check on the crystal in the Gatekeeper mine quest, since UMD gear is harder to stack, but UMD should be a skill every build maxes anyway
Yep. Most of my builds put as many points into it as possible.

droid327

True, but I'd still need to compile a list of necessary skills to know which swappable gear to craft.

The only ones where I cant think of a quest that has them as a skill check optional:

- Balance
- Haggle
- Hide/MS
- Listen
- Swim
- Tumble

Of course I might just be missing the quests that check those. Everything else I can think of at least one example of using them in quests.

Now some of those might be redundant, like you can use either-or, or may not be tied to an optional objective (eg it may just help you avoid a fight or something, like in Red Rain)...but trying to compile THAT list is going to be a whole project in itself, not something you'll just find on the wiki or get in a forum response

So I think the short answer is just craft one of everything :)

misterski

The only ones where I cant think of a quest that has them as a skill check optional:

- Balance
- Haggle
- Hide/MS
- Listen
- Swim
- Tumble

Of course I might just be missing the quests that check those. Everything else I can think of at least one example of using them in quests.

Now some of those might be redundant, like you can use either-or, or may not be tied to an optional objective (eg it may just help you avoid a fight or something, like in Red Rain)...but trying to compile THAT list is going to be a whole project in itself, not something you'll just find on the wiki or get in a forum response

There is an optional in Obstructing the Orcs that can use your haggle skill to complete.

Ethril

- Balance
- Haggle
- Hide/MS
- Listen
- Swim
- Tumble

Swim and haggle are both used in "The Evil We Know". However, perform can be used instead of swim and repair can be used instead of haggle.

SpartanKiller13

Why do I have 411 .ddocp files
- Swim

Lost At Sea has a Swim check on the pyramid to disable the Sahaguin ritual

I'm with the craft one of everything vote lol

If you're making a cap toon, I recommend LGS skills items; you can get like Wis Skills/Insightful Wis Skills/Quality Wis Skills all on one item (+22/+11/+6).

Ethril

Lost At Sea has a Swim check on the pyramid to disable the Sahaguin ritual

I'm with the craft one of everything vote lol

If you're making a cap toon, I recommend LGS skills items; you can get like Wis Skills/Insightful Wis Skills/Quality Wis Skills all on one item (+22/+11/+6).
Thanks. I had completely forgotten about Lost at Sea. That's a good idea about the LGS items. My main is still on the TR train so he doesn't stay at cap very long right now, but I'll definitely look into that (or whatever replaces it) when I'm near completing my lives.

DYWYPI

That first table on that 'Specific quest requirements' page basically lists quests that require mandatory 'Ability checks' to "complete" the quest. Or quests that "typically" in most cases can't be physically soloed by all classes. For example, quest mechanics requiring two or more bodies to be in two significantly physically separated places, e.g. simultaneously activating a lever. It doesn't cover Skills checks, such as Disable Device, Open Lock, Jump, Swim or social skills.

The second table covers 'Ability checks' for "Optional" objectives in quests, usually Ability check runes. The mandatory doors (requiring Ability checks to open and progress to complete the quest) are mostly ignored. Due to the fact that most breakable doors since (U46.2); ones that should require 'Minimum Strength' checks to "open" can now be unlocked or damaged by melee attacks or certain spells, e.g. Fireball. I suspect they'll be a few more "doors" than was listed, but not many.

[...] The only ones where I cant think of a quest that has them as a skill check optional:

- Balance
- Haggle
- Hide/MS
- Listen
- Swim
- Tumble

Regarding the quest Skills checks for dialogue type boxes; even Listen can be used as a skill check optional, e.g. 'Acute Delirium' when detecting the mimic. I doubt: Balance or Tumble is used in such a way... I don't think Hide is used anywhere? However, a Move Silently option can be used within 'The Thrill of the Hunt' for "searching the desks" for Jewelled keys.

Last edited: