Suggestion: Raising Hirelings from the dead safely

TavernTails

Tuesday Trivia Host on DDOstream
I think calling hirelings AI is an insult to AI in general.

Insult? ;)
/Microsoft_Tay has entered the chat

_88928475_88928474.jpg.webp

Enoach

I think a good solution to all this is to simply have Hirelings refuse to walk into lava, lightning water, through a trap or anything that would cause them to take damage as it comes to the environment. They already have the feature if they are too far from the one that hired them that they port.

It solves the need to raise from dangerous places through reducing the hire being in those dangerous places.

Bjond

have Hirelings refuse to walk into lava
Pathing is HARD. Any "fix" involving any change or improvement whatsoever to pathing will never happen. What they could do easily is make them able to live through bad pathing. They could also fix the coding on follow distance and actions.

What some other MMOs do to "solve" this issue of avoiding AE/etc is simply to make hires utterly immune to any damage that isn't directly targeted at them. SWTOR does this AND the hires actually try to do their roles; heal mode will only heal, dps does just that, tank mode and they'll try to agro everything. It's not this ridiculous DDO coding where a hire has to cast nimbus of light before every heal.

In SWTOR, for example, a fully improved hire is better than about 2/3 of the player-base; they're really strong. The fear of "omg, if we make hires too good people will never group" never happened. People still punt hires to add a player that is half as good. The player has to be near troll-level bad to earn a punt and replace with a hire.

Col Kurtz

can't they fix the manual AI clickies on the hires dropdown menu?

The settings we UN-Click reset to default... at some point; I'm guessing when they teleport on a map or we call them manually to us?

We don't want healers to charge into melee/ at this point they are all Leroys