Controversial: The DDO Parser, is it time?

Should DDO have a dedicated unofficial but accurate parse for the game?

• No, don't hurt me! I'm scared!

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • No, Parses for MMO's are too toxic!

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • No parse! STOP the Elitism!

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • No parse for DDO, we're an all inclusive family friendly game!

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Yes, I would like a parse for testing purposes.

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Yes, a parse will improve the enjoyment of the game.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yes, due to my sociopathic tendencies I enjoy lording my superior DPS over others

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Yes, I will DESTROY YOU! My DPS will make you cry so hard you'll lose any desire to play DDO! Hahaha

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
I know you may be thinking, why would a parser be controversial?

First let's define what a Parser is: It's a script that (usually) attaches to your client (much like custom UI's that the majority of you here use) and that calculates things like DPS by each player, Damage Taken by each player, Heals done to another player by each player, overall Damage done etc. etc.

I swear to you, I have seen entire guilds -decades old- get decimated because of 'the Parser'.

I have seen people quit over 'the Parser'.

I have heard the most elitist, stuck-up, and rabidly compeitive players and guilds scream at each other over voice coms because of 'the Parse' or 'the Parser'

But...

It would bring the game's compeititive ruler to the next level.

Who cares about R10 completions when everyone knows your DPS stick is leagues beyond any other player on your server.

It reveals all and raises those few deserving to the status of gods and lays low those charlatans and pretenders to the depths of shame.

Gentlemen, let me tell you. It's the most sublime form of ego stroking you will ever experience in a video game.

Is DDO ready for a unofficial/official parser?

Last edited:

rabidfox

The People's Champion
You complain about people doing raids & the gear you can't get from there and yet you want a DPS meter? There's a lot more to the mechanics of the game than what a meter tells you. Many players understand the concept of CC, debuffs, buffs, etc. to work as a team is stronger than any one component. Once you get over your views that DPS and big numbers are all that matter in a party/raid, then you can up your gameplay.

vryxnr

I think El thinks of himself as an idea man, a visionary, who is throwing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what, if anything, sticks. Even if it's someone looking at the splatter and going "is it art?" and makes them think. Is that a win? I don't know. It's all so random and sometimes unhinged that I can't take it seriously anymore (which will be a shame if a good idea comes out, as it'll be ignored by many simply from the history. boy who cried wolf, and all that)

Bazkoth

Being able to test different gear and/ or builds out to see what squeaks out a little more dps is more of a personal optimization than you must be this tall to ride. Especially with a population like ddo. Some people might use them as requirements but that's on them

Hireling

I'd like a parser for the dummies in the airship and allow to have different dummies with fortification for testing purposes.
Maybe not having parse inside a quest is the answer.
I have done a few Sacred Fist lives and the q-staff buil "feels" stronger/faster than the hand to hand (at least for heroic leveling).
Was curious on how single target damage they compared.

Kessaran

I'd like a parser for the dummies in the airship and allow to have different dummies with fortification for testing purposes.
Maybe not having parse inside a quest is the answer.
I have done a few Sacred Fist lives and the q-staff buil "feels" stronger/faster than the hand to hand (at least for heroic leveling).
Was curious on how single target damage they compared.
Handwraps is higher dps at 32 assuming Best in Slot gear but Staff is miles ahead for leveling speed.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
A dps meter is pointless. The same build with the same gear will perform quite different under the controll/play of diffrent players. Yes it is useful as a comapring tool but ingame soulstones do zero dps.
I would rather have someone in my party with a less dps capable toon but who makes good decisions and helps the party to complete any quests/raids and I definetely dont want someone who is cocky because of his/her dps meter is awesome" and causes red/purple DA all the time or overestimating his/her limits and dies all the time and do nothing for the party.

DDO doesnt need things like this. 👎

TavernBrawler

How much lag will this bring to the table? I dont want any new systems until DDO is upgraded from 1990s tech to 2020s. Let me remind again we have a new D&D MMO coming in 2026 built on the latest tech and 5E rules, SSG is sleep walking into oblivion.

Geezer

For me, a parser would fine as I mainly solo. But I can see the distinct possiblility of grouping problems with a parser. It might really hurt the game. Thats why I voted for the parser for testing purposes option. And then, as stated above, would it cause more lag???

Shardrena

I'd say that DPS Parsers are actually harmful to a game's community. And I'll explain why. It leads to cookie cutter builds and elitist exclusion of anyone who doesn't meet arbitrary high benchmarks. Let's take three monk players. One goes into the Ninja Spy tree, the other two go into the Shinto tree. Naturally, the parser probably says the ninja spy monk does better DPS, because they are adding sneak attack damage to attacks regularly. Does this make them a better team mate? Maybe, maybe not.

Of the two shinto monks, one spams elemental strikes and elemental damage finishers as often as they can, while the other primarily uses Fist of Light, Dismissing Strike, Jade Tomb, Smite Tainted, and the Lightx3 finisher, which is a PBAOE cure light wounds. Maybe the one using the elemental finishers does more dps according to the parser. But does this make them a better team mate? Or is the monk using crowd control, healing, and removing status effects/stat damage the better team mate despite having lower dps according to the parser?

According to those who view a parser as a Good Thing, Ninja Spy is the only viable option because of it's higher DPS. But then again, they would also disregard any contributions from a monk because the parser tells them monks have "crap" dps compared to a barbarian, for example. They'd also disregard any contributions from a crowd control specializing wizard or sorc, because crowd control isn't dps. And a parser can't tell what contributions crowd control are providing.

SSG is sleep walking into oblivion.

Funny, this was said regarding the Neverwinter mmo too. And it proved wrong then too.

DBZ

Don't need a parser to do that already not many left care

barely even matters on r10s

I'll always take a good crowd controller or a tank

Shardrena

Oh, I'm aware a parser isn't needed for such people. But having one encourages such behavior.

Then again, I've been booted from groups running easy stuff like Gianthold because when the party leader demanded everyone link their DR breakers, I linked the Eternal Rest handwraps since silver was the only material based DR I couldn't bypass already. Thing is, nothing in the quest the group planned to run cared about DR beaters. It was just mostly gnolls, kobolds, wolves, trolls, and giants.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Lacci

I'd say that DPS Parsers are actually harmful to a game's community.
Absoutely agree, it killed much of the fun in WoW for me. I saw people during normal dungeons and raids constantly checking everyone´s DPS and talk down on people when they were too low for their taste. In rare cases I´ve seen people kicked from the party because their DPS was too low.
And if the party dies, they are quick to throw the blame around ...

DBZ

Must have 2k hp bar to ride the rides like that matters

And bet it doesn't count debuffs either so pretty useless tool