How Bad(Good) is Mechanic GreatXbow?

BiggerTrolls

I was looking at Fire over Morgrave items and the rune arm there gives dripping in magma. Seems like a fun, maybe decent, simple source of dripping... Anyone try gxbow lately? Is rate of fire the biggest deal breaker? Harper tree is a cheap AP cost for trance, relatively. The ranged power seems decent with full mechanic, aside from the archers focus stack issue, but that's a reasonable trade for all the sneak dice.
Thanks for the input!

Dattebayo

I played a gxbow pure rogue a few years ago and it was decent, the tree didn't get changed since then but it's still good I think. You get vorpal on 19 and gxbows knockdown with no save on vorpal so you can sometimes trip group of monsters with aoe or imp precision which is nice.
Damage is not bad but when you have on cd the reload ability you fire very slow, and that can get you killed if you can't dodge or put distance quickly. That was the only downside I saw when playing it, the low base attack speed compared to other ranged weapons.

Dattebayo

If you can get some extra attack speed the all you can get, but there's not much since the reload ability is considered an AB you can't pair it with Haste boost. Don't bother with the traps, they are trash even with the upgrades. Get some form of improved deception or use bluff because you will need it to deal damage during the fight with the sneak attacks, you don't get much sneak attack range with the tree sadly so unless you are far away it doesn't count.

Almghandi

was sad after coming back to ddo after a pause... and finding that gxbows were basically better than repeaters......... i remember when artificer first came out

Dattebayo

Idk, repeaters with a decent source of imbues can put out more damage than gxbows. And they feel better.

Stoner81

I was looking at Fire over Morgrave items and the rune arm there gives dripping in magma. Seems like a fun, maybe decent, simple source of dripping... Anyone try gxbow lately? Is rate of fire the biggest deal breaker? Harper tree is a cheap AP cost for trance, relatively. The ranged power seems decent with full mechanic, aside from the archers focus stack issue, but that's a reasonable trade for all the sneak dice.
Thanks for the input!
Mechanics haven't changed much, if at all, since they were popular way back way. It's just that other things came out which were/are better but they are still very solid. I did 3 Rogue lives as a Mechanic and loved them. I did the first 2 levels as Artificer for rune arm use and repeater proficiency and then Rogue the rest of the way to 20. Use repeaters until you get to level 12 Rogue since you can use the T5 abilities which grant a lot of attack speed with repeaters. I used Fatal Flaw around level 14 which is Vorpal and procs a lot (it seemed to do for me anyway) and then switch to Divine Artillery.

Stoner81.