Spent a lot of time customizing your screen layout? Save it!

Visik

I run into veterans occasionally who still don't know this one: You can save a huge fraction of the elements of your screen layout and then restore it at will after either accidentally dragging something or after Reincarnations that scramble it. It will also allow you to 'copy' and 'paste' a layout from one character to another, even on different accounts. And the file can even be copied to another computer, if desired.

The commands are:
ui layout save [layoutname]
ui layout load [layoutname]
where [layoutname] is whatever you want to call it: Fred, FHD, 4K.. whatever.

It will remember and replace a huge fraction of the screen elements, even including the locations and sizes of bank windows (They don't need to be on-screen at the time you issue the save command). Frankly, I'm not even sure I've plumbed all the elements it stores and restores. It has a few limitations, last time I tested: It won't change the focus orb type (and won't move it if it's the wrong one), it won't dock or undock chat windows, and it won't rotate shortcut bars. These aren't critical in the situations mentioned (accidental rearrangement and/or reincarnation), but they come up if you load the layout on a new character. Issue the load command once, then make whatever chat window changes are necessary (name and docking status), rotate all the shortcut bars that aren't in the right places, and change the focus orb type, if required, then issue the load command again and all will be as you arranged.

The save file is located in Documents\Dungeons and Dragons Online\ui\layouts and will be called [layoutname].layout

Note that the parent folder Documents\Dungeons and Dragons Online will also contain your keymap save (ddo.keymap), preferences from Options (UserPreferences.ini) and any screenshots you take in-game using <ctrl>P

Note 2: If you launch from Steam, it's always possible these could be stored in a Steam-specific folder.

While this may seem like an advanced skill/topic, it will save you a LOT of headache down the line if you use it.

And these days, with Hardcore happening from time to time, even a lot of long-term players make new characters pretty regularly.

Last edited: