Concept Build Shadar-Kai Warlock

Frantik

Hi, this is NOT F2P and requires access to Harper Agent, Falconry and Feydark Illusionist trees. AND a +1 lesser Heart of Wood.

Inspired by Strimtom's Drow melee Warlock build [https://forums-old.ddo.com/forums/s...-better-with-imbues-Melee-Warlock-Build-Guide]

I love Shadar-Kai, so I wanted to create a build (maybe somebody else has come with a similar build) for Hardcore fun, because it is.

I wanted to keep as much synergy as possible, but as a new build (for testing), I am limited to 80+1 AP, on paper this has proved difficult. With more Racial AP, it would be much easier, but for test purposes a few tough choices were required.

Why Shadar-Kai? The chain attacks coupled with ES light imbue. I'm also testing a SDK 1 Rogue 18 Dark Apostate 1 FvS wisdom-based using the fabulous ML6 Blade of the Clouds and attempting to farm the Legendary version; it's quite strong and its nice to have immunities, self healing and buffing, some nice SLAs, a Wisdom Trance etc. But enough of that, back to the SDK Warlock...

Shadar-Kai 20 Warlock LN Celestial Pact
32 point build: 8 STR 10 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 16 CHA
all level ups into CHA

Heroic Trees
Enlightened Spirit 41 AP
Shadar-Kai 18 AP (incl. Assassin's Mark)
Feydark Illusionist 11 AP
Harper Agent 8 AP (Trance + 2Hit/Dmg + 10 hp)
Falconry 3 AP (+2 Hit)

So no Tainted Scholar (no extra Pact die and no Utterdark; ikr)

Heroic Feats
- Quicken, Maximize, Empower
- SWF, iSWF, gSWF, Offhand Versatility

Epic Trees
I see 2 possible paths, one gives me much better synergy and a load more imbue, one is more tanky and more melee Hit/Dmg

Imbue Version (61 DP)
Draconic Incarnation 35 DP (All cores, Blue, Mantle, +3 Imbue, +3 Evo/Necro* DCs, tier 5 DCs + Moment)
Machrotechnic 26 DP (Galvanic Blast, Lightning Hammer, +3 Imbue, +3 Conj/Evo* DCs, +6 Doublestrike)
* Evo + either Conj for ET or Necro for Warlock level 6 spells

Melee/Tanky Version (61 DP)
Fatesinger 37 AP (All cores, every ability adding Hit/Dmg, Evo DCs, Arcane Resonance, All tier 5s)
Exalted Angel 24 AP (All cores, Mantle and all upgrades, Ench DCs)

The +6 Imbue version is incredibly tempting but there is something to be said for the second option in terms of to Hit and Damage and the tankyness of the EA mantle. A compromise is likely; will report back.

EDIT1: oh yes, the tankyness of the EA Mantle, I walked into that one didn't I? We shall see, we shall see...

Epic Feats
- Improved Critical, Embolden, Intensify, Epic Eldritch Blast (for Imbue version would definitely drop one of these for Wellspring)

Epic Destiny Feats
- Perfect SWF, Doublestrike, Epic Pact Dice, Embodiment of Law

All comments much welcomed; I am sure I have missed some obvious choices. Thanks!

Last edited:

Frantik

So following Update 66, I have been struggling to come up with an ED combo; not only did DI Dragon Breathe get heavily nerfed, but the EA Mantle has been utterly destroyed. OMG I cannot understand SSG sometimes; sure reduce self healing from EA mantle, but to strip it entirely???

Anyway, after many iterations (in my head) I thought I had finally decided upon tier 5 Fatesinger (melee, spell pen., free enlarge and enchantment synergy) plus tier 3 PA (mantle, healing and imbue die). But as I finally got some time and reached lvl 20, I changed my mind...

So my first ED set up willl be Draconic Incarnation (tier 5) and Primal Avatar (tier 4). This toon has 61 ED points to spend.

DI: acid, no breathe, no mantle, ruin and greater ruin, wellspring, DCs (and I'll try out the tier 3 Daunting Roar that Strimtom says works with the Eldritch Aura)
PA: Mantle (Thorn, which includes force, Heart as secondary), Cocoon, Carrion Swarm, no Thorn, +2 CHA/INT (INT for Trance), Evergreen

From both trees I will spend some DPs into metamagic cost reduction (mainly -18 for max).

Acid Draconic Bloodline for procing DI core 3 Elemental Blood via Carrion Swarm (i am hoping that the DoT works as I wish) and better for ruins
+6 imbue die
+3 enchantment DCs (Hold Monster Mass)
+3 <other> DCs (i am not decided; conj for EBT; transmut for ruin/greater ruin)
hopefully a TON of free spell points from Wellpsirng and Evergreen allowing me to comfortably spam EBT and the Ruins fullly meta'ed

With my eldritch aura and blasts based on Force (and not evil), plus electric plus acid plus poison, i do realise something has to give; it will cause me all sorts of item juggling problems i am sure.

Feats (planned)
- Wellspring, Epic Eldritch Blast, Ruin, Greater Ruin (the two ruin feats are a pita; i really wanted to take Force of Personality)
- Perfect Single Weapon Fighting, Epic Pact Dice, Deific Warding, Embodiment of Law
- Not decided between Feywild or Celestia

Melee: as I have opted not to take a more melee-focussed ED, I will probably stick with the Shadowblade for the insta-kills and try to farm Legendary Willow and if i get very lucky Esper one of these days

Last edited:

Frantik

Level 24 was a turning point; a very positive one. Not only am I getting used to the build, but the extra Eldtritch blast die and the +6 imbues from DI and PA are feeling good. As a first lifer, mostly soloing on ee at +/- level? First 3 Sschinderlyn quests were fun and basically zero prob - I did take couple of Splinterskull end reward goggles for DW; need to upgrade Bloodstone. Evergreen is proccing nicely and am looking forward to upgraded Wellspring.