Ranged Sneak Attack Question

Hi - Ranged Sneak attack for a Ranger (non-rogue) character confuses me a little. Is there any benefit to a Ranger/Shiradi to increase sneak attack dies (ranged build)? If the sneak attack dies apply to ranged attacks can you help me understand the calculation? Thanks in advance.

ACJ97F

Rogues, or anyone with SA dice, has them kick in several ways. A common one being any Deception item, but here's the basic notes.
Yes, they trigger at Ranged (to a set distance), and there's skills to extend the range even more.

Think of it like this, if you play PnP, getting SA dice is like dipping rogue. Regardless of class, it triggers if you meet the requirements.
I have had VoL healers with SA, and trigger it as I'm stabbing someone, so basically anyone can.

Rogues, or anyone with SA dice, has them kick in several ways. A common one being any Deception item, but here's the basic notes.
Yes, they trigger at Ranged (to a set distance), and there's skills to extend the range even more.

Think of it like this, if you play PnP, getting SA dice is like dipping rogue. Regardless of class, it triggers if you meet the requirements.
I have had VoL healers with SA, and trigger it as I'm stabbing someone, so basically anyone can.
Thanks ACJ97F. Is it safe to say that the inability to crit when sneak attacking doesn't apply to ranged attacks (only applies to the Rogue Sneak Attack attack)?

ACJ97F

Targets immune to Crit are typically immune to Sneak Attack damage, the class doesn't matter, SA is the same regardless.
You can, however, overcome Fortification-based SA immunity with enough Armor-Piercing (various gear) and Fort Bypass.

Last edited:

unbongwah

Is there any benefit to a Ranger/Shiradi to increase sneak attack dies (ranged build)?
Using Sniper Shot from the Deepwood Stalker tree is a common way of proccing ranged sneak-attack vulnerability, with the added benefit of comboing well with Shiradi's Hunt's End + Fey Force.
  • Sniper Shot: Ranged Attack: Deals +20% Damage. Performs a ranged attack with a +4 bonus to-hit, +2 to critical threat range, and +2 to Critical Damage Multiplier. On Damage: The target will become momentarily confused and rendered vulnerable to sneak attacks for four seconds as if affected by the bluff skill. (Cooldown 6 seconds)
  • Hunt's End: Epic Strike: Your next shot with a Ranged or Thrown weapon has +75% damage, and increases your Critical Threat Range by 16. (Cooldown: 8 seconds.)
  • Fey Force: Increases Hunt's End damage bonus by 75%.