Ranged all xbow builds post Update 66

RTN

I've run ranged DPS in high reaper. It isn't top tier DPS, but there's still a lot of value if well geared and well played. It is possible some pug groups might decline ranged DPS, but I haven't run into them.

droid327

You mention Death Aura, so does that mean you favour a Wizard Inquis build? Also, do you think more imbue dice or more SA dice should be prioritised?

It was one example, but yes 18 Wiz/2 Arti is my favorite Inqui split. Lots of synergy with Imbue dice from EK and Inqui, everything INT based with Harper (including SD Evasion + Ins Reflex), really good self-sustain, utility, and CC.

I dont know if its really a question of "prioritized" since you will rarely be choosing between the two. Get as much of both as you can.

I'd say Imbue Dice since they scale better with Ranged Power and the damage is always there from it without having to meet Sneak Attack criteria.

Stoner81.

SA isnt hard to meet in Epics, at least, because Stay Good will auto-blind everything in like 2 hits, and that enables Sneak (plus its an awesome Reaper-proof 50% Concealment debuff)

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
On later ranged builds when you're working with sentient items is there any advice on what to shoot for (pun intended)? I would assume stack ranged power filigree (which is my plan)? I was thinking 2 items from Wild Hunter, Deadly Rain, and/or The Long Shadow.

What about filigree for artifacts? Should they be bumped with more ranged power or maybe something else?

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Ranged DPS is a waste of spot in end-game and would get automatically declined for high reaper quests or raids. For levelling, there is Ottos box.
What?!!?😲

Nonsense! 😂

This is terrible advice to give someone looking for build advice.

I've run tons of R10 PUGs and low R Raids over the years with all sorts of folks, of all sorts of abilities, and I've never seen anyone declined for any reason other than the group was full. If any leader did decline someone for such snooty reasons, I and others I run regularly with would drop and shun their future LFMs.

I'd venture you're more likely to be declined for being an arse than any build choice you make.

The days of "show me your Harry beater" are, thankfully, dead and buried. One positive dividend of the low game population. Leaders simply can't afford to be snooty to folks any more or they'll end up soloing.

OP, please ignore such garbage. Play your own game and learn as you go. Folks will generally be positive, understanding and helpful. We've all been there too. Those few who don't will quickly be found out and avoided. There aren't many of them left - and that tells it's own story. 🙂👍

droid327

On later ranged builds when you're working with sentient items is there any advice on what to shoot for (pun intended)? I would assume stack ranged power filigree (which is my plan)? I was thinking 2 items from Wild Hunter, Deadly Rain, and/or The Long Shadow.

What about filigree for artifacts? Should they be bumped with more ranged power or maybe something else?

Crackshot 4pc is pretty much always good for Ranged, 4pc Shattered Device is also good for the debuff (especially if you're an Imbue-heavy build since it debuffs MRR too), then just fill it out with 2pc Ranged Power sets (Dreadbringer works too) and 3 pc Long Shadow for the Imbue

Kimbere

Ranged DPS is a waste of spot in end-game and would get automatically declined for high reaper quests or raids. For levelling, there is Ottos box.
@DDO Noob I’d ignore the quoted advice if I were you.

Ranged DPS is just fine in end-game and high reaper. Assuming the build and gear aren’t complete garbage, the player behind the keyboard is far more important than the build.

Based on Tavern Brawler’s recent posts full of bad ideas, I’m guessing that if they’ve been auto-declined for endgame and high skill stuff, it’s due to the player, not their build.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Thanks for the info droid327. I like the idea of using Shattered Device for debuffs. In my searches, I stumbled on a post in Reddit from you 4 years ago that was pretty much the same thing. 😁

JustHavingFunBro

Make sure you shoot the mob first so you aggro everything and force everyone else to chase after you, or like me just sit there and let you face the consequences of not knowing how to play MMOs that have been around over 24 years.

DDO Noob

Well I guess they havent really added much to change the filigree meta since then lol
What about 3 pieces from the Electrocution filigree set if your build is mainly Arti? +50 electric spell power and +2 imbue dice seems strong to me. Or is every little incremental gain in range power from filigrees more valuable?

droid327

What about 3 pieces from the Electrocution filigree set if your build is mainly Arti? +50 electric spell power and +2 imbue dice seems strong to me. Or is every little incremental gain in range power from filigrees more valuable?
If your build isn't purely ranged then you have different priorities, yes...but point for point RP is usually hard to beat. Depends if you have a RP or a SP imbue too.

At 300 RP and 21 imbue dice scaling 200%RP, 5 RP is worth about 3.1% to both your base and imbue damage, while 1 imbue die is worth 4.7% to just your imbue damage

DDO Noob

If your build isn't purely ranged then you have different priorities, yes...but point for point RP is usually hard to beat. Depends if you have a RP or a SP imbue too.

At 300 RP and 21 imbue dice scaling 200%RP, 5 RP is worth about 3.1% to both your base and imbue damage, while 1 imbue die is worth 4.7% to just your imbue damage
Thanks for the explanation regarding RP and SP imbue. Do you know the mathematical formula for calculating the average damage your build and weapon would do taking into account all the variables such as (W) of weapon, ranged power, imbue dice, spell power etc? That would help immensely in getting my head around different types of weapons and builds for crossbows calculating their damage roughly and comparing them.

droid327

Thanks for the explanation regarding RP and SP imbue. Do you know the mathematical formula for calculating the average damage your build and weapon would do taking into account all the variables such as (W) of weapon, ranged power, imbue dice, spell power etc? That would help immensely in getting my head around different types of weapons and builds for crossbows calculating their damage roughly and comparing them.

base damage * doublestrike/shot * RP/MP multiplier * crit mulitiplier + imbue*dstrike*RP/MP/SP (+ sneak*dstrike*[MP/RP@1.5])

My favorite ranged build recently has been Alchemist 15 / Ranger 3 / Rogue 2. You get Goldskin and Heal from Alch 15, a lot of extra imbue from Ranger and Rogue splashes (as well as free evasion and Rapid Shot). Alchemist has a lot of self-buff and survivability, and good DPS in the Vile Chemist tree. I am at 29 imbue dice, 33 dodge in light armor, 97% double-shot and 260 RP at cap, have infinite haste boost and sprint boost. It's not top tier in any manner, but I can easily solo R3, and survive and contribute around R6-R8, and it's fun.

I have also run Alch 16 / Rog 2 / Art 2 for runearm, or Alch 18 / Art 2 for a heavier VC investment.

DDO Noob

My favorite ranged build recently has been Alchemist 15 / Ranger 3 / Rogue 2. You get Goldskin and Heal from Alch 15, a lot of extra imbue from Ranger and Rogue splashes (as well as free evasion and Rapid Shot). Alchemist has a lot of self-buff and survivability, and good DPS in the Vile Chemist tree. I am at 29 imbue dice, 33 dodge in light armor, 97% double-shot and 260 RP at cap, have infinite haste boost and sprint boost. It's not top tier in any manner, but I can easily solo R3, and survive and contribute around R6-R8, and it's fun.

I have also run Alch 16 / Rog 2 / Art 2 for runearm, or Alch 18 / Art 2 for a heavier VC investment.
I played an Alch / Rog Inquis some time ago and the Alchemist has a lot of utility and is quite versatile. However, the one issue I had with this build was that I found it awkward and clunky trying to aim the short ranged cone for the Vile Chemist's Wave of Poison ability to strip poison immunity. There are quite a few mobs that are poison immune. Apart from this it was an excellent build. Do you struggle with stripping poison immunity or do you just switch to another imbue that does less damage?

Hakoist

I am not sure on the idea of using two xbow.
You lose the T5 BE 0.5W and deadly when changing weapon.
Or you didn’t take that enhancement maybe

I played an Alch / Rog Inquis some time ago and the Alchemist has a lot of utility and is quite versatile. However, the one issue I had with this build was that I found it awkward and clunky trying to aim the short ranged cone for the Vile Chemist's Wave of Poison ability to strip poison immunity. There are quite a few mobs that are poison immune. Apart from this it was an excellent build. Do you struggle with stripping poison immunity or do you just switch to another imbue that does less damage?
I use the Law imbue from the Inquisitive tree and just use Vile Chemist to get a lot of extra dice. 1d10 scaling at 200% Ranged Power is a little weaker at the early levels when spell power is easier to get than ranged power, but at cap, with 250+ RP, I would have to get to 700 poison SP just to be equal, and the Law damage is not subject to resistance/immunity. I still take Poisoned Shot for the 30% extra damage and limited cases where stripping immunity is nice, e.g. VoN pillars and getting benefits from Nightshade Shooter on poison-immune mobs.