How many training dummies does it take?

Algonem

The guild I belong to has six training dummies set up in our cargo hold. I actually tried to take some out as I found it makes selecting the navigator difficult at times (especially when I'm trying to rush out to join a PUG). However our guild leader got mad about it. I'm told that it is 'very helpful' for players to test out weapon builds on training dummies. Does it really take 6? Is this common? I'm curious to know how many dummies do other guilds put in their holds?

yes. (from limited experience) i understand your question, as i was curious myself for some time, multiple dummies do help.

first, (and i dont think you meant anything by it, but) always check with guild leader before making any changes. respect is always appreciated

second, yeah, is pretty common to one shot most dummies, and have alot of down time. in order to have an accurate "test" you have to attack many times? and if you are testing out multiple set ups, you are talking many more? its also nice to have several set up for ranges, and checking what works, and doesnt work for IPS. its also nice if multiple people want to do test, which, i ran into alot in hardcore.

there is also the cannon, but... even knowing this, i rarely wander up there to test.

maybe a happy medium, and offer to find a better location for the navigator, which i also have a hard time selecting some times.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
You know you don't have to select the navigator, right? The captain on the top deck can send you anywhere the navigator can.

Algonem

You know you don't have to select the navigator, right? The captain on the top deck can send you anywhere the navigator can.
You know the post right before yours pointed out that you could go to the deck where the weapons cannon is located and do your dps testing there, right? You need 6 training dummies so players who don't should be running to the top of the ship? Selfish.

T.O.

You know the post right before yours pointed out that you could go to the deck where the weapons cannon is located and do your dps testing there, right? You need 6 training dummies so players who don't should be running to the top of the ship? Selfish.
I put as many as I feel like. Could be 6 could be 0. I also don't put a navigator in the bottom of my ship.
You should start your own guild.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I have my own guild and I have characters that belong to other guilds. I do what I like in my personal guild, but I don't mess with things in other guilds even if I'm an officer without checking with the guild owner first. Sounds like you need your own guild!

Fluffy624

I'd never thought of several dummies before seeing this thread but my first thought was testing strikethrough or any sort of cleave aoe. Going to have to give this a try on my ship. Thankyou. :)

Algonem

I have my own guild and I have characters that belong to other guilds. I do what I like in my personal guild, but I don't mess with things in other guilds even if I'm an officer without checking with the guild owner first. Sounds like you need your own guild!
You make it sound like my guild is a well oiled machine where everything has a method to the madness. This is simply not the case. The various crafting altars that can be added to the hold come and go as people need them and add them and then they expire. There are crafting amenities on ships. Ours appear on one level while the bank amenity is on another. The amenities that players do use on a ship like the spirit binder are not near the side that you come out if you enter from the top or the hold. Again, wouldn't it make more sense to place these things closer to where people use them?

We have these super guilds where you get a bunch of amenities that last for hours. To suggest that players should drop out of super guilds and have to build up new ones from scratch is ridiculous at best. That's a whole another issue though.

I could count on one hand the number of times I have seen a player using more than one training dummy at a time. They had a two weapon set up and there were no other players standing around waiting for training dummies to open up. From the posts here, it doesn't sound like other guilds have this. I'm going to get some invites to other ships to confirm.

vryxnr

I always have at least 2 training dummies in the cargo hold of my guild (and I am the leader of one of those level 200 guilds with several hundred players in it). As mentioned above, playing with things like strikethrough and cleaves makes more than one useful, as well as for people who can easily one shot them but are trying to build up stacks of something without being hit back.

The most important thing is respect for the Leader's wishes. He cares about the dummies but not the trap makers bench it seems. Now you know. yay!

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
If the guild you are in is that strapped for space and you need to play musical chairs with amenities all the time then that would would be a pretty good reason IMO to jump ship to a guild with a bigger one. Just make sure you are aware of the "house rules" if and when you do.