Lag - yet another sigh of exasperation

mikarddo

Codog's posts inspired hope. The first few days after the patch inspired more than hope, it gave joy. Then the Friday of Infamy hit.

Since then things seem to simply be getting progressively worse. I have, obviously, seen much worse lag in DDO in past, but the current state is worse than it has been in a good long while.

I am hoping to hear from Codog directly again. No offence meant to Cordovan but getting tech news is just so much more informative when it comes from the technical savvy person directly. Most of all I am hoping against all hope that they somehow inadvertently turned the major fix off on the Friday that reignited lag.

Right now I would not recommend DDO to anyone, sadly. The first few days post patch I would have recommended DDO with a big smile.

eshadowbringer

Codog's posts inspired hope. The first few days after the patch inspired more than hope, it gave joy. Then the Friday of Infamy hit.

Since then things seem to simply be getting progressively worse. I have, obviously, seen much worse lag in DDO in past, but the current state is worse than it has been in a good long while.

I am hoping to hear from Codog directly again. No offence meant to Cordovan but getting tech news is just so much more informative when it comes from the technical savvy person directly. Most of all I am hoping against all hope that they somehow inadvertently turned the major fix off on the Friday that reignited lag.

Right now I would not recommend DDO to anyone, sadly. The first few days post patch I would have recommended DDO with a big smile.
I agree with you! Ugh, the letdown was horrible! I was angry for letting myself believe!

The Narc

Maybe the solution is to make all AOE effects single target especially the ones with multiple effects/saves. This would inpact my gameplay but i would make the sacrifice for less lag. Ie. anything prismatic and effects multiple targets, i cant even imagine the amount of calculations blinded mobs must have to make to have them move around blindlike?!?

eshadowbringer

Maybe the solution is to make all AOE effects single target especially the ones with multiple effects/saves. This would inpact my gameplay but i would make the sacrifice for less lag. Ie. anything prismatic and effects multiple targets, i cant even imagine the amount of calculations blinded mobs must have to make to have them move around blindlike?!
That would break immersion so badly it would likely kill the game!

Imagine a D&D where fire ball hit a single mob in pack of 10. Or a "Chain" lightning that didn't do the chain part. How about an earthquake that made that one guy fall over!

Bjond

Imagine a D&D where fire ball hit a single mob in pack of 10

In real D&D, Area-Effects include friendly fire. A sorcerer that dropped a fireball on the party would get lynched.

AFAIK, the only class that could use their AE right on top of the party was Warlock, since all their AE was written as "X targets as designated by the Warlock" rather than as everything within so-many-hexes. I do seem to recall a very high-level (epic?) feat that permitted AE to ignore friendlies, but can't recall details. Perhaps someone with more PnP experience could comment.

BTW, I'm not certain that our lag problems are entirely due to server code latency. I suspect some are client issues that are circumstantially synchronized by the server; ie. server says "client, display vfx #20 to people in zone" and client cries "yikes! that will take 20s, but OK" .. and we all sorta hang out while our clients collectively "lag".

If this is part of what's happening a feature to remove all vfx from other players might help. A lot of games do this for that reason and also because it can become impossible to see UI hints with all the gaudy flash from 12 skills going off at once.

LunaCee

AFAIK, the only class that could use their AE right on top of the party was Warlock, since all their AE was written as "X targets as designated by the Warlock" rather than as everything within so-many-hexes. I do seem to recall a very high-level (epic?) feat that permitted AE to ignore friendlies, but can't recall details. Perhaps someone with more PnP experience could comment.

Well back in 3.5 you could get the ability to shape a spell as part of the Archmage prestige class via a High Arcana pick and losing a 6th level spell slot as part of the additional costs to be able to apply it to all spells at will. Pathfinder had it simply available as a metamagic with a 10 spellcraft requirement under the name of Selective Spell, +1 to spell slot level required when applied.

Definitely not an epic level pickup, but usually not something you'd see in somebody's toolkit before 12th level usually.