I really want to like this game. I have had fun!! But now I'm level 5 and already frustrated.

Patchup

I understand that this was not a free to play game originally. I think I understand how content is put out as packages and these are mini DLC.
I like the idea that NEW content is created for all levels. I sort of understand the reimcarnation concept and that is why new low/mid level content is still produced.

But as a new player I have no idea what to do next.
I am level 5 and all my quests are either level 2 or require a purchase from the store. As a Veteran MMO player I have gone through many a leveling process. I welcome new ways to move a player through the story and building a character. But I do expect some guidance in progression, especially in the early stages.

I started the sharn syndicate quests and now it requires a purchase. I bought one content package and now I need to buy another one. I only did the intital purchase because players and stream creators informed me what were good factions and quests to do early in the game. I wish I was told by the first quest giver that this was a DLC before I invested time into it.

Am I really required to go to forums or wiki to get direction on how to progress my character and to know what quests I can and cannot do free? I know I can go to other sections/areas but this breaks continuity of the story and I am concerned I will miss something needed for my class, race, etc. because I don't have any direction as to what is the "next step" in my character's story.

I am not usually a person that whines and complains or tries to paint a dreary picture all the time. This post is 50% frustration, 50% sincerity in wanting to play this game, and 50% confusion. Not the fun kind of confusion that I experienced on the very fun puzzles in the early dungeons. That was fun and my math was much better then.

To anyone that read all this I thank you and I appreciate your time and willingness to help. I had a LOT of fun up to this point but the last two days were just wandering around lost.

Buddha5440

There are plenty of low-mid lv quests available to F2P players...Simply look for NPC's with a gold chalice/goblet above their heads (if it's red it means you don't own that specific content).

Also...the WIKI is your friend, like it or not.

Praun

I understand that this was not a free to play game originally. I think I understand how content is put out as packages and these are mini DLC.
I like the idea that NEW content is created for all levels. I sort of understand the reimcarnation concept and that is why new low/mid level content is still produced.

I am level 5 and all my quests are either level 2 or require a purchase from the store. As a Veteran MMO player I have gone through many a leveling process. I welcome new ways to move a player through the story and building a character. But I do expect some guidance in progression, especially in the early stages.

I started the sharn syndicate quests and now it requires a purchase. I bought one content package and now I need to buy another one. I only did the intital purchase because players and stream creators informed me what were good factions and quests to do early in the game. I wish I was told by the first quest giver that this was a DLC before I invested time into it.

Am I really required to go to forums or wiki to get direction on how to progress my character and to know what quests I can and cannot do free? I know I can go to other sections/areas but this breaks continuity of the story and I am concerned I will miss something needed for my class, race, etc. because I don't have any direction as to what is the "next step" in my character's story.

I am not usually a person that whines and complains or tries to paint a dreary picture all the time. This post is 50% frustration, 50% sincerity in wanting to play this game, and 50% confusion. Not the fun kind of confusion that I experienced on the very fun puzzles in the early dungeons. That was fun and my math was much better then.

To anyone that read all this I thank you and I appreciate your time and willingness to help. I had a LOT of fun up to this point but the last two days were just wandering around lost.
What server are you on?

Did you not turn in the DUNGEONCRAWL(sp?) code that was active a few weeks ago?

That opened up a LOTTA free quests.

Lagin

I hear you. I read entire post. I totally agree and feel your pain about breaking the quest arc. Other posted the wiki link for F2P quets, but it doesn't help you experience the full Syndacate story arc. SSG has released 2 all contnent codes in 3 years. I actually anticipate them to do so again later this year.
Now to help you out, a lot of us established players not going vip, have used the store points you get points from favor to buy adventure packs.
I suggest you do the same, go to each server, create a fun playable character on these servers and spend the time to run up between 150 and 200 favor per server. You'd be suprised how many store points you can accumulate in tolerable amount of time. And the bonus to this is you increase your DDO skills and knowledge to make leveling toons much easier and fun.

As asked earlier what server are you planning on using as your home base? All of us vets will be more thsn happy to throw you some guess passes.
Joining a well established guild will help in a LOT of ways also.
Welcome to DDO.

Nebless

You have a couple of in game tools that will help you. 1st you have the Adventurers Compedium panel that lists every quest in the game. Each of the column headers across the top are clickable and allow you to sort the information however you want to. For your case I'd go with the quest giver column and click it so you've an alphabetical list.

Then by using it and your open map (looking for the gold chalice like Bhudda mentioned) you can match up the quest givers to the quests and what level they are.

Also make use of the linked free to play list. You've got 78 lvl 1 to 10 free dungeons mostly in the Harbor and Marketplace.

I started the sharn syndicate quests and now it requires a purchase. I wish I was told by the first quest giver that this was a DLC before I invested time into it.

Not really understanding what you're saying here. You would have had to buy Sharn Syndicate to play it, (unless you had used the dungeoncrawl content coupon and now have all the content for free) and the "I wish I was told by the first quest giver that this was a DLC before I invested time into it." is pretty much covered by you clicking on a red chalice marker on the map / ssg coin over the quest giver's head and getting the prompt that you don't own the content, do you want to buy it.

With the exception of a couple of teaser quests like the intro to Dread Island you can't start a expansion or dungeon pack without first buying it.

If you finished the 6 syndicate dungeons, you've finished that dungeon pack so I'm guessing you're referring to Masterminds of Sharn as the new dlc / continuing the story? If so the 2 dungeon packs aren't related enough to worry about and while Syndicate is a lvl 4 pack, Masterminds is lvl 15 expansion vice dungeon pack so no real need to pick it up yet.
-----
"I know I can go to other sections/areas but this breaks continuity of the story and I am concerned I will miss something needed for my class, race, etc. because I don't have any direction as to what is the "next step" in my character's story."

While there is an overall story arc, it's not super clear so nothing really to worry about and while some packs are linked (Necroplis parts 1-4), most packs are pretty much stand alones so having / not having the next pack isn't needed.

Also you won't miss anything for your class etc.... One of the gameplay options is to only get rewards for your class and none of it is 'needed' to play, some items are nice to have, but none are a show stopper in that you'd have to stop playing or be gimped if you don't have it.
----

DDO doesn't do a lot of hand holding like other games, no wrapper or direction quests. It's just you, the map and the Adventurer's Compedium in game and the DDO wiki out of game for you to decide where you want to go next. There is NO correct order to play the game in, just do what you want to do.

Last edited:

Lotoc

One thing I'd suggest (and people will bite my head off for) is if you see yourself playing this game for a while, you missed the quest code and you're just starting out?
Do not spend any money on buying quest packs or on points directly, instead vip sub for 1-3 months to unlock the majority of quest packs for that timespan.
Use that time to learn what quests you like and don't like, earn DDO points through favor on top of the 500 points per month and when your VIP ends buy whichever packs you enjoyed most with the accumulated points.

People like to insist VIP is worthless but if you don't have most quest packs unlocked it's incredibly good value.

If you want to be pure f2p and you missed the dungeoncrawl code and others before it it really will be a struggle, in fact I sincerely can not recommend starting this game if you intend to be purely f2p without starting in those code windows.

Br4d

VIP for a few months is a very good call. Unlocks everything but expansions and gives you some quality of life benefits as well, like more character slots, faster run speed, no gold cap, etc.

Lagin

VIP for a few months is a very good call. Unlocks everything but expansions and gives you some quality of life benefits as well, like more character slots, faster run speed, no gold cap, etc.
In dollars and sense, a 3 month sub is great. The amount of favor/ store points you can amass to pay for content is well worth it

Silverfox

If you do decide to go VIP for a time you might consider waiting until you have leveled as high as possible with the idea that there is more than enough Exp to get a first life character to level 14 to 16 without a lot of repeat quest running.

At this point go VIP cap quickly to 20. Then take the time to run off all the low level non epic content for quick favor and more Store points. Then you can spend some time running Epic/Legendary content or whatever else you want.

If you cannot complete Epic or Legendary content on Epic Elite you cannot re-run it on heroic to gain max favor

Keep this in mind

If you plan to Reincarnate be sure to obtain at least 20 Tokens of the Twelve from the list near the bottom of this wiki page -- https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Token_of_the_Twelve

By going VIP once you have gained as many level as possible you will be able to run off the lower end content much quicker and not waste you VIP sub on low end questing as you learn the game.

Lagin

If you do decide to go VIP for a time you might consider waiting until you have leveled as high as possible with the idea that there is more than enough Exp to get a first life character to level 14 to 16 without a lot of repeat quest running.

At this point go VIP cap quickly to 20. Then take the time to run off all the low level non epic content for quick favor and more Store points. Then you can spend some time running Epic/Legendary content or whatever else you want.

If you cannot complete Epic or Legendary content on Epic Elite you cannot re-run it on heroic to gain max favor

Keep this in mind

If you plan to Reincarnate be sure to obtain at least 20 Tokens of the Twelve from the list near the bottom of this wiki page -- https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Token_of_the_Twelve

By going VIP once you have gained as many level as possible you will be able to run off the lower end content much quicker and not waste you VIP sub on low end questing as you learn the game.
I disagree. Vip unlocks elite. Leveling from 5 to 20 is ezpz, besides, he'd miss lots of great content at level

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
I understand that new players want to play all content. But since we have way more quests than are needed to reach 20 and this game relies on True Reincarnations I'd like to propose the idea that you don't play all content in your first life but just up to 20 and then start again on a 2nd life and invest the earned ddo points from favor into new quest packs when you run out of unknown quests. That way you experience new content every time, gain knowledge what is good or bad for you and your playstyle and don't get bored because you played everything 3 times already.

Tscheuss

Each of the servers has a first-time favor bonus. 50 store points for the first 5 favor (only need one quest on elite to get you there), 25 DP at 25 favor, and 25 DP at 50 favor just to start. This means you can get over 400 points in little more time than it takes to create a character on each server (don't forget Hardcore).
Earn while you learn, and play to pay. ;)

Many players will help you do favor runs if you post an LFM for that. :)

Ungermax

Master Artificer

May I ask what server you are on?

Knudge

I agree with you that there should a clear distinction between what is available to 'Free to Play Members Of Our Community' and 'Customers and Subscribers of the Company.' And if anyone suggests a Blue Check verification System, I will not be amused.

Knudge

This quest list may help you find quests that Free to Play have access to.

Many vet players will get you guest passes if you post on the LFM panel. You should let us know what server you are on and many will help you with builds, gear, and quests.
Absolutely, many of us are willing to help you out. But I agree that it would be easier if we all knew what was F2P and what wasn't. maybe just a different shade of Yellow'Orange on the Icons. No judgement, just let us VIPs know where we should or shouldn't invite our new potential customers to.

Knudge

Each of the servers has a first-time favor bonus. 50 store points for the first 5 favor (only need one quest on elite to get you there), 25 DP at 25 favor, and 25 DP at 50 favor just to start. This means you can get over 400 points in little more time than it takes to create a character on each server (don't forget Hardcore).
Earn while you learn, and play to pay. ;)

Many players will help you do favor runs if you post an LFM for that. :)
Sure, but a lot of the lowbie stuff that could be really useful is not F2P. Keep on the Borderlands eg. Most Newbies are excited at the idea of a Mount. Why not let Newbies collect Feathers and then charge them to complete the Quests? Because that would be deplorable?

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I think there could be more guidance via in game on the 'you can do these quests or not'. But, if you open the store it will show you all the packs you are missing/don't have.
Besides, given that the subscription covers a lot of dungeons if you don't want to buy a good amount of content, it's probably not mentioned for that reason.
That aside, the sub doesn't provide much when you have bought all the content. . .not even going to get into the dollar amount of it all. SSG kind of has a empty your account policy to get adventures as opposed to a sub and get access to all policy, no idea what is happening in the business department there.
As others have said though, wiki is one's best friend in this regard and a lot of people will lend you a hand and get you a guest pass to try stuff out. My advice would be the character bit stated above, and push through each low level quest on elite on each server. It's slow, tedious, but will save you money and allow you to start getting packs for free.

Knudge

I think there could be more guidance via in game on the 'you can do these quests or not'. But, if you open the store it will show you all the packs you are missing/don't have.
Besides, given that the subscription covers a lot of dungeons if you don't want to buy a good amount of content, it's probably not mentioned for that reason.
That aside, the sub doesn't provide much when you have bought all the content. . .not even going to get into the dollar amount of it all. SSG kind of has a empty your account policy to get adventures as opposed to a sub and get access to all policy, no idea what is happening in the business department there.
As others have said though, wiki is one's best friend in this regard and a lot of people will lend you a hand and get you a guest pass to try stuff out. My advice would be the character bit stated above, and push through each low level quest on elite on each server. It's slow, tedious, but will save you money and allow you to start getting packs for free.
Sure, I agree, the Free 2 Play quests are shown to the F2Players. But they're also shown the VIP Only Content as an attempt to sell it to them. All I am saying is that, as VIPs maybe we should know what can and can't be done. Maybe Yellow and Orange for Us vs. Them. Is that really how you want it? NO! I want to be able to bring new players in. Not leave them out! If I could give some of my XP or my Guild Renown to a prospective customer? I would do it in a heartbeat. If you wouldn't, well that says more about you than me.
(For the record, this is not currently how it works. I'm OK with playing F2P with Newbies. Are you?)