To SSG; The endgame and the mountain we climb

Sheikra

If you want to do most or all of the character development it is quite a mountain.

Then you get to the peak and face the horrible epiphany that there is hardly anything to do at endgame with that character to which you devoted thousands of hours of play and possibly thousands of dollars too. A handful of relevant raids whose items have planned obsolescence. A bunch of reaper quests that only offer good RXP on the first run through.

At this point it might actually be worth putting up a big warning sign in Korthos telling people that there is no endgame, so if you ever get a character to a point where it is complete you will realise the joke is on you. Then your next choice will be to do it again or leave the game.
What does a good endgame look like? I've not played any other MMOs to endgame, and I'm having a hard time imagining what would be considered good.

It is my understanding, mistaken as it may be, that all games have power creep and gear with "planned obsolescence". At the end of the day, what can a game offer you beyond in-game rewards? Are there MMOs offering cash prizes to top raid pushers or something 🤣

Jummby

Would you have more fun if you ran higher difficulty when leveling? I was getting bored of zerging through content so I took a life and did everything r6+ starting at level 3 quests. Got a few first life friends who joined me, and it was super fun!

Also you don't need 100s of lives to be strong enough to play endgame. I know several players, including myself, who play characters with very few or zero past lives to great effect in endgame content (without raid gear / full filigreefiligree even).

you hit the nail on the head

knowing the quests is huge, and knowing them well may take dozens of runs or more

Gear is the key. After a few heroic lives, your bank is bursting with the 'right stuff' While new players don't have that luxury. The right gear at cap, can take months to get solo. Even if grouped up, newer players wont know what they actually need.

A 1st life character can be set up to do r1-r4 ...but it takes a veteran ddo player set up a character to do that. And it definitely takes a Vet to push past those skulls.

Vets can only help so much with newer players unless you static group with them. I always end up helping a few random players graduate into r1 each life. but, its way to common that their character is built for hard difficulty...and we wind up carrying them more than helping.

Those 400-600 hit point characters trying to do epic reaper can only take so much before they slunk back to soloing hard or just move to another game. There's just TMI to relay to random players in a few tfo's to get them to build a more effective character.

Playstyle goes a LONG way too in DDO. How many times will someone let themselves get surrounded and die before they try a different approach to a mob;)
The original post has endgame in the title. You taking your 1 life r1-4 build and doing organized raids at endgame with it?

Falkor

My "end game" characters are second or third life, and are setup for different roles needed in raids. This allows me to have something to play, and to take care of roles that a raid be missing. They sit, without being TRd, for years. When they are TRd, they double as bank toons. Most have minimal tomes, +2 at most. They work well. One tank, 3 ranged Dps/ trappers, one bard, one melee ... having an end game raider, or more, makes a difference.

Col Kurtz

The original post has endgame in the title. You taking your 1 life r1-4 build and doing organized raids at endgame with it?
clearly you have not read the thread as the discussion progressed. There is no end game in DDO, they only end is when you have finished all the PL's and decide to retire.

Next time leave your cherry picker at home if you want to get involved. Most of the population won't bother with raiding since every other piece of equipment we spent countless hours farming in the past has become obsolete as new updates came out. People call legendary raids 'end game' because there's nothing left to do. They really don't need any of that stuff, so the end came before they started raiding.

insert clip of the Doors "the End" here;)

Jummby

clearly you have not read the thread as the discussion progressed. There is no end game in DDO, they only end is when you have finished all the PL's and decide to retire.

Next time leave your cherry picker at home if you want to get involved. Most of the population won't bother with raiding since every other piece of equipment we spent countless hours farming in the past has become obsolete as new updates came out. People call legendary raids 'end game' because there's nothing left to do. They really don't need any of that stuff, so the end came before they started raiding.

I feel bad for you. There is a whole other aspect of the game you are missing on. It's sad really. You aren't enjoying the comradry with people trying to execute a raid.

Jummby

You can easily lvl to 20 in 24 hours of game play following any leveling guide you choose. the same is true if u choose iconic and want to go to 30 then itr for iconic pl and heroic. If u play 1 hour per day during the week and 4 hrs per day on weekend you can tr 28 times in a year. these numbers are just for example obviously as u can play 3 hrs some days and 0 others and so on... the fact that the game is NEW to new players means they can enjoy experiencing all of the content, mechanics, leveling, getting better gear and more powerful, etc. for the first few times. if this is not satisfying enough then maybe they dont like the game regardless. no one should expect to be as competent after playing for a few months compared to those who have years and years of play. ddo is less of a skill based game than a knowledge and gear/pl game. many love Hardcore for this reason as it balances this out more.
Alpha, gimme a break! As someone that knows you and plays with you, did you really need YEARS to play this game at the level you play it on :) .

If I said Alpha make a raid alt for Baatezu raid days and you wanted to do, you gonna say sure Jum? Than say...I just need a year to put some lives on him?

Guntango

Nah, there’s a healthy end game.

PraetorPlato

1st lifers are fine in raids at cap. At this point, I think every raid has been done on HC; so there's no reason people should feel that they can't do raids (on appropriate difficulties relative to their build/gear) on live.
Also, those appropriate difficulties are relatively high compared to pug difficulty for ~all raids for a well built first lifer. Think *anything r6 or lower* (with the exception of some roles in skellies/thth/fom), any difficulty at all for older raids.

Jummby

Yeah my first life hardcore guy runs r10s and LH/R1 raids. And he is also wearing only like 75% decent gear (no trinket, no gloves, bad weapon etc.)
Wow you must be number 1 on the leader board! R10s on hardcore, you number one? If so and just running r10s in HC what name is yours?

Sheikra

What stats are you getting?
STR
CON
HP
AC
PRR
MRR
Etc.
I'm not on right now, but I can ballpark for you:
Bad strength (dump)
70~ con
5400~ hp
350~ AC
375~ PRR
200~ MRR
8-10% dodge
6 or 7 filigree slots on my main weapon, which is a dino bone sickle (random weapon I pulled in IOD) with melt fang and the +2 exceptional con
No artifact yet (technically I use EVoM for striding lol)
Running as a tank with 3 piece sharn and the rest filled in with winter set and some random ravenloft pieces.

Only tome is +2 strength (leveled on hardcore as a kensai). Have like 10-15ish reaper points so far. Most r10s don't really 'need' a tank, except for red names and dooms and I mostly have him for raiding so I'm not really working on increasing rps too much.

Eventually I'll farm better gear, the build is far from perfect, but it does good enough. Definitely for LH tanking, R1 can get a little sweaty.

Sheikra

Oh, I see...cool story though. Let's try to keep the thread based in reality and the Original Post moving forward.
The thread OP says "new players can't play endgame because they need 100s of lives". I'm saying that isn't true, as evidenced by my first life no-tome toon that manages in endgame content. I'm sorry if you need 100s of past lives to play, but some of us don't I guess 🤷

Jummby

The thread OP says "new players can't play endgame because they need 100s of lives". I'm saying that isn't true, as evidenced by my first life no-tome toon that manages in endgame content. I'm sorry if you need 100s of past lives to play, but some of us don't I guess 🤷
Get hooked on phonics than re read it. Not what I am saying.

Col Kurtz

I feel bad for you. There is a whole other aspect of the game you are missing on. It's sad really. You aren't enjoying the comradry with people trying to execute a raid.
I feel sorry for You...wasting hours in worthless content. I actually do kind of miss raiding, I swapped jobs and now the raid parties I was joining form while I'm at work...but the only thing we get out of lvl32 raids are Threads. It's kind of fun watching 1/2 a party try to keep the other 1/2 alive:)

But we all know from experience... the stuff people are farming in the current raids will be worthless next lvl cap increase. I ran dozens and dozens of FoT's and CitW's ,and now that stuff is junk we may equip for a day or two as we lvl up.

They need more enticement and flexibility like the Von 6 and chrono equipment we can upgrade and use as we TR.