Controversial: The DDO Parser, is it time?

Should DDO have a dedicated unofficial but accurate parse for the game?

• No, don't hurt me! I'm scared!

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • No, Parses for MMO's are too toxic!

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • No parse! STOP the Elitism!

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • No parse for DDO, we're an all inclusive family friendly game!

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Yes, I would like a parse for testing purposes.

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Yes, a parse will improve the enjoyment of the game.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yes, due to my sociopathic tendencies I enjoy lording my superior DPS over others

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Yes, I will DESTROY YOU! My DPS will make you cry so hard you'll lose any desire to play DDO! Hahaha

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Shardrena

Parsers never factor in buffs, debuffs, and crowd control. It's why the newest (to my knowledge) class in WoW gets so much hate. It's a "DPS" class, but according to parsers it has "bad" dps. Which ignores the fact the class buffs the party's dps. You know, rather then hogging the dps for themself. People saw the healers doing more dps then the class, but didn't try understanding why the parser was saying that.

Ike

I will let you know that a parser was banned by Standing Stone Games. Originally one was going to be implemented through Dungeon Helper (Not sure if consent was given by the original developer) but Standing Stone Games prohibited releasing it to the public.

But for anyone reading this particular post, the original poster Elminster, is just a poster who posts anything in the world and is just an unproductive forum member.

But no, parsers should not be allowed in game(s), especially this particular game. There's too many factor(s) ranging from past lives to mythic gear boosts that aren't essential or accurate for every single individual.

Last edited:

Raedier

I will let you know that a parser was banned by Standing Stone Games. Originally one was going to be implemented through Dungeon Helper (Not sure if consent was given by the original developer) but Standing Stone Games prohibited releasing it to the public.

But for anyone reading this particular post, the original poster Elminster, is just a poster who posts anything in the world and is just an unproductive forum member.

But no, parsers should not be allowed in game(s), especially this particular game. There's too much negative factor(s) ranging from past lives to mythic gear boosts that aren't essential or accurate.
Tbh Elminster is very productive if it comes to making me laugh out loud.

Guntango

This is an old, recycled idea that I’m still in favor of if it captures data that supports all party types. DPS is easy. Who healed the most below full hp? How quickly did a healer react to a character that took damage? How quickly/often were mobs cc’d? Net effect of character buffs/monster debuffs and who contributed most?

Otherwise, it’s a waste of time and resources as the people who play the game at a high level actually know already.

Last edited:

Neurik

You complain about people doing raids & the gear you can't get from there and yet you want a DPS meter? There's a lot more to the mechanics of the game than what a meter tells you. Many players understand the concept of CC, debuffs, buffs, etc. to work as a team is stronger than any one component. Once you get over your views that DPS and big numbers are all that matter in a party/raid, then you can up your gameplay.
First he needs to actually buy the expansions, then he needs to stop posting pointless and ridiculous polls all the time, then he needs to actually follow through on the teaching raids he was all hyped to do....THEN he can work on his parser.

pame12

Apparently it's unnamed right now. But what info exists can be found here, among other sites. Currently it's known as "Project Baxter", and is being made by the same people who made Payday.
Hopefully they'll design it in such a way as to not need to hardcap jump.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Apparently it's unnamed right now. But what info exists can be found here, among other sites. Currently it's known as "Project Baxter", and is being made by the same people who made Payday.
This isn't a persistent MMO. More a multi-player co-op.

Lacci

I´d rather people just play the game instead of checking if others play it "correctly" or not.

Guntango

It could be set up in a way that doesn't out your party members. Your info shows, followed by members 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Mordenkainen

Also, parses won't be made public unless the group/raid leader wants a public parse, maybe a toggle.

And I think things like parses will go a LOOONG way to stop the idling epidemic.

But yeah you got to balance that with the toxicity that a good parser can bring to a game because there exists some truly toxic people in this relatively ez game for some strange reason.

Also, you can build a "debuff" number into the parser. Calculate total -% debuff applied to X number of creatures for X number of seconds.

I mean we can parse out people's spending habits in numerical form for entire nations, some video game parse is really trivial.

Shardrena

The problem is it doesn't matter if a parser's output isn't shared with the group. Each person would run it seperately, and gatekeep content based on what parsers say a person's "contributions" are, based solely on healing and dps. If I chose to play a bard that focuses on buffing the party, being a backup healer, and crowd controls (rather then direct damage), people who care about "maximized dps/healing" and using parsers would end up booting me from the team for "not contributing". While ignoring the fact that my contributions were allowing the party to deal more damage and deal it safer. It's something that regularly happens in any MMO where parsers gain a foothold.

Driaza

What about the insta killer builds?

The could have no DPS (or little) but handle all the trash

You just interested on big numbers vs Boss mobs?

Reactions: DBZ

Mordenkainen

What about the insta killer builds?

The could have no DPS (or little) but handle all the trash

You just interested on big numbers vs Boss mobs?
Insta-kills parse usually the total hit points it had. So, yeah it's massive DPS per second.