Why no XP scaling based on DA duration? Bonuses for no or low DAs? More XP? Relaxed over level?

Oliphant

Bloodthirsting the players to kill mobs is not fully productive for reducing pathing due to incentive to bother side mobs in the first place, plus its cringe.

Would prefer something like this:
  • "No DA" bonus, "Only-1 DA" bonus, "Only-2 DA" bonus
  • "X Seconds of DA" penalty.
    • For example, PRR formula with one second of DA being like 10 PRR to the final xp value, 100 over 100 + 10t in seconds.
      • This would mean 1/2 xp after 10 seconds, 1/3 xp after 20s of DA, etc. - maybe too much!
      • 60 over 60 + t in seconds would mean 1/2 xp at minute-1, 1/3 xp at minute-2, etc.
    • This could be a continuous function applied at the end of the quest based on tally of DAs and DA durations.
      • Continuous seems less gameable, people can get good at beating milestones.
      • Continuous function means every second counts, a smooth and steady incentive to end the DA.
    • If gathering mobs reduces the pathing it would be nice if gathering was sufficient to end a DA.
      • Ideally, if the pathing can be measured, it would be nice if DA was mostly just triggering off of the measured pathing actually.
      • Its not easy for a weak party to kill huge gatherings of mobs quickly and DA penalties are counterproductive to killing off the mobs.
      • I get the idea of exacting a punishment, trying to kill players for being "bad", but consider the downsides.
  • Faster XP would only help the game, keep that in mind too.
    • Give folks an extra level of leeway doing quests over level.
      • More over level would be fun, would let people push skulls more.
        • More XP is good remember? This also applies to RXP!
      • Why? This will fix potential side effect related to XP versus Favor balance for HC season objectives.
        • In DnD it's ok to be a hero, DO IT!

seph1roth5

A few people have suggested this or something similar, I added it to my big list O compiled suggestions. I think keeping track of DA durations might be a stretch coding-wise. But I think just counting how high up you go, if at all, SHOULD be something easily done. If they can't do that, then how are they getting all this data saying players are causing all these problems to begin with.

Oliphant

Seems like if they can trigger a DA to start they can record a start time and similarly for DA end times.

Dragnilar

Dragonborn of Bahamut
I would like this idea more if they could fix DA so it doesn't go off "by accident". Otherwise I think it would just make more people upset.

I suspect that fixing the accidental DAs itself is a lot of work since DA seems to use a blanket/global filter and it isn't programmed with it's own thresholds per dungeon instance.

Maybe I am wrong.

However it seems to be the case in dungeons that have large sudden monster arrivals... And it gets confounded by reapers popping in with their vaccume cleaner / airplane noises.

Oliphant

Would be nice if they just did nothing with xp right now but I think the change to DA where mobs stop chasing might be the concern in the status quo xp system.

Krell

In reality I don’t care what they do with dungeon xp as long as my past life or reaper point farming doesn’t take longer. The grind is real and I’d like to have some finished alts this decade. If HC is a concern because the carrot is one time rewards, change the system there only. If anything the goal should be to make the grind easier on non-HC.

Oliphant

Agree, if anything the grind should be easier. And if you think it should be easier on HC, that only gets multiplied on live servers with the PL grind.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Why no XP scaling based on DA duration?
For the same reason SSG got rid of 10% XP penalty when a member of your party dies. That was a decade ago. The community doesn't respond well when things outside their control penalizes them.

Krell

For the same reason SSG got rid of 10% XP penalty when a member of your party dies. That was a decade ago. The community doesn't respond well when things outside their control penalizes them.
I agree the ability for one player to substantially impact the party reward is a concern. The reality is the proposed system has the same problem. Say the party is working on conquest and someone finishes the quest early. It’s going to cost the party a lot more than the death penalty. Same problem with the DA penalty ideas. Someone runs up an alert and everyone is penalized. In either scenario it’s going to happen. It could be because a player is impatient, ignorant, intentionally griefing, it doesn’t matter why. If players can do it, some will. Unlike the current system where a player can’t easily affect the parties xp reward.

Oliphant

The "No DA", "1-DA", etc. idea seems problematic for this reason but the duration idea puts the whole team in a situation where everyone can potentially help clear a DA and the penalty could be ticking with small increments. Maybe scrap the "No DA" family of bonuses idea and add a 10 second grace period so when folks see a DA they have a little grace period to get it together and focus on what is needed to clear the DA, and when they fail to immediately clear a DA its not a huge penalty each second. I don't really want them messing with our playstyles but not sure they will just let xp status quo go while at the same time changing monster pathing so they stop chasing.