Baldur's Gate III . . .

Phungki

played BG1 and BG2 from beginning to end many many times. Same with Neverwinter. I haven't looked into BG3 yet but if its similar than its worth a go with me. Even if its best solo.

Darksteel

I have more than 150 hours already in BG3. The graphics, combat, story-line and music (OMG the music!!) is incredible. The sheer volume of role-play and character customisation as per DnD 5e is bonkers. I hope Larian continues the development and provides us with more DLC for classes, races, level cap increase (I want to see them do epic levels as per DnD 5e and show SSG what they missed out by going commoner class route) and adventure in cities such as Waterdeep and regions of Thay.

Game of the Year 2023. Go pick a copy and enjoy!

Dragnilar

Dragonborn of Bahamut
Game of the Year 2023. Go pick a copy and enjoy!

NGL, I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Makes me want to try it out.

Question - have you played any of Larians other games? If so, what does this one do better?

I didn't like any of the Divinity games, so I'm still apprenshive about paying $60 for another one of their games, despite the D&D label and the hype.

Lacci

NGL, I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Makes me want to try it out.

Question - have you played any of Larians other games? If so, what does this one do better?

I didn't like any of the Divinity games, so I'm still apprenshive about paying $60 for another one of their games, despite the D&D label and the hype.
While the question wasn´t directed at me, I´d like to answer...
I just started playing Baldurs Gate over the holidays and I also played the first "Divinity"

In my opinion, what BG3 does better than Divinity or in fact any other games I´ve played is how your actions and decisions have an effect on the gameworld and the story. Even small details, the way you approach someone in a dialogue, the race and class of your character often has an impact and changes the way the story unfolds.
Another thing is just the way you can interact with the world through spells and other items. You can be very creative with how and where you use certain spells and you would be amazed to see how often Larian has thought about things and actually implemented effects. It´s simple and obvious things like the spells "Speak with Animals" or "Speak with undead". Almost every animal and every corpse in the game has something to say.
But also more complex stuff like for example, if one of your companions might object to something in a dialogue scene, you could cast "Silence" on them and do it anyway.

Also, the whole story and the characters are just amazing and for good reason there is so much praise for all the voice actors.

Phungki

If grouping up is your thing, you probably wont like it. DDO does it much better. If you find yourself soloing mostly as I do (I probably haven't been in a group in 10 years or more), you will fit right in.
Character creation is very good in BG3. Not sure how it is according to D&D 5. I hung up my dice a couple decades ago, so I don't follow along. That's never been an deciding factor for me. Its all about the genre for me.
I played BG and BG2 thru a few times along with Icewind dale 1 & 2. All great games for their time. Diablo 1&2 was ok. Just one playthrough was enough for me. I don't consider there to be many similarities between Diablo and BG.
The impact your choices make in BG3 greatly affects the outcome or direction the story goes. Its not as simple as pass or fail. you can talk yourself right out of a fight and still get the experience for it. The graphics are great I suppose. But honestly I haven't played anything other than the games mentioned here so my experience with game graphics is limited.
Honestly the hardest part of this game is figuring out the camera angles and which works best for each situation.
There are a lot more things to interact with in BG3. with speak to animals and speak to the dead, everything has something to say. some of which is very helpful, some just story filler.
someone mentioned turn base being a turn off, thats just during the altercations. The rest of the time its just you walking around. Fast travel is pretty great in this game tho. once you have found a way point you can access it at anytime without going to it first. open the map, click on it, and there you are.
over all its been a very fun game to play. Need a break from racking up lives in DDO anyway

masterspectrum

If grouping up is your thing, you probably wont like it. DDO does it much better. If you find yourself soloing mostly as I do (I probably haven't been in a group in 10 years or more), you will fit right in.
Character creation is very good in BG3. Not sure how it is according to D&D 5. I hung up my dice a couple decades ago, so I don't follow along. That's never been an deciding factor for me. Its all about the genre for me.
I played BG and BG2 thru a few times along with Icewind dale 1 & 2. All great games for their time. Diablo 1&2 was ok. Just one playthrough was enough for me. I don't consider there to be many similarities between Diablo and BG.
The impact your choices make in BG3 greatly affects the outcome or direction the story goes. Its not as simple as pass or fail. you can talk yourself right out of a fight and still get the experience for it. The graphics are great I suppose. But honestly I haven't played anything other than the games mentioned here so my experience with game graphics is limited.
Honestly the hardest part of this game is figuring out the camera angles and which works best for each situation.
There are a lot more things to interact with in BG3. with speak to animals and speak to the dead, everything has something to say. some of which is very helpful, some just story filler.
someone mentioned turn base being a turn off, thats just during the altercations. The rest of the time its just you walking around. Fast travel is pretty great in this game tho. once you have found a way point you can access it at anytime without going to it first. open the map, click on it, and there you are.
over all its been a very fun game to play. Need a break from racking up lives in DDO anyway
heya phungki it is I stormkiss :p and yeah bg3 rocks

Elminster

I notice that everything in Baldur's Gate 3 revolves around casters.

The main character the wizard Gale becomes a literal god.

Lacci

I notice that everything in Baldur's Gate 3 revolves around casters.

The main character the wizard Gale becomes a literal god.
No, that´s the beauty of it. It´s up to the player to decide how much revolves around what.
The main characters are a fighter, a barbarian, a rogue, a wizard, a warlock and a cleric, but you don´t have to play with either of them.
For example, I didn´t take Gale into my party, so that particular storyline didn´t even play out for me.

Elminster

No, that´s the beauty of it. It´s up to the player to decide how much revolves around what.
The main characters are a fighter, a barbarian, a rogue, a wizard, a warlock and a cleric, but you don´t have to play with either of them.
For example, I didn´t take Gale into my party, so that particular storyline didn´t even play out for me.
You miss out on a ton of a stuff if you don't drag one of the casters along. I tried solo with a Barbarian who hates magic... nada...

Heck especially not this below: