Fan Fiction - "Master Says" chapters 1-2

Hi, Xeang from Thelanis...had fun just writing my character into the world of Eberron. Here are the first 2 chapters though I have more done:

"MASTER SAYS"

Chapter 1: A Cooking Disaster

Master always said to me, “One day, Disciple Xeang, you will turn the world upside down even as your cooking does my stomach. Should they not know the joy you have provided me?” Perhaps that is why he kept me so many years on the temple grounds with hardly a visit to the nearby village. But in his exasperation, he finally wrote down a list of ingredients for his 100th birthday feast including bonanga root to which he sent me by ship to Stormreach on the continent of Xen’drik to obtain.

“This time Xeang you shall not fail me, the abbots, or the other students. Do not come back without this root,” Master said. I had never heard of bonanga root but he carefully wrote down that and all the needed ingredients on a parchment and placed it in my care. Then the head of the Order of the White Lotus Monastery, Master Icku, struck me on the head so fast I didn’t see his hand sending me on my way. “Go!” he said. Despite Master’s age and gait, the temple abbot was not to be trifled with when he grew impatient.

I quickly shuffled my way out of the Pagoda and with the parchment and a ticket for the ship Wanderer I made my way down the path and toward the sea with a suppressed smile on my face. I couldn’t wait to see the world outside these monastery grounds. I boarded the ship not noticing the many side stares of the crew and passengers at a monk still in temple robes with a stupid smile on his face that he couldn’t erase. I looked over the port side and saw distant isles of adventure and pictured exotic places and peoples.

But now all I can see is Master Icku’s face yelling. At me. Again. I must have really messed something up. Master often complained that my cooking tasted like sand -- and for once I agreed with him. And this is where my adventure began – with the taste of sand.

I coughed up lunch -- or was it breakfast or dinner? I still tasted sand. I wanted to get Master’s face and voice out of my head, but there it was over and over: “Hoy Monk! Hoy Monk!” I wanted to smash that ceaseless piping voice. My head pounded. Finally I opened up a bloodshot eye. A pile of puke and colored sand drooled from my mouth.

“Oh you’re awake! Hoy you aren’t undead are you?” I gazed up at a smarmy vision of half a man who seemed to jangle with a number of necklaces, rings, and attachments of bling. Almost every finger had one or more rings, and I thought I recognized my White Dragon ring I won in a sparring tournament among the temple monks. I blearily stared at him seeing shipwreck and cargo all over the beach. In a nearby sandbar standing lazily crooked was about half of the ship Wanderer.

“Can you talk?” he said. “Speak to me!” I slowly started dragging myself to my knees, eschewed some more sand and bile and saw my robes were in rags. My monastery tattoos showed – perhaps how this halfling knew I was a monk. Cuts and bruises spotted my body and the bone under my right calf ached enough to give me a slight limp. The halfling continued talking to me though I hadn’t responded yet. “Hoy you were on that ship that was attacked by that dragon? You are the first survivor we’ve seen and sailors been washing up for hours.”

Again I studied my apparent benefactor. While one hand stuffed something into his pocket, the other clutched a small scrap of parchment. He studied it, wrinkled his brow and said, “Hoy, you were clutching this in your hand when I, uh, came to help resuscitate you. It’s just a grocery list though.” Clearly recognizing it had no value for him he proffered, “Here you go!” and handed back to me Master’s birthday bash list of his favorite foods. He continued, “Though you are not going to find any of those things here on Korthos. We’ve been land-locked – erm – dragon-locked from supplies for some weeks now.” The halfing was incessant. But at least I learned where I was and a bit of what happened.

I vaguely remembered now the crew pointing to the sky and shouting “Dragon! Dragon!” It was a gorgeous White Dragon. But the crew was fixated at me with fear. “Do something!” they demanded of me. They knew the White Lotus Monastery practiced the art of White Dragon Fist style of kung fu. ‘Pai Te Lung’ it was called in the original tongue. Rumors abounded that the Order actually kept a petite white dragon as a symbol and object of study in the nearby mountains by the temple. But if so, I had never seen it. The sailors were blaming me and asking me to make this dragon heel.

The crew didn’t shout long as their worst fears were realized and dragon came swooping towards them. We were near the island of Korthos, about half way in our journey to Stormreach from islands and lands to the far east called Kara Tur. The sailors tried to make for land at the isle of Korthos, but on a second swoop the dragon breathed a cone of ice and cold that looked a bit like he was spitting a blizzard. It froze the stern of the ship along with a dozen sailors. The ship bow on the starboard side suddenly hit a rock nearing shore and the frozen back half of the ship broke off and the sailors with their eternal frozen faces of fear shattered into thousands of pieces. I was knocked off by the ramming and flew into sea. And that is the last I remember until my sand sandwich. Hmmm, is that how sandwich got its name?

I came back to the present at the voice “Hoy! Hoy! This is a nice piece,” as the short grave robber plucked something shiny – an earring from the skullish remains of a sailor. Apparently, he had continued a monologue in my direction despite my stupor of not responding to him once yet. Finally, I said, “Are you looking for survivors or looting bodies?” He feigned indignance and replied, “Now don’t go blaming a poor rogue for making a living! Besides I didn’t take nothing from you; you got nothing worth taking!” I glanced at the dragon ring on his finger. “Yes, yes…I seem to have misplaced my belongings!” I said with an edge in my voice.

Noticing my eyes staring at his ‘earnings’ he chirped up, “It’s right dangerous to walk around without a blade. For my good deed of the day I can give you something back at camp. Follow me!” He started up the hill without looking back to see if I was coming. Master often said, “It’s best not to open a jar of pickles without smelling them first.” I never really understood that proverb of his. How can you smell something first if it is in a jar? But it finally dawned on me what he meant – sometimes you have no choice but to open the jar and find out what kind of pickle you have gotten yourself into.

I followed the rogue.

Chapter 2: Appetizers Are Filling

We came to a base camp of a few tents and a campfire were well surrounded by rocky bluffs that helped protect it from the icy winds created by the white dragon. Seaside view was open and I could see better the ravages of shipwrecks including the Wanderer. Snow continuously drifted down against the contrast of palm trees and exotic green plants that normally grew on this balmy island.

At the far edge of camp stood a statue of a metal man. Then suddenly the statue moved its head looking left, then right, then straight at me. I had heard of such a race of beings – ‘warforged’ they were called. Its eyes glowed red staring at me.

The rogue did a playful summersault over a hammock tied between two palm trees then went to a crate in the center of camp. He bent over and started pulling out rusty swords and daggers, a bow that had been rebound by twine where it had snapped, and an assortment of other pillage washed up from the flotsam of wrecks and crew. “Here ya go,” he chimed, “pick a weapon for ya.” I picked up a moldering staff, for I had been trained in such a weapon. But after surveying its condition I tossed it back on the pile. “No thanks. I prefer my hands free,” I said. “A pugilist, eh?” retorted the rogue. “No worries, then… consider this pile of fine weapons a gift from me anyway. And as they say, ‘tit for tat,’ maybe you can now do a little something for me?”

“That depends on what it is,” I said not willing to commit much to this halfling who spoke like a caravan barker selling soap to a clean man. “I’ll take that as a yes,” he replied. “Here’s the deal: Cellimas is waiting up by a cave and I need you to go tell her we’ll be along shortly after finishing the, um, salvage of the beach.”

“That’s it? Give a message to this Cellimas?” I asked.

“Well, I’m sure Cellimas would appreciate any help you can give her. And it will make her less likely to smash my noggin when I catch up.”

“And who shall I say sent me?”

“Oi, in all the hustle of saving you I didn’t right properly introduce myself! I’m Jeets. Jeets Shimis. And over there the big lug is Talibron my partner. And what shall we call you?”

“My name is Pai Xeang Lum,” I said.

“Xeang, hey? I don’t know any Xeangs. That ain’t a proper name of the islands nor Stormreach,” Jeets pointed out.

“No, it is from the continent of Kara Tur. It means, ‘White Rising Dragon,’” I said. I didn’t explain that originally, I was from the west, but orphaned to the White Lotus Monastery where they gave me this Kara Turan name. I didn’t really remember my original given name. I was forever called Sidi Xeang, or ‘Disciple Xeang,’ since being adopted by the abbots.

“Rising, huh? Think its better I just call you Xeang then,” said Jeets. “Now that we’ve made proper introductions and you are now part of my crew, you best get going then. Cellimas is at the top of the grotto. Tell her to keep her knickers on.”

I didn’t stop to argue this new adoption as an underling on his team, but moved towards Talibron by the pathway out. Short on words unlike his rogue partner, the warforged simply said, “Cellimas is in the grotto. I shall show you the way.” With that he started down the path.

I followed a bit passing many barrels and crates that apparently Jeets and Talibron had managed to salvage from the beach and had started moving them towards the cave either to protect their haul from other scavengers or the elements. They had worked hard and there were dozens of barrels stuffed with all kinds of supplies from the various cargos. Talibron saw me looking at them and said, “These are all from dragon-wrecked ships like yours. Feel free to take what you want.” I doubted Jeets would make the same offer without more tit for tat. So I perused a few barrels and found several with medicines, oils, bandages and healing herbs. I took a pouch of such healing vials for my cuts and bruises and for any future mishaps on this island.

We came to the grotto and Talbron pointed out that Cellimas was just up ahead but that he would wait here for Jeets. I thanked him and entered the grotto.

Master always said, “helping others is helping your feet.” I said, “Don’t you mean ‘helping yourself’ in some grand cosmic karma way?” “No,” Master replied. “It’s helping your feet because it boundlessly means you will be doing some errand for them which means more walking and more standing on your feet. Makes them strong and tough and healthy.”

My feet carried me into a grotto. A hole of light shone from the sun above. Ahead by some round sealed cavern door was a youngish woman – a human – with blond locks falling on her steel blue armor. I surmised that his was the cleric Cellimas I was sent to find. She held a shield in one hand and a mace in the other and upon hearing me behind her she turned startled lifting up her mace like a torch. She blurted out, “Who in Kyber are you? Identify yourself!”

“I am the Monk, Xeang,” I said. “A dragon attacked my ship, and I alone survived. I then met your companions, who asked me to protect you until they arrive.” Her voice tartly replied, 'Until they arrive? Is Jeets still sifting through the wreckage? I’ll wring his little throat until his tongue falls out! Oh... (sigh), If you're willing to help me, I don't fancy waiting around for those idiots anymore.”

“What are you doing in these caves?” I asked. She stated, “I've been hired to clear this cave of Sahuagin. Jeets and Talbron are supposed to help me; I hope they don't tarry too long. If you come with me, you should be comfortable with Sahuagin blood all over those….” She stared at me seeing me empty handed and in rags…”um, those hands of yours.” She cocked an eyebrow in what I guessed was doubt that I would be of any help.

'Before we go I would like to ask you another question.” “What do you wish to know?” she asked. Curious about what kind of fight I may be getting myself into, and fearful to break the code of my Order – after all, the teachings of the White Lotus Monastery are ‘to seek peace always, and only if threatened let the soul become a warrior.” So, I asked, “What are Sahuagin?”

"They’re ugly, scaly, slimy, and they like to sacrifice innocents to their dark Devourer god. For these reasons, I am eager to smite them," She said. Hmmm. That sounded reasonable to me.

Two more questions I reasoned though I saw the impatience in her eyes: “What about your companions Jeets and Talbron? Are they your friends? Will they be coming to help us? Do you trust them?” I was mainly concerned about Jeets turning his back on us if opportunity came his way. Cellimas pondered a moment seeing my concern about him and said, “At first I was worried about turning my back on Jeets, but he changed my mind long ago. By the Silver Flame, he can still get my blood boiling sometimes! But... he’s never let me down when it truly mattered. Also, Talbron thinks the world of him.”

“This Talbron – the warforged – why does he not come help you then?” I asked. “Talbron has my highest respect. He has history with Jeets, and they're inseparable. Still, I'd wish they'd hurry. With all the Sahuagin in these caves, I’ll sorely miss Talbron's sorcery,” she said.

Hmmm, Talbron casts some kind of magic, I pondered. I was anxious to see such a thing. In the temple I had seen many abbots and teachers do amazing things with nature’s energies and our life energies – called “ki” – but had only heard about others delving into other realms in order to bring those energies into our world. I kept these thoughts to myself and simply said, “I am ready, let’s go.” Cellimas smiled wryly and pulled a lever which rolled back the large round sigil stone and opened up a passage to some wet caverns filled with Sahuagin. “Let’s be about it!” She commanded.

We shortly came across another gate built by the crafty Sahuagin blocking our way. But a ladder went up the cliff apparently left by their sentries. But there was no sentry at top. Perhaps they had become lazy from the many weeks? months? of quiet that had ensued during the assault on this island of Korthos from these passages. Cellimas ordered me to sneak up the ladder, open the gate and kill any Sahuagin I might find.

I cautiously climbed up. Roasted remains of a rat were in a cold fire. The ledge dropped down on the other side. This was no challenge for me. I deftly leaped to the stone floor below. There was no immediate lever or latch to open the iron gate on this side either. On the other side of the gate Cellimas waved me to go on down the tunnel. Torch lights every dozen meter or so provided enough vision to see my way. The stone floor was smoother now.

Suddenly I heard the shuffling and wheezing of some creature coming from the corridor ahead. I rounded the corner and there hunched by a lever was exactly what she described – a scaly grey blue humanoid with what looked like a giant fish head with sharp teeth. It’s back was turned towards me.

I could perhaps sneak up and surprise the fish-man. But I felt like I was about to cross a line. I had sparred and fought hundreds – thousands of times – being raised in the monastery. They had tattooed by name and my accomplishments on my inner thigh as I trained as a monk and achieved skills and levels in the White Dragon Fist style of Kung Fu. And while I had my share of bruises, bumps and broken bones – as well as given more than my fair share to others – I had never killed anyone. Or anything. I once fought off some bandits harassing some peasants in the local village. But they fled quickly without much of a fight.

This seemed different. I did not doubt Cellimas. These Sahuagin would just as soon rip out your throat as stare at you with their cold fish eyes on the side of their head.

I steeled myself. I crossed the line.

I was taught to walk and not be seen or heard. So I went into quiet mode and snuck up behind the creature. When just three feet away I hesitated. The Sahaugin, who was bigger and heavier than me, started to turn and face me. His giant side eye saw me and widened further with surprise. He flashed chiseled teeth at me. But then I launched my attack – a snap kick into his groin bending him over followed by dropping an elbow on his neck. I heard a terrible crunching sound of vertebrae breaking. It was over. Though he saw me in the end I was too fast. Two strikes. He never blocked nor countered. He lay with the same look of surprise staring at the ceiling but his mouth was wide open, almost unhinged, screaming for help that would not come.

I controlled a convulsion in my stomach from what I just did. I steadied myself and remembered my mission. I pulled the corroded lever which raised the gate where Cellimas was waiting.

Shortly she came up the path jogging with her armor clinking. Talbron and Jeets were right behind her, their salvage job of the island finished. She looked at me and the Sahuagin on the floor and cocked another eyebrow at me in some surprise. Perhaps I wasn’t as useless as I appeared. “Good job,” she said, “but no time to dawdle! She ran past me with her companions in tow. There was a gleam in her eye that sparkled with zeal at the thought of smiting some Sahuagin herself.

Talbron also noted the dead Sahuagin at my feet without a speck of blood on me and said, “Xeang! We come to assist you. Onward to glory!” Jeets also nodded his head towards me taking in the scene and said, “Cellimas isn't too honked at me. Thanks for putting in the good word!” Then he turned to catch up with Cellimas. “Doncha worry, Cellimas. I'm here to watch your behind now,” he said with a sly grin. Cellimas ignored him.

Left behind for a moment still dazed a bit, I took one more glimpse at the Sahuagin and the lever and then picked up my feet to speed to them. After all, I had now crossed the line.

The passage wound around for a while and then we came to one more door with a lever. Cellimas spoke, “The evil aura is oppressive. Sahuagin are behind this door.” She paused. “'I'll take point. Talbron, cover me with your spells. Jeets, kill anything that tries to flank us. Xeang, you open the door!”

I yanked on the lever and the door rolled open. “CHARGE!” Cellimas bellowed as she ran through the door. “What? The place is empty!” She declared in some disappointment and surprise. Jeets said, 'Hoy, where's the bloody Sahuagin? Then the door closed behind us. Talbron started to say what we were all thinking, “It would be logical to assume...” and Jeets finished, “TRAP!”

5 Sahuagin leaped down from ledges about with shadows and movement of more behind them. Cellimas cast some prayer spell to assist us; Jeets slid into a crevice of shadows in preparation to spring on them; Talbron began casting some sorcery; I took a breath, steadied my heart and gathered my ki.

I looked up seeing the field calmer. I felt I could see them in slow motion even in the heat of battle. This was part of my training called “No Mind.” It is a centered position that allowed me to move and strike without hesitation of thought – in a furry of blows. I glanced forward seeing a large Sahuagin charging at Cellimas and me. I must have appeared stunned and helpless to the oncoming fish fighter. He raised his spear to impale me. Even Cellimas sucked in a breath seeing me apparently paralyzed at what was coming at me. But as he began to thrust his spear at my head I did ‘Dragon Sweeps the Floor’ ducking low and spinning my heel catching him at his feet. He fell with a thud on his back and I leapt on him with a Leopard Paw strike to the throat. He was done.

I didn’t hesitate this time. I rolled off him and onto my feet and charged towards Talbron and Jeets who were surrounded by four Sahuagin with claws and spears. Electrical energy poured from Talibron’s hands into one of the Sahuagin, frying him where he stood. He collapsed, a sickly-sweet smell of fish rising from his charred body. Jeets sprung from the shadows and impaled his dagger into the spine of one which had not seen him. It was a critical strike separating vertebrae instantly killing him. I leapt over that very body that fell and launched a side heel kick into another Sahuagin. He fell against the wall reeling from the kick and cavern wall. I hammer-fisted him between his legs and followed with a Dragon Tail Kick into his solar plexus slamming him again into the wall where he fell motionless.

The fourth of these was already coming down with a claw to my head from the side. Seeing him with my peripheral vision I parried with my left arm, stepped in by his leg and flung him over my hip to the ground. I then employed my ki summoning one of the four natural elements I studied – fire – the very life ki in me -- and sent it through my hand as I impressed my palm into his chest. Releasing all that heat overwhelmed his heart finishing him and branding my hand print on his scaly flesh.

But it was not over! Cellimas spoke, 'There's more of them up there. Stay alert!” Another handful of Sahuagin flung themselves on us from above. Then she cried out, “The righteous smite you!” as she swung her mace. Another skirmish ensued. Cellimas continued to chant some prayers or divine spells. Talbron was zapping creatures even as they fell from the upper ledges. The rogue darted to and fro stabbing and slashing, then back to the shadows.

But even as Jeets backstabbed another, a Sahuagin thrust his spear at Jeets shredding part of his leather cuirass and his flesh. Jeets spun a full 360 from the blow and fell. His spin must have actually redirected the spear so it only penetrated his external flesh. I saw him slowly start crawling to his feet. As the Sahuagin was about to thrust again at the prone rogue I body slammed him out of the way. The spear struck rocks instead. The Sahuagin stumbled and yelled in fury as he turned toward me. But I planted another iron palm technique on him to his side upper body , this time releasing the ki of water. The release of cold froze his heart and his twisted expression of hate.

We only had a breath before another round of Sahuagin dropped among us. Would this not end? Cellimas taunted them: “Sahuagin wretches, are you scared of me? Come down and fight!' They obliged her. More creatures from their black lagoon poured out of the upper tunnels and leapt down. I heard Cellimas cry out, “For the Flame!” even as one fell on my back launching me forward. Instinctually I summersaulted on the ground to avoid a hard impact from the ground. None the less my right shoulder ached and was likely severely bruised from the impact. Adrenalin and ki kept me from noticing it much then. I spun and faced him. He thrust a spear at me twice but I dodged left then right avoiding them. Frustrated he swung the spear at me. I leapt back and instantly charged seeing my opportunity. As he recovered from his hard swing to strike again, I was already inside him able to land furry of fists into him cracking then breaking his ribs; the third punch driving the broken rib into his organs. He fell and bled out.

In the turmoil the others continued the battle. I saw one last Sahuagin, the largest, still standing. He tilted his head toward the ceiling, perhaps to bellow and summon reinforcements. But he was too slow. Talbron again sent lightning into its body. Not to be undone by Talbron I summoned the ki of air and struck him in the back with my hand also releasing electrical energy. Between the two bolts of energy the giant fishman eyes popped out. He fell to his knees and then on to his face. It was over.

Almost a score of Sahuagin lay on the large cavern floor. Cellimas noted it, “Such is the fate of evil.” Her righteous indignation was validated by the slain at her feet. Talbron had a dent in his living armor. Jeets was applying medicinal leaves and bandages to the terrible gash in his chest. Cellimas was untouched but I was bruised.

We inspected the bodies to make sure they were dead. Jeets was counting the 2 or 3 he killed. Apparently for every kill he collected an extra bounty from Cellimas the leader. That may have kept him motivated to fight. Jeets gave me credit for the last kill and all of my new team looked at me with new respect. Apparently more of them had fallen at my hands than the rest of them combined.

Master had said at the end of any fight, “Don’t keep score any more than you look at the increase of your waistline after a good meal. It spoils the meal.” Not that master ever credited me with a good meal.

“Now, let’s find a way out of here,” Cellimas said waking me from my memory. Jeets shuffled over to a large door with a massive center lock on it. After studying it for a moment he said, “Can’t pick this…anyone see a key.”

Talbron’s booming voice declared, “Curious. I just stepped on something. A latch?' Suddenly a large grating in the center of the cavern to which water was below slid open. “'Good work,” Cellimas chimed and added “I see a key down there! Who's up for a swim?”

Jeets refused, “'Hydrophobia mean anything to you?' Cellimas retorted, “'I can't swim in this armor. For the Flame's sake, someone go down there!” I sighed and accepted my role. I dove into the waters and saw the glint of the metal key on some small Devourer altar. Below this was another grate still closed that led to water filled caverns below and the sea outside. Surely this was one of the egresses from which the Sahuagin had infiltrated the island of Korthos. I swam up. They nodded their heads in approval that I had the key.

“You are a valiant companion, Xeang! Now let’s open the door and finish with this vulgar place,” Cellimas exclaimed. “I am anxious to proceed, unlock the door if you please,” remarked Talbron. I looked at Jeets to see if he would say something. “Don’t look at me, you’ve got the key!” he said. I unlocked the door and we explored a new passage.

The new passage way broaden before turning to the north. Some strange ancient rest shrines had long ago been built in this tunnel, but not to the Devourer, rather some peaceful faith that denoted between day and night by their symbols. I was unfamiliar with them being from Kara Tur most of my life. There was cave moss growing on the sides of them, but there was good energy here I could feel.

'I'm weary. Let's take a moment to rest,” Cellimas said and plunked herself down by the shrine. Suddenly a wave of exhaustion came over me. A lot had happened since being revived from the shipwreck. I sat next to the old moon shrine and by Cellimas studying the ancient artifact closer. Talbron saw my curiosity and said, “This is a moon shrine. Touch it. It will restore your health, and if you are a spellcaster, your ability to use magic. The shrine will require a few minutes to recharge afterwards.” I carefully laid hands on the shrine, I felt a humming and good ki filling me. It started in my hands and spread down my arms and all through my body. I felt renewed like from a strong cup of Crab Bark and Couch Grass tea they served at the temple.

While the three of us rested and even laughed among ourselves sharing the adventure so far, Jeets on the other hand was anxious to explore more. He looked at Cellimas and I nodding by the shrine and winked saying, “Ha, I still got plenty of stamina! I can go all night long!”

Not taking the bait of his back handed insult/brag Cellimas simply replied, “Why don't you scout ahead then? Just don't get yourself in trouble.” Clearly the Cleric was used to all of Jeets’ entendre and flirtations. “Now you're talking! I'll take a little peep,” said Jeets and started going further up the cave.

After a little while Cellimas looked at me and said, “If you're done resting, go and scout ahead with Jeets.” Was she showing concern that Jeets had gotten himself into trouble? Or just that Jeets would bring back trouble for us? I stood up and stretched my legs and started after him.

I didn’t have to go very far. Jeets was standing and staring at another metal gate. But it wasn’t the locked gate that troubled him. Rather massive sharp blades perpetually flexed back and forth in front of the door inviting anyone who wished to cross them to be ‘sliced and diced and served on rice’ and the students commonly said of our daily gruel at the monastery.

“Crikey!” I heard Jeets exclaim. Jeets then took notice of me and said, “'Hoy, that's a nasty trap. Lucky for you I'm here.” “Why is that?” I asked. “'Only blokes with Rogue skills can deal with traps,” he said. “Blokes like me!” He looked at my slightly skeptical face. “Doncha worry,” he said, “If you really want to, you can find a trainer to teach you Rogue abilities….once you've got enough experience.” I was surprised Jeets didn’t offer to train me. For a price of course. “I’ll wait for you to disable the trap,” I politely said.”

Jeets strolled up to the gate with confidence. But then he slowed down as he approached. He was studying, looking for something. Suddenly his face lit up with delight. He took some picks and tools and began working on something out of my view. There was a loud snap sound. Suddenly he straightened up. “Ha! It was no match for yours truly! You can open the door now.”

Just then Cellimas and Talbron walked up behind us. She saw us talking over the trap and said, “You two having fun? It's time for us to go!” She started through the gate. We talked and we steadily walked. A serious trap like that must mean we were coming to someone or something important. Cellimas well-versed on Sahuagin deduced from her knowledge that it would be a female priestess in charge of this sect of Sahuagin camped out in the tunnels beneath the village of Korthos. She said, 'The High Priestess should be up ahead. The onus for much suffering rests squarely upon her slimy webbed hands.”

We twisted another turn or two and came upon a final gate. Jeets could deduce no traps. Cellimas peered through the bars. There was another large cavern with a massive devourer shrine in it. There a large female priestess dressed in a greater garb of colors and necklaces of bones and similar accoutrement stood waving her hands by the shrine and chanting in melodic yet harsh syllables of her fish language. “There she is... performing some kind of profane blood magic” stated Cellimas as though she wanted to spit. Talbron said, “I will open the door. Prepare yourselves!” Talbron pulled the lever. “Go!” he instructed. At the noise of the creaking the high priest stopped her garbled invection and turned to face her intruders along with two guards. They charged us. We charged them.

Cellimas zeal carried her to front. My speed kept me next to her, while Jeets ran along the sides of the shadowed walls to become less noticed and Talbron cast his sorcery from behind us. Thus it was the evil Priestess began casting behind her two guards whose bodies and spears bolted toward us in an inevitable conflict.

‘Too fast!’ I thought as I tried to plunge past the spear’s melee. It caught me in the left arm scraping off skin and muscle. But I could still fight. A left knife edge kick to its knee buckled it and a spinning heel kick to the back of its other leg brought it down to its knees. We call that ‘chopping down the tree’ in our sparring classes for bigger opponents. Now with its head at my level and the Sahaugin’s body crippled I could easily deflect a poor thrust of its spear as it turned toward me. I sealed its neck with my arms and twisted its head in a clean jerk.

The other guard had also scored on Cellimas in the charge. Even though her mace came down on the spear just before it reached her heart, the shaft merely bent and an angle and was driven into her leg between the plating. She screamed in pain and frustration. But Jeets exacted revenge with a myriad of slashes. And Cellimas hobbled behind it when it turned to see its new attacker Jeets, and she mashed her mace into the back of its skull.

Meanwhile Talbron and the High Priestess were engaged in a battle of spells and counter spells at each other. The balance of power shifted though when the two guards fell and the three of us pounced on her in the stalemate. She withered and fell beneath our onslaught.

Despite our injuries, we rejoiced in our victory. But then Cellimas spied the shrine more carefully. A fire burned there with what appeared to be human bones in it. She said, “According to our employer, there's a secret passage around here somewhere leading to Korthos. You boys look for it. I must cleanse the profane energies around the shrine.”

This pleased Jeets to no end. “Let Cellimas do her thing. You 'n I'll take care of the important stuff: The treasure!” With that he bounded off to what looked like a chest further on. It was filled with some Sahuagin jewelery, but mostly human items likely taken from their victims. Jeets scoured and made first picks for himself. Then he said, “I've got my share. Go ahead and take what you want from the chest.”

Treasure was not my thing. We were taught to seek treasure inside more than treasure outside of us. Nonetheless I was tired of being in rags from the shipwreck. I found some clothes, actually quite similar to our white dragon outfits and robes from the monastery. There were a number of sharp starfish that had been polished by the Sahuagin as jewelery but would function as a weapon I was trained in – shurikans, ‘throwing stars.’ These may be useful. Finally I took a ring at the bottom of the chest that I thought might provide me with many meals if I sold it. When Cellimas later saw the stingy portion of loot that I took she insisted that I take some hand wraps that pugilists learned to fight with when without other weapons from her Order of the Silver Flame. I bowed in acceptance of her gift.

Talbron was still staring at a wall quiet like usual. When I approached he said, “You’ve handled yourself quite well. Keep it up!” High praise from this one I thought. I looked carefully at the wall that Talbron faced. In the temple were often trained to observe a room or an object, close our eyes, and say everything we could remember. It honed our minds in observing the unusual. It was this practice that made me notice one stone different in color and design than the others of this constructed wall. I could feel a light draft coming from holes in the wall. I pushed on the stone. Whoosh! The wall slid open.

It opened to a large finished room filled with boxes and crates. It was some storage facility in the village of Korthos! This was how the slimy devils were entering into the village, Cellimas noted with disgust. They were capturing and murdering innocent Korthosians! Perhaps we helped stop, in Cellimas’ terms, this unspeakable evil!

There was a well-made door. Behind it, the three assured me, we would find the village of Korthos. Cellimus walked me to the door. “We've made it, Xeang! The door ahead should take us out to the village. Jeets piped with a broad smile on his face, “Brilliant! Tidy lasses and pints up the wazoo, here I come!” More stoically Talbron spoke, “Our journey has ended, and we part ways soon. Farewell!” Cellimas spoke again to have the last word, “May you always walk the righteous path, Xeang, and the Holy Flame look kindly upon your days and deeds.'

I pushed the door open. I stepped out of the grotto and found myself in Korthos Village. Bright sunlight sparkled down among the ever-falling snow flakes from the Dragon. Villagers moved to and fro slightly bent from the weariness of a cold they were not used to and from the imposed threat of the Sea creatures. The Sahuagin had threatened this place for generations - judging from how it looked now, the Sahuagin were winning.

‘Welcome to Korthos’ I thought.

Chapter 3: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/fan-fiction-master-says-chapter-3.459/
Chapter 4: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/fan-fiction-master-says-chapter-4.460/
Chapter 5: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/fan-fiction-master-says-chapter-5a.883/

Last edited: