Chest ransack causing heartburn in hardcore

Bossman

I've been stuck on level 5 for a week unable to advance while I wait for chest ransack timer to expire. Trying to get (need to get!) bottle of smoke from home of memory. I ransacked the chest to the point where it is empty and gives no items but bottle of smoke has not yet dropped. I have two banked levels and completed all quests at level 3. There is nothing to be gained from running any quest (why risk it?) so just waiting for timer to run out.

All this is to say: can we just turn-off chest ransack in hardcore server for next time?

Also, what about a /chestransack command that displays timers for chests. It will not matter if the chest identifier is a meaningless text string. If you have ransacked a chest, you will very likely know exactly which it is and don't need the descriptor name to be specific. We just need to know when the thing started so that we can plan accordingly. This is especially frustrating when trying to sprint along in a short two-month season

Sarandra

You can also put an LFM up asking to farm for it. I've done that for certain quests and found quite a few willing folks to join. Of course, I do help them with farming for stuff in return. Might save you some time in either case.

PaleFox

Am constantly running into the same problem.
Making me do quests one and two levels beyond what is needed to mitigate risks as much as possible.

Some quests are also not run, seldomly ran, closed groups only.

Bad news for the OP: You're likely to get just as stuck at level 5, 7, 10 etc etc.

What I don't like about the looting mechanics is that it feels like it follows a first come first serve mechanic.

PaleFox

That's a BTA item. Alts to the rescue.
Was thinking the same thing, at level 3 it's not so bad to have an alt.
But don't like suggesting that for HQ as subconsciously it leads to taking higher risks (because having a backup plan.)
And, well, it should not be necessary and later on in the game it will become a pain to just keep those alts floating around.
Oh man, the pain of losing the main (with all the good gear) and then trying to compeed with a alt that has subpar gear is asking for trouble twice over.

Btw, isn't blur the same thing?

Edit:
As an alternative you could run for:
- Cloak of Autumn - lvl 5
- Gloves of Tranquility - lvl 5
- Red Raptor Feather - lvl 7
- Sacrarium Cloak - lvl 7

After that it becomes the temple of elemental evil's armors on which it can be found.
So I guess more stepping into the feywild and take a more riskier chance there.

Last edited:

Zokathra

Also, what about a /chestransack command that displays timers for chests. It will not matter if the chest identifier is a meaningless text string. If you have ransacked a chest, you will very likely know exactly which it is and don't need the descriptor name to be specific. We just need to know when the thing started so that we can plan accordingly. This is especially frustrating when trying to sprint along in a short two-month season
I think there's an in-game option to show chest ransack timers in the chat log each time you loot a chest, but that requires you to actively loot the chest to see that specific timer.

tolanj

I don't mean to be glib but...
Just live without the item!

Or since we're talking about a lvl 3 quest level up a 2nd toon for farming.

It seems to me the decision to hold out for an item or press on is part of the whole HC experience and HC would be worse if everyone got their perfect loot at all stages.

Palumtra

Definitely A Member
Ransack needs to be looked at in general not just for HC. Either it has to go away faster or the drop rates have to be raised ( I wouldn't mind Reaper adding extra drop chance by the way, would give some extra incentive to run the quest on R in general).

liosliante

I run the quest only two times a day in reaper mode, and you will have more luck. Or drink a potion of treasure or go with a group to share the item. If you run three or more the same quest and the last chest, you are lower the level and opportunities.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Rerolling chests is an option.
Bringing friends is an option.
Putting up an LFM with "Quest completed, free chest. Please pass Bottle of Smoke" is an option.
Leveling without all the items you want is an option.

Chest ransack isn't getting disabled.

Cataluna

Ransack needs to be looked at in general not just for HC. Either it has to go away faster or the drop rates have to be raised ( I wouldn't mind Reaper adding extra drop chance by the way, would give some extra incentive to run the quest on R in general).
Reaper does add drop chance, fyi. It's 1% per skull.
So the 33% drop rate on elite becomes 34% - 43% depending on how high you push the skulls.

Ying

5000+ hours played
OP, what difficulty are you running the quest on? If you aren't already completing on elite, then that will greatly increase your chance of named loot.

Normal: 10%
Hard: 16%
Elite: 33%

The Narc

Be careful listening to some of the suggestions in here, such as;

Rerolling chests
Buying loot potions

These options cost real money, the more you support the game having behaviours like this the more content will be designed around it. The best way to change the way the game is designed is to not participate in designs that you dont like, you as the player have the power to have an impact.

I said this in another thread somewhere focus on the gear that the devs have no control or influence on the drop rate.

Bunker

I don't mean to be glib but...
Just live without the item!

Or since we're talking about a lvl 3 quest level up a 2nd toon for farming.

It seems to me the decision to hold out for an item or press on is part of the whole HC experience and HC would be worse if everyone got their perfect loot at all stages.
This

liosliante

Be careful listening to some of the suggestions in here, such as;

Rerolling chests
Buying loot potions

These options cost real money, the more you support the game having behaviours like this the more content will be designed around it. The best way to change the way the game is designed is to not participate in designs that you dont like, you as the player have the power to have an impact.

I said this in another thread somewhere focus on the gear that the devs have no control or influence on the drop rate.
So, the only thing to do here is open LFM and let other players to share the chest item.

The Narc

So, the only thing to do here is open LFM and let other players to share the chest item.
This is a nice option and it is great to see the community come together for things like this. Taking actions like these are an example of the players standing united against mechanics created by the devs such as low drop rates to try and inspire potion purchases and astral shard purchases for rerolls. I will continue to say that the players have the power to force change they just need to stand united. Stop listening to all the profiteering streamers who are busy cuddling up with the devs and selling you the devs bad mechanics as the only way and the norm. Stand up and be heard dont take part in the addictive money suck that the devs are trying to create so players can get their fix, dont be a junkie.

axel15810

I'd suggest just moving on without the item. I believe there's some low level hirelings with blur if you want concealment. You could also just take a level and go to Feywild and farm one of the concealment items there.

Last edited: