Finding certain types of items

drjoans

kinda-known member
So I often use the wiki to find items for the build I'm working on. Like looking for nullification items, or items with accuracy. I'm just wondering why if i enter 'nullification items' or 'accuracy items' into the search field I can't find the full list. As opposed to I go back to google and search 'ddo nullifcation items' or 'ddo accuracy items' I can actually get exactly what I need. Like, I know the page exists, I'm just confused why I can't easily find it within the wiki without google.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
So I often use the wiki to find items for the build I'm working on. Like looking for nullification items, or items with accuracy. I'm just wondering why if i enter 'nullification items' or 'accuracy items' into the search field I can't find the full list. As opposed to I go back to google and search 'ddo nullifcation items' or 'ddo accuracy items' I can actually get exactly what I need. Like, I know the page exists, I'm just confused why I can't easily find it within the wiki without google.
Make sure to type "Category:" before your search. The search bar won't find categories (the name we use for lists) reliably unless you tell it to look for them.

(As an example, if you were looking for items with Nullification, you'd want to search for "Category:Nullification items", although "C:Nullification items" would also work.)

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Search is funky.. why is that? :coffee: *I now know the diff between Item: and Discussion: now though. heh.

PurpleSerpent

Search is funky.. why is that? :coffee: *I now know the diff between Item: and Discussion: now though. heh.
Long story short, we used to use a third-party search program, but that stopped working back in 2021 and it's proving really difficult to replace it, and in the meantime we're stuck with the default MediaWiki search, which isn't very good at its job.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
can u use mozilla's ? IDK about search engines, just that it was the BEST invention in the 21st century ;) Yeah, I know, the 90's but.. businesses caught on later.

*Wiki is completely voluntarily funded so.. hmm..

PurpleSerpent

can u use mozilla's ? IDK about search engines, just that it was the BEST invention in the 21st century ;)
Unfortunately, not quite how this one works - the wiki's internal search bar has to use a program (called an Extension) specifically written for MediaWiki, so Mozilla's search engine wouldn't be compatible.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Who owns wiki domain, btw? I can search it but not the same.. assuming you know :) cept I'm searching too now LOL

PurpleSerpent

Who owns wiki domain, btw? I can search it but not the same.. assuming you know :) cept I'm searching too now LOL
The wiki's founder, Xevo, owns the domain name - he's also in charge of paying the fees to the registry, which is why we have adverts on the wiki for users without an account.