First Life Hardcore Paladin Build - Updated to U65

Dom

Dom's SWF Hardcore Pally (link) contains feats, enhancements, epic destinies, gearing, commentary about choices and a breakdown for the most important mechanics. It is hosted in Google Docs because it's 10 pages long, and is accessible for anyone who doesn't use the Maetrim DDO Character Builder. Feel free to download a local copy, or bookmark the link in case I make minor adjustments based on feedback. The build is current as of Update 65. I'm happy to answer any questions about it.

_fully_carroted_

Someone directed me to your guide as I wanted to run a SWF paladin this season. I was just reading through it, and there are a couple of things that seem odd.

• two AP choices that each give 25% competence bonus to hit points, and therefore don't stack
  • Epic Toughness is called out, but CON is left at 16 so it's unavailable
  • Child of Faith at level 3?
  • Six skill points assigned per level, but a first-life paladin with 10 int only has 2 points per level.
  • Precision shows up at level 30, but has a 13 Dex requirement - and this character only has 8 dex.

Did you copypaste the wrong guide in there?

Last edited:

Dom

Someone directed me to your guide as I wanted to run a SWF paladin this season. I was just reading through it, and there are a couple of things that seem odd.

• two AP choices that each give 25% competence bonus to hit points, and therefore don't stack
  • Epic Toughness is called out, but CON is left at 16 so it's unavailable
  • Child of Faith at level 3?
  • Six skill points assigned per level, but a first-life paladin with 10 int only has 2 points per level.
  • Precision shows up at level 30, but has a 13 Dex requirement - and this character only has 8 dex.

Did you copypaste the wrong guide in there?
1) Thank you for pointing that out. I forgot that KotC was changed recently and gives 25% competence, so instead, you would take the +6 CON from Sacred Defender rather than the 25% competence.
2) With regards to points 2, 4 and 5, the build file includes a +8 tome of supreme ability, so you will have enough CON, and DEX for epic toughness and precision, and as you level up, you will have more skill points.
3) Child of Faith grants +2 attack and damage with favoured weapons. It's helpful for bumping your to hit on a toon with limited gear, and there isn't too many other feats to choose from that would be beneficial at level 3 (or at 18 if you were to swap it with toughness).

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

1) Thank you for pointing that out. I forgot that KotC was changed recently and gives 25% competence, so instead, you would take the +6 CON from Sacred Defender rather than the 25% competence.
2) With regards to points 2, 4 and 5, the build file includes a +8 tome of supreme ability, so you will have enough CON, and DEX for epic toughness and precision, and as you level up, you will have more skill points.
3) Child of Faith grants +2 attack and damage with favoured weapons. It's helpful for bumping your to hit on a toon with limited gear, and there isn't too many other feats to choose from that would be beneficial at level 3 (or at 18 if you were to swap it with toughness).
so you made a hardcore build that requires a +8 supreme tome. wow

Dom

so you made a hardcore build that requires a +8 supreme tome. wow
LOL. I made a build guide that reflected how I built the hardcore character that got reaper wings. I specifically called out those assumptions at the beginning of the file. Guess what? The build will still be strong without it. You have to swap a whole 2 feats... big deal. Precision -> Power Attack, and Epic Toughness -> Weapon Focus: Slashing.

It doesn't break the build by not having the tome.

_fully_carroted_

1. Yes, I added the CON but forgot to note that in my response.
2. Definitely missed the supreme tome. I already have three characters with a +8 tome on my main server, so I won't use one in HC (same with the racial tome). Tough to justify $80ish of tome purchases on a throwaway character.
3. I guess that makes sense.

Dom

1. Yes, I added the CON but forgot to note that in my response.
2. Definitely missed the supreme tome. I already have three characters with a +8 tome on my main server, so I won't use one in HC (same with the racial tome). Tough to justify $80ish of tome purchases on a throwaway character.
3. I guess that makes sense.
Understandable. Not everyone wants to spend the money on hardcore, or in general. If you still want to use the build (as I said it would still be very solid for hardcore), you can make the two feat swaps I mentioned above and it won't really hinder the build in any way.