Ying's Reaper Warlock

Ying

5000+ hours played
Ying's Reaper Warlock (link) contains feats, enhancements, epic destinies, gearing, spell selection, commentary about choices and a breakdown for the most important mechanics. It is hosted in Google Docs because it's 30 pages long, and the forum software would choke if I tried to cut and paste it. Feel free to download a local copy, or bookmark the link in case I make minor adjustments based on feedback. The build is current as of Update 59. I'm happy to answer any questions about it.

adamkatt

The best reaper warlock will still be a tank lock like voodu's build. ive been running it for years.. can solo r6 and with decent heals tank r10.. The new skin class got old real fast... the claw mode is fun for a bit... but thats about it... its just a modified fiend lock... and the beam... i just used cone since the beam is really only good for a single non moving target most of the time...

Ying

5000+ hours played
The best reaper warlock will still be a tank lock like voodu's build.
"Best" is subjective. The goals of my build are effective crowd control followed closely by damage, and it meets those goals with flying colors. Voodoo's goal is primarily a tank and it has non-functional DCs and average damage. I invite people to try out both and play the one that suits their play style.

I have zero personal interest in soloing mid skull reaper, as I play DDO to have fun with friends. If you like to solo mid-skulls, then this build is more than capable. I duo R7/R8 with a buddy running an Assassin without breaking a sweat.

If I wanted a tanky character for reaper questing, I'd go back to playing Feydark Sorcerer for S Tier DCs and way more HP/defense. But after earning 25 million reaper XP with it I'm tired of it.

Enigma

How can I see the equipment, it’s blurry. Apologies I’m not tech savvy. I’m interested in maximizing my gear and specifically improving spell power on my demonlock.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Mobile browsers have issues viewing the imbedded screenshots. Nothing I can do about that.

Last edited:
Unless they recently changed this, there should be a cap for how much reaper skulls can decrease concealment by. I once took some screen shots of getting "blurry" missed by R10 mobs to prove this. Granted, this was over a year ago and I haven't retested Displacement since.

Eleazzar

"Best" is subjective. The goals of my build are effective crowd control followed closely by damage, and it meets those goals with flying colors. Voodoo's goal is primarily a tank and it has non-functional DCs and average damage. I invite people to try out both and play the one that suits their play style.

I have zero personal interest in soloing mid skull reaper, as I play DDO to have fun with friends. If you like to solo mid-skulls, then this build is more than capable. I duo R7/R8 with a buddy running an Assassin without breaking a sweat.

If I wanted a tanky character for reaper questing, I'd go back to playing Feydark Sorcerer for S Tier DCs and way more HP/defense. But after earning 25 million reaper XP with it I'm tired of it.
Hey Ying. I appreciate your build. The Feydark Sorceror that you mentioned. Do you have that build that you can post?

Fisto Mk I

Good catch. Pact damage is now 1d6. Fixed.
Glad to help.

Now, what about put Raid filigree in bugged 10 slot? According J1NG research, weapon slot 7 and slot 10 clearly bugged and cause set bonus miscalculation.
Your weapon filigrees is from live server (and provide correct set bonuses) or pure theory crafting? 8)

DeathTitan

Clouded Dreams ring doesn't have spell focus mastery +5, but only insightful spell focus mastery +3: because brightfang dot on staff sucks badly, you could put +5 spell focus mastery there instead.

You miss a quality spell power item (optional).

You use Ruin and Greater ruin but don't have any kinetic lore items (only a generic 12% spell lore).

Did you test Ruin and Greater ruin after update 59 casters nerf? they still oneshot reapers at r10 difficulty? (I remember them often not oneshotting reapers before the nerf... all depend on critical chance luck).

You could have items with charisma +15 and insightful charisma +6 instead of your +14 and +5.

You could focus only on fire and force and ignore radiance.

I don't know why you chosed dread curse set: for 30 profane prr? (you are not a tank), for +25 profane spell power? you could equip legendary sunken slippers to get that amount of spellpower with quality type and have the same total spell power.

About your DC:
116 evocation DC is acceptable but in the new Droaam content they will save your eldritch blasts often (they are fortitude saves).

106 enchantment dc... mmmhhh... I tested 117 greater color spray DC (will save) against isle of dread r10 despair reapers and they almost always save against it.

you have 107 necro DC, I tested 115 finger of death DC in isle of dread r10 quests and they are saving often.

Warlocks can reach great DC numbers but you are missing many sources to increase your DC.

PRR: having 204 prr or 174 prr without the profane bonus from iod set will barely make any difference at R10 difficulty (I would work on maxing temporary hit points sources, like I spent 14 points in primal avatar like you to take shard storm and cocoon for tons of temp hit points).
You said that you have vistani enhancement to deflect arrows but you can afford to be hit by arrows if you have tons of temporary hit points, and spend those enhancement points to increase your DC instead (feydark illusionist? falconry?).

Overall a good R6 build, but at R8+ it would struggle especially in newer content.

To make mobs helpless you have mass hold, but against mind influence immune mobs burst of glacial wrath would be effective (if your evocation DC can reach about 124 for any content).

Last edited:

Ying

5000+ hours played
The Spell Focus Mastery 5 was a typo (now fixed) and not relevant since I had +6 slotted in augments.

Whether you slot Quality Spellpower 24 or get it from the Dread Curse set as Profane USP 25 doesn't matter. It's the same net.

Force doesn't benefit from MRR reduction.

You use Ruin and Greater ruin but don't have any kinetic lore items (only a generic 12% spell lore).
You could have items with charisma +15 and insightful charisma +6 instead of your +14 and +5.
Let's see your gear set. Don't bother if it requires a double gem set bonus.

Warlocks can reach great DC numbers but you are missing many sources to increase your DC.
What sources are those? I purposely don't include Reaper stat hat, or Reaper ring enchants in the calculations.

Overall a good R6 build, but at R8+ it would struggle especially in newer content.
Everyone not a Feydark Sorc struggles with DCs in Legendary Droaam.

DeathTitan

The Spell Focus Mastery 5 was a typo (now fixed) and not relevant since I had +6 slotted in augments.

Whether you slot Quality Spellpower 24 or get it from the Dread Curse set as Profane USP 25 doesn't matter. It's the same net.

Force doesn't benefit from MRR reduction.

Let's see your gear set. Don't bother if it requires a double gem set bonus.

What sources are those? I purposely don't include Reaper stat hat, or Reaper ring enchants in the calculations.

you can read "DeathTitan Cold Druid" for all sources of DC: I think that charisma based classes can get more DC from filigrees/race than wisdom based classes.

I could agree about the "MRR" reduction, but your main dps sources would be ruin, greater ruin, dragon breath that use only fire and force (I didn't compare eldritch blast dps with ruin/greater ruin/dragon breath dps), you are not using holy fireball in exalted angel tier 5 that uses light+fire spell power, you are using healing pillar so you are not using sun pillar with light spell power: trust me that the mrr reduction impact of your eldritch blasts using evil instead of force spell power is not noticeable.

You could use "Reborn in Fire" in primal avatar destiny for self healing and aoe dps (I didn't test reborn in fire dps with an end game acolyte of skin fire focused dps build).

If I were in you I would focus on evocation and necromancy, getting +3 necro from Draconic incarnation and +3 evocation from Fatesinger, mass hold should work anyway, forget about light spell power and flamecleansed fury set (find another set and try to fit somehow the +15% artifact bonus to helpless damage, maybe taking a look at the 2 new droaam sets obtained with only 3 items), take epic spell focus evocation and Spell Speciality Necromancy at level 31 for +3 more Necromancy DC, embolden feat for +2.

You should aim for 130 Necromancy DC in my opinion because I noticed that mobs were saving my burst of glacial wrath (fortitude save) with 125 DC in R10 Droaam quests and if I'm not wrong instant kill necromancy spells suffer of a further -6 penalty in reaper content.

My idea of warlock is Crowd control + instant kill focused, with good dps (but not maxed dps) and probably would not include ruin/greater ruin (depends if I can reach 130 necromacy DC with ruin and greater ruin among my feats).

Last edited:
Reactions: DBZ

DeathTitan

Also other classes can do well in Legendary Droaam, not only Feydark Sorc:
- with 128 evocation DC spells that have fortitude saves almost always land;
- with 117 necromancy DC I was able to always instant kill archers (and also casters if I'm not wrong), but I was never able to instant kill melee orcs unless they rolled a 1;
- with 114 illusion I was often able to hold despair reapers.

Tests made in blockade buster solo R10:
Blockade buster

Last edited:

Ying

5000+ hours played
Looking through your build I see what you're referring to.

I swapped out Coalesced 5pc for Eye of the Beholder 4pc and Embraced by Light CHA to net 3 DC, at a loss of 30 USP and 5% crit dmg. I also moved Epic Eldritch Blast to level 21, and took Embolden Spell at level 24 at the cost of losing Wellspring.

Dragonborn is a great race for Warlock if you aren't fire-specced. If I could construct a non-fire gearset with what I want, I'd go Dragonborn in a heartbeat for the 3 Evo/Conj DCs. At a minimum the gear set needs to have Artifact DC, Artifact CHA, and Artifact element/force crit chance (along with the typical lore, spellpower and insightful spellpower you'd expect). And that's why my build is pingeonholed to the Flamecleansed Fury set. There simply aren't non-fire alternatives to that right now, unless you're lucky enough to roll a Gem of Many Facets with a double set bonus. Perhaps the U60 mini-xpac will change that.

Fatesinger instead of Exalted Angel for 2 CHA is interesting. The most notable loss as a Warlock is Mass Cure Mod. It's such an awesome SLA with the amount of crit chance/dmg and positive spell power in this build. I lean on it heavily when I run high skulls without a healer.

Dropping 5% crit chance from Soul Eater to get Feydark Illusionist Greater Color Spray makes me pause. GCS is wonderful. But every time I don't crit with Ruin, it's a feelsbad moment. I'm going to play around with it.

Last edited: