WF DL Pure - Possible Builds?

Rairyuken

Continuing this from the main Fighter forum thread.

I like the way WF DL is playing out so far, but I was curious on builds. I'm currently running one on Orien and looking at what I can do as much as possible.

So here's some ideas beyond the standard THF DL that seems to be the popular that I'm curious on and may take some levels to get going: I would love to turn these into some sort of DPS Tanky type which seems very, very doable with the trees.

TWF DL - Possible or not? I'm thinking Dwarven War Axe or Bastard Swords if so. More strike through, more hitting hard. The war axe is due to a certain 80's robot that dual wielded them sometimes or just flat out threw them. Big, red, and such.
SWF DL - Again, war axe and bastard sword. But I am unsure if the speed would be worth it as well as the loss to AC from the looks. Unsure on the loss to AC or if there is something with that tree to compensate it.

I am also liking that from the looks all three trees have bonuses you can take to Intimidate and Haggle.

Aggy

Continuing this from the main Fighter forum thread.

I like the way WF DL is playing out so far, but I was curious on builds. I'm currently running one on Orien and looking at what I can do as much as possible.

So here's some ideas beyond the standard THF DL that seems to be the popular that I'm curious on and may take some levels to get going: I would love to turn these into some sort of DPS Tanky type which seems very, very doable with the trees.

TWF DL - Possible or not? I'm thinking Dwarven War Axe or Bastard Swords if so. More strike through, more hitting hard. The war axe is due to a certain 80's robot that dual wielded them sometimes or just flat out threw them. Big, red, and such.
SWF DL - Again, war axe and bastard sword. But I am unsure if the speed would be worth it as well as the loss to AC from the looks. Unsure on the loss to AC or if there is something with that tree to compensate it.

I am also liking that from the looks all three trees have bonuses you can take to Intimidate and Haggle.

Re TWF and Bastard Swords/ DAxe, you don't get strike through while TWFing. Strike through only applies to them in SWF mode.
In my opinion SWF is the best balance between single target dps and aoe. Hate running quests without having decent aoe. I think Bastard Sword is the better option between the two.

Not sure why you would lose AC ?

Archaic

The reason why they made Dragon Lord not proficient with shields is because it is probably a good tank...

Fleming

You won't get strike through with TWF (unless you also go T5 in Ranger - Dance of Death).

Rairyuken

Re TWF and Bastard Swords/ DAxe, you don't get strike through while TWFing. Strike through only applies to them in SWF mode.
In my opinion SWF is the best balance between single target dps and aoe. Hate running quests without having decent aoe. I think Bastard Sword is the better option between the two.

Not sure why you would lose AC ?
Cool. Didn't know this. And I'm honestly more interested in just running Dwarven War Axe in SWF mode, really. Not sure if I can use enhancements and the like to make it work for strikethrough and AoEing, but if a Bastard Sword can, I have little doubt the DWA can as well.

Owlbear

You can go for Whirlwind Attack if you need more AoE. Fighters get so many Feats it's pretty easy to do. Or go for Cleaves if you're STR.
Personally I like the TWF because you use Imbue Die on your weapons and the rule of cool!

Last edited:

Aggy

Cool. Didn't know this. And I'm honestly more interested in just running Dwarven War Axe in SWF mode, really. Not sure if I can use enhancements and the like to make it work for strikethrough and AoEing, but if a Bastard Sword can, I have little doubt the DWA can as well.
SWF Dwarven Axe works really nicely. You can actually use the enhancements to increase strikethrough. Some enhancements are gated behind the actual THF feats, but not the ones in the dwarven racial trees. When I did my Dwarven Paladins with SWF DAxe I leveled with SWF feats and took Twohanded mastery at 31. Liked it a lot.

glass_jaws

If you do dual wield look at a knight's training based weapon. I'm running dual war hammers on mine and loving it. :)

axel15810

I'm playing a TWF WF Dragon Lord. WF is always a solid choice for any melee because of the melee power, not to mention other melee stuff in the racial tree. It works great. I'm doing Knight's training with longswords. Using 2 oathblades to level in epics, I'll probably use 2 attuned dino bone longswords at cap.

The no strikethrough means you can't strikethrough procs of the sunder/capstone instakill which seems to be the main downside of TWF. But the instakill isn't all that practical anyway in the majority of situations, especially when dragon roar is so good and cowers everything anyway for massive extra helplessness damage, so meh.