non-shaddar kai assassin

Cowsn

Am I missing too much for making a halfling rogue instead of a shaddar kai? I'm saving ddo points so I cant get isle of dread, and maybe after that I'll get the shaddar kai.
So, is shaddar kai worth it? can I reborn from halfling to shaddar kai?
I'm a newbie at rogues so I have too many questions :D

Lazuli

Shadar-kai is very good as an assassin, but not so good as a mechanic or acrobat. But even if you become an assassin, that doesn't mean the halfling is bad. halflings are great for assassins too. You lose the chain, which is awesome, but not a bad race for an assassin.

Yes, you can TR in shadar-kai in the future, so take the opportunity now to play three racial lives as a halfling assassin, and you will be reincarnated in shadar-kai to try it when you buy it.

I would also prioritize xpack over an iconic one, I think you are doing it right.

Zavina

Ms Stabby Stabby
Just remember content access when you are using an iconic. An iconic character MUST go to 30 before TRing.

saekee

long live ROGUE
Yes you can! You get a higher assassinate DC and enjiy some minor buffs to sneaking. People with a lot of racial AP can tap some nice synergies with assassin via guile etc.

SDK has been great due to chain, especially if SWF to whack a bunch of mobs around you while even remaining stealthed. Throw in the goldcursed dagger and it is very good. But for single target takedown, raw TWF assassin is great.

Before Vistani, we assassins went to Improved defensive roll in TA and grabbed no mercy there too (there was a destiny ability in primal avatar that let you knock stuff flat while TWF, rendering them helpless—‘balanced attacks’—ahh it was great). There was even some points left over for racials, so halfling stood out as the better racial option.

Cowsn

Thanks! I will level my halfling then :)
Btw, are the rogue builds in the forum outdated? I've read some posts saying so, and it doesn't seem too complicated to build a rogue but I have some questions about feats.
(not in order)
Two weapon fighting feats are a must I guess.
Also precision?
Then improved critical and overwhelming critical.
Improved sneak attack etc.
But I'm missing some feats in the 1-20 leveling.

Tronko's guide https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/reaper-endgame-centered-assassin.416/ seems to use more feats than you can allocate via leveling, thus rendering spring attack unable to get.
Am I missing something?

saekee

long live ROGUE
Thanks! I will level my halfling then :)
Btw, are the rogue builds in the forum outdated? I've read some posts saying so, and it doesn't seem too complicated to build a rogue but I have some questions about feats.
(not in order)
Two weapon fighting feats are a must I guess.
Also precision?
Then improved critical and overwhelming critical.
Improved sneak attack etc.
But I'm missing some feats in the 1-20 leveling.

Tronko's guide https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/reaper-endgame-centered-assassin.416/ seems to use more feats than you can allocate via leveling, thus rendering spring attack unable to get.
Am I missing something?
he takes Spring attack later in epics

Yes, it depends what you are doing later with the build. Early, when you would take precision (say, level 3 with BaB), take Improved Feint instead. It is very good in heroics, not so good in Epics. So set things up by being able to swap it out with precision in late heroics.

Always consider AP expenditures, destinies etc when considering feats. Tronko takes Nimble Fingers so he can get 1d6 more sneak damage out of the Shadowdancer tree. It is otherwise a junk feat. You may not have the destiny points to take nimble fingers as there are a lot of goods in that tree and others.

weapon focus feats give a little bit of melee power too. The dodge-mobility-spring attack line lets you get better attack bonuses when moving around and meleeing, while also increasing your max dodge/dex bonus of armor. If you are just going to 20 and reincarnating, then they are not so good.

Cowsn

oh I see, thanks a lot.
Is it costly or hard to swap out feats? Iirc it's made talking to Fred the mindflayer right? I need to check it out again but I think I may have the reagents needed to swap out a low level feat

saekee

long live ROGUE
oh I see, thanks a lot.
Is it costly or hard to swap out feats? Iirc it's made talking to Fred the mindflayer right? I need to check it out again but I think I may have the reagents needed to swap out a low level feat
it is easy to swap out low-level feats. You can get a free feat respec through the quest in the marketplace, but don't waste in the early levels. https://ddowiki.com/page/Fred

Marshal_Lannes

For leveling, chains Shadar Kai is going to be a lot easier. I'd suggest doing your halfling build and then running a chains build. You're going to see a huge difference. The primary reason is a chain SK has two AOE attacks, the chain and rapid slash from Vistani. In combination, these are going to obliterate most groups of mobs you'll run into while leveling. Especially when you're stacking sneak attacks and imbue damage on top of everything.

Keep in mind two things if using Tronko's assassin build as a baseline. They have full racial APs unlocked so are are using a bunch of extra APs you won't have. And this quote is key Regarding the build, perfection doesn't exist, and choices need to be made.

The biggest choices are DEX vs INT, SWF vs TWF based, and whether or not you ultimately even want to assassinate. I know, playing an assassin to assassinate is the whole idea, but the Vistani tree is outrageously good and synergizes so well with Chains that the power becomes addictive! Some great stuff to discover, have fun!