How to get DDO running on a Mac ? (when will SSG fix this...)

I’ve been running DDO on my 2013 MacBook Pro for many years. You have to install Boot camp assistant on your Mac. This will allow to run 2 operating systems and choose which one you want to boot up. I use a trial version of Windows 10 that can be downloaded for free. It limits what you can do, but I only use it to run DDO and connect to the internet, both work fine.

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
I’ve been running DDO on my 2013 MacBook Pro for many years. You have to install Boot camp assistant on your Mac. This will allow to run 2 operating systems and choose which one you want to boot up. I use a trial version of Windows 10 that can be downloaded for free. It limits what you can do, but I only use it to run DDO and connect to the internet, both work fine.
You know... I never thought about a trial version of Windows. Perhaps I will give that a go.

Thanks!

Ying

5000+ hours played
Do DDO's developers have any idea how much money they're leaving on the table as Mac players direct their game money to third party enablers instead of DDO's developers for content?
About 2.5%. The juice is not worth the squeeze to have dedicated staff to support a platform that has so little market share. The Wine client is likely a low-hanging fruit passion project of one developer.

I used to play on a MacBook Pro when I traveled. When they went to the Wine client years ago, it stopped working for me. I stopped caring about running the game on a Mac then.

nix

Macs are for graphic designers, people who are challenged by more than one mouse button and people who just want to spend a lot of money on computers in general.

And I say this as a native Mac user who finally converted to PC's when Windows 95 came out because I was very tired of playing the same half dozen games over and over again.
I suspect that part of this is also attributable to the price differencial .. maybe the assumption is that if you can afford apple prices then everything else follows. Great hardware until it breaks, just like most hardware.

bofarr

I got DDO working on a 16" M1 Max Macbook Pro with the Game Porting Toolkit. See here: https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/Game_Porting_Toolkit

Basically, install the the Sonoma Operating System (MacOS 14+), install the x86 version of Homebrew, download the Xcode 15 beta 2 command line tools from Apple Developer. Then use Homebrew to compile the Game Porting Toolkit 1.02.

Install Steam.
Run Steam.
Install DDO.
Play DDO or any other game from Steam.

Gaming on a M1 or M2 macs, dudes and dudettes!

Note: to run without the HUD regarding FPS, etc. Run game-porting-toolkit-no-hud instead.

Here is a screenshot. 120fps 120Hz very playable.

yeah, yeah, I have to arrange the buttons, etc. I was not running on my 4K monitor.
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.