Year of the Dragon NPC Temporarily Disabled

Dementedleo1974

My sub is up in a few days, I really do love this game and all, but since I first started playing I believe in Dec 2023 or so I have seen more downtime then all my other games I play regularly. Just since Year of the Dragon so far we have had massive issues, either able to log in and get FPS issues, massive lag spikes or just not being able to play at all due to data center issues. I owned 4 restaurants about 20 years ago, if at anytime I wasn't on my A game I had no business. I hope things work out and you all at SSG can fix or redesign some of the core issues we have been having. Either that or you will continue to slowly lose your customer base and will have to give up on one of the best games I have played. yes it has faults and to many systems, but it's very interactive and the stories are fun to go through. Please as a fan and customer implement a better system to test and finalize your processes. Heck if you asked half the player base they would probably volunteer to do the testing so we don't have these issues. Don't serve a bad product to your peeps if you can have a full most likely free testing crew from your loyal peeps.

DDO Gaming

ying you've tested stuff on lammania so...why is it so restricted? I'd be surprised if most gamers here had a clue it even exists and the time window for testing is almost non-existent

Dementedleo1974

I'm talking about them asking the community to help test the DEV build before they release it. They would have maybe a dozen or 2 from the crowd and give them access , even if you need to probably sign NDA, but you would have a full team of people that would be able to fully test anything that comes through the pipeline before it hits live service.

Ahpuch

Recommendations on how to better use Lammannia to help the release process have been made in the past. SSG is not interested. I assume they like the chaos.

Dementedleo1974

The test server is just that a test, but think of it as maybe 3 or 4 months behind what the actual dev build is. The Dev build probably has few months of new Xpac running just doing additions and tweaks, but no full on QA due to resources etc. Not really sure but thats just my train of thought. I have been through a few to many testing phases through the years. From pre alpha- to live service as QA/QC.

DDO Gaming

The test server is just that a test, but think of it as maybe 3 or 4 months behind what the actual dev build is.
So its not a test server, its a "this is a look and feel of the direction we're taking DDO" server. a test server has the most uptodate release build so it can be fully tested before being transferred to the deplyment server.

SSG will claim that this gives gamers free access to new content however that can be lockedout so only the f2p content is available. This ensures no new bugs etc have been introduced in the main gaming system prior to release

DDO Gaming

furthermore SSG can create prebuilt characters for lammania with zero transfer capability so gamers know they can only use the prebuilds to test the pre-release build.

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
It took 99 points from me for Ravenloft back when they was on sale for the 99 points in spite of me owning the ultimate fan bundle of it from the market place.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
So its not a test server, its a "this is a look and feel of the direction we're taking DDO" server. a test server has the most uptodate release build so it can be fully tested before being transferred to the deplyment server.

SSG will claim that this gives gamers free access to new content however that can be lockedout so only the f2p content is available. This ensures no new bugs etc have been introduced in the main gaming system prior to release
you gotta talk to the guy in the dojo to get a ton store points and can buy all expansions on lamania or you speak to the npc to gain access to new expansions content unlock if not something in store just like can get max xp and named loot there too. Only on Lamania doesn't unlock on live FYI.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Just my $.02 but Lamannia, is an opportunity to get feedback from players on imminent releases (and to squash typo's and bugs). Mostly I get the impression that it really is about player feedback on whats good, bad, and ugly with some things being altered based on feedback (U61 as an example had four previews before release).

seph1roth5

Most of the time they add a bunch of changes in between the final lam and the release anyway. Stuff that if they had included it IN lam, would've been caught.

KatzyBaby

So, for those of you who are complaining about repeated failures, to the point of even tracking how many there have been, why don't you plan for failure (or 'escapes' as the ex-CEO of Boeing called them). That way, if anything succeeds you will be pleasantly surprised. It would save you time in tracking failure points, typing comments on the forums and raising your blood pressure. The bottom line is that if SSG says they are going to give you something, over time they actually do give you something, especially free things. The world, or at least the US, follows a different perspective on QA and customer service. The customer is not always right, if some customers leave there are more coming in the door. It is often a risk/benefit ratio or cost of failure vs. cost of success. If you plan for failure any success is a win (other than for Boeing). >^*^<

Discount Gandalf

Are you really suggesting people should not only expect SSG to fail but should also be ok with it? Boeing is a pretty bad example to even mention considering their "escapes" probably involve mass death due to aircraft failure. Good luck on that new customer thing too. We can see how well that has been going for SSG thus far.

KatzyBaby

Not necessarily expect failures, but plan for the possibility of failure wherein they would accept that failures occur, but get resolved. It's a matter of accepting that success may be delayed, but never denied.

Sweyn

Not necessarily expect failures, but plan for the possibility of failure wherein they would accept that failures occur, but get resolved. It's a matter of accepting that success may be delayed, but never denied.
“When you tolerate mediocrity, you get more of it.”
― Frank Sonnenberg
“It doesn’t cost more to strive for excellence, but if you settle for mediocrity, it’ll cost you dearly.”
― Frank Sonnenberg
“No one gets ahead by striving for mediocrity.”
― Glenn C. Stewart