Interact-able objects in quests occasionally fail to load

MisterVan

Bug Report Number:
Hey all, this is a bit of a weird one, and I'm looking to get more examples if other people have run into it. Without additional info, this might be very annoying for devs to track down and fix.

Basically, certain interactable assets in quest occasionally just... don't load. They're not there, can't be targeted or interacted with in any way, often preventing completion of a quest.

Here are a couple examples:
bUW5on6.jpg

Best Laid Plans, the grate is completely missing. As you can see, Victor Dabonaire is still walking toward it, so there's no way it's already open. When it's missing, you can't walk past that point, but there's no grate to interact with either. You basically have to recall out and restart the instance. This one seems to happen the most frequently, personally.

Ho7yBma.jpg

Another fun one. One of the puzzle pieces didn't load in The Final Enemy, rendering it uncompletable. Though I'll admit this was pretty funny to walk into.

I didn't get a screencap, but I've also had the secret door behind the fireplace in Castle Ravenloft fail to load as well.

Here's what I've determined so far:
  • Getting the area to load again can often get the missing object to appear. In the examples I listed, in The Final Enemy and Castle Ravenloft, I just had to go back through a door to trigger a load screen then come back and the object wouldn't be missing anymore. Though in Best Laid Plans, there's no way to do that except by restarting the quest, though luckily it is right at the start.
  • Seems to only affect certain interactable objects in certain quests? I've had this same issue happen to the same objects in Best Laid Plans and Castle Ravenloft. In those quests I haven't seen the issue occur with any other interactable items.
  • This issue is intermittent; it doesn't happen every time. It seems to happen most often in Best Laid Plans.
  • I first saw this issue at least 2 months ago, probably a bit further back but don't have screenshot evidence to confirm...
Here's what I'm trying to figure out:
  • Is this issue client side or server side? (I've only ever encountered this while solo, though being able to fix it via triggering a load screen tells me it's probably client side)
  • Are there other quests or objects where this issue has occurred? (Please offer examples if you have them)
  • Is there a pattern to what causes this issue to happen, or is it random?
I've been going through ETRs so I have not been hitting many different quests. So far, all the examples I've found have been fairly minor where it's either the very beginning of a quest or there's some way to workaround the issue. I'm curious if there are examples I haven't found that might block quest completion near the very end with no way to fix it without restarting.

If you've encountered this problem, please share any additional info you think might be useful, thanks!

Zaszgul

I have never seen this, so it may be client-side.

Under Options -> Advanced Graphics, scroll to the bottom and see what Texture Cache Size is set to. Maybe it's too low.

MisterVan

I have never seen this, so it may be client-side.

Under Options -> Advanced Graphics, scroll to the bottom and see what Texture Cache Size is set to. Maybe it's too low.
Good call. It's set to 0.9, which is near maximum. At 32 GB of memory I doubt this is the issue. For what it's worth, I also use the 64 bit client, since this is very likely to be client-size shenanigans.

Valerianus

Former Captain Of The Rotten Shark
it's client side i think, when happened to me, other players could see and interact with the stuff just fine. also happened to me that my main account could not see something but an alt account (same pc, same connection, same everything) could see it.

i've seen it happening with some orb to destroy in one of those fey hunter quest (but it was there, some random aoe spells here and there did the trick), with the ladder that appears when killing the arcane oozes in von2, and in wpm that lock on the ground.

you can fix it by walking away some and going back, or going thru some zoning load screen, sorta forcing the game to reload some stuff.