AotS blast question/viable multiclass?

Ned_Ellis

Sorry if I'm dense but I don't get it : if we can upgrade the blast via feats when multiclassing, is there ever a combination where it makes sense?! I mean, if its multiclassing with a melee/ranged, its better off using its weapon and if caster, even with the loss of a level it makes more sense casting spells than blasting (or blasting but then why split with other caster class?) It just seems like a 4 feat spend to have a better than normal back-up throwing weapon to hit levers kind of deal...any good builders out there that have found a synergy? Since it doesnt have passive aura via ES it just seems pointless, unlike the monk ones...

rabidfox

The People's Champion
There's also the issue of the 2 epic feats for epic level extra blast and pact dice that require at least 12 warlock levels, so if you multiclass with less than that your damage will be subpar post heroics.

Conceptually it opens builds, but the reality is it requires 12 levels of AotS to be decent as a blaster in epic levels. Both https://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Pact_Dice and https://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Eldritch_Blast require 12 warlock to take and without them the damage will get worse and worse as a multiclass approached cap. They should change the requirements on them to "12 warlock or Greater Pact Attunement feat taken" and then build options would be amazing (it would just be the feat tax of taking the AotS blast feats).

rabidfox

The People's Champion
As for class combos, there's been a couple odd builds for specific push raids using them (of no use to the general public).

The most viable usage I see for them is getting a heroic past life where you just run a few AoTS levels and the rest any class you want the past life of. Then you can just blast your way to 20 by taking feats. Could be good if you really don't want to play a certain class; the same way people will use the inquisitive tree for generic build.

Ned_Ellis

There's also the issue of the 2 epic feats for epic level extra blast and pact dice that require at least 12 warlock levels, so if you multiclass with less than that your damage will be subpar post heroics.
True, but as an 'add-on' and not pure concept I would have played around with it even if sub-par scaling.
As for class combos, there's been a couple odd builds for specific push raids using them (of no use to the general public).

The most viable usage I see for them is getting a heroic past life where you just run a few AoTS levels and the rest any class you want the past life of. Then you can just blast your way to 20 by taking feats. Could be good if you really don't want to play a certain class; the same way people will use the inquisitive tree for generic build.
Fair enough...I suppose that could be a good use of it. I only plan builds to cap so I just have to give up on AotS...shame it could have been interesting like the monk stances to spice up a multi-class. Thanks for taking the time rabidfox!

comfy

the comfortable
It works well for churning through lives that you otherwise wouldn't enjoy playing. I completed almost all of my iconic lives (looking at you, Bladeforged) in just a few months using this idea with AotS. I just kept the same level 15 gear on the entire time and used the same enhancements/ED setup. It was mindless and effective up until endgame at which point I just reincarnated. https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?th...-x-7-acolyte-of-the-skin-5-favored-soul.2678/

Definitely not the best option for an endgame build unless you do a Bard/Fvs/AotS buff/heal/some dps type toon like Strimtom made.

DBZ

9 acid lock does too only pita is wk and u swap to primal for 1 quest and it has knock for frags n cleansers

Refutor

I multiclassed 5 wozard to get arcane supremacy and it was a lot of damage (and fun) when arcane supremacy went off…unfortunately you can’t control when it goes and it doesn’t last very long. Was fine for heroics (like everything basically) but fell off in late epics

droid327

Yeah its main application is for Heroic past life templates, and its really awesome for that, probably the best option in the game

You're right, it makes no sense to add Blasting to melee or caster builds since they already do the other thing better. And as a pure blaster, regular Lock is better anyway since you can add on lots of Imbue dice with Enlightened Spirit

The one reason you might want to splash an additional class is for bonus crit in other trees, since you wont be giving up base dice progression. AoV offers +fire/force/light crit, and AM offers fire and force crit. 7 points in each nets you +6% crit to fire and force, and you can use MM SLA to instantly build Scourge stacks for +30 fire/force/light spellpower. Dunno if that's worth 4 Lock levels, you're giving up your second L6 spell (Hold Monster Mass or Arcane Tempest, likely) and 4 points of DC, but thats probably the best argument you could make

Mokune

I blasted through 3 lives and found great play value and utility despite only having 2 or 3 AoTs Levels but taking the Eldritch Blast Upgrade Feats, Max, Emp, Quicken, Enlarge or w/e else. Int and some Cha with Wiz, Cha with FVS, Wis and some Cha with Cleric. Using FI for GCS on all.

3AoTS with Cone and Chain/17 Wiz T5,Core 4, Archmage, Evo, Arcane Supremacy, Crits etc (no arcane bolt or blast)
2AoTS with Just Chain/18 FVS T5,Core5 AoV tree
3AoTS with Cone and Chain/17Cleric DA T5, Core 4 DD, Some in DA for SLAs.

OFC the blast damage isn't going to be what you'd expect without the epic feats.
Pure Wiz/FVS/Cleric is my preference for a caster.

You blast like a Lock but CC, AoE and Instakill like the main class. Fun as hell.