Haverdasher elite.

Hoccleve

Hope it's not too cheeky to drop this in. A story...

A few nights ago, I finally got to Heroic completionist. I am a long time super casual player, and this was a nice moment for me. For a while I'd settled on the plan that after the HTR, I'd go with wis-based monk stick build lives. Not perhaps the strongest, but just really like the feel of them. Might do a few RLs, or a few more EPLs, or just enjoy exploring some lesser known corners of the game. I was thinking a nice slow life, working out better gear now that I wasn't jumping builds each time, perhaps trying to get to L20 without dying. I usually PUG, but might solo more.

All that was the calm side of my brain. The excited bit was just YES-COMPLETIONIST-LETS-DO-ANOTHER-LIFE! So spent some points, created the toon, went to Harbour and the bank, slapped on some ML1 gear. Decided to be rogue splash - which I have done before. Just needs 1AP into Mechanic, pick up my trusted ML1 Great Crossbow of Keen and Bleeding, some bolts, and off we go. Stepped into Haverdasher, only elite - I like to wait to L4 for repear. This will be routine.

Half way down that little bit of curvy corridor, see the scorps starting to rise, first bolt slams home. And then I miss, and miss a lot more. Because of course I don't even have 1AP yet, so I am not proficient. And I am a wis build, without wis to hit or damage yet. And no I haven't picked up any cure pots. Or a hire. And of course, Haverdasher has closed the door, as he warned me he would. I can't even flee. Arggghhh...

Damn it, I am NOT going to die on my first quest.

So, up on the table - FICK IT - they are still eating my feet, and FECK there are a lot of them. Run up and down while thinking. HA - at least if I jump over their heads at the turn in the corridor and up and off the table I can avoid most of the damage (SO useful that I have a feather fall ring ?!?!?). Try jumping on bookcase (isn't that supposed to work?) but can't get there. A bit more running up and down, firing off the odd bolt, all of which miss. HA - swap to Ember Greataxe that I took from Jeeves just to get him to shut up and let me skip Korthos. Swinging badly, but scoring hits! FOCK - they are crunching me up bad now. Spot a big humpy storage heap on the other side of the room, and YES can jump up on to it and HA they can't touch me! Back to GXB - this is going to take an age, but I'll chisel them down. FACK - the aggro draws them around the back of the railings, so no line of fire. No dice. And FECKITY FECK - Blacktail has spawned too.

OK, down to half of my 71 starting HP, but at least a moment to think. (I realise WITH HINDSIGHT, I could have now recalled without being interupted by bites, but hey, I didn't think of that then, and it would have spoiled the tale).

Remember epic PLs! HA - quickly flick through windows, get my fast healing on - come on HPs! Pop on doublestrike too, just in case. And then yes, I'm an Aasimer so can get a lay on hands type thing - GREAT! Just need to find where that bond thing is, so I can toggle it, so I can use the charges. This latter gets more difficult beacuse Blacktail has worked out he (or she?) is taller than the others, and FICKKITTY FICK - can eat me even up here - so back to running around like a maniac. Lay on hands finally activitated, and i am officially NOT DEAD YET....

I've got it now - kite madly, swing madly, jump madly - and ever so, ever so slowly whittling down the scorps while the (oh so slow feeling!) auto self heal keeps me alive, both assimer charges now used up. And then, HA FECKING BEAUTY - Blacktail (who I've not touched) manages to stick themselves in a glitch. Sudden flash of genius - Blacktail may always spawn, but HE IS AN OPTIONAL! Just the little buggers now. Four of them, three of them ... I AM ACTUALLY GOING TO DO THIS ... two, and one and GONE!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful quest end sound!!!!! Door opening sound !!!!! Fabjus day!!!!!

Hightail it up to Haverdasher, very quick chat about things - without mentioning I have left Blacktail very much alive just with his pincer stuck in a crack - and out to glorious, wonderful, life!! You can keep your solo R10s. I AM LEGEND!!!!

Hope you enjoyed the tale.

(I did, by the way, die at L4, overconfident in a Proof of Poison PUG).