Ridiculous Time Waster

Gnyxl

Ah, its good to know why Anna bugs. Thank you! And the end fight in the castle is easy to navigate, as you said. Would be nicer if they fixed it. These bugs have been around a while.

Any theory to how the script is breaking in the quest OP mentions?

Just a guess but with a changing OS (Windows upgrades or new versions of Linux etc) it could read the code differently or some of the code could simply not work and be ignored, or cause an actual issue. Also old code has to be occasionally cleaned up or it will develop loose chains and fragmented bits of code causing issues. Some of that could be fixed with a hard reset if there is a backup but then updates since that backup would also be deleted, and some of the bugs have been around since the old days.

There could be a lot else going on here too tho or I could be wrong about this stuff since I haven't coded since the C64 / Pet Computer / Vic-20 days, and have not kept up with it either. But trust me there is all kinds of stuff that could be going wrong.

Hobgoblin

Nice try, but I'm not emo. Just stating there are issues to be fixed here and I'm not buying anything else until some issues get fixed.You wanna stir something up why don't you go do that on someone else's thread, otherwise I'll simply report you to the Admin and block you. have a nice day.
if your not emo which muppet are you?

Steeme

In fact I usually kill everyone on board each time I do it regardless if I can't finish. So when I exit there is literally nobody left on the ship unless there are some friendlies (depending on how I do the quest).

Once you remove the key personnel the crew is no longer hostile. There is no need to "kill everyone".

Steeme

Missing the point mate. Based on your discourse in this thread it seems like your method of completing the quest is in a completely roundabout way. If you try to stick to the objectives you can likely avoid glitching the quest, if it is in fact getting glitched.

If something is not working for you, try something different.

Sarandra

I've run this quest in the order of a hundred times, I've never had crests not spawn.

The only thing I've seen is people dying while holding a crest and the crest falling to the ground where it can't be picked up.

Odds are you're not looking in all the possible spawn locations.

Dendrix Deathblade

The captain is in the alcove with the cabin boy, they are both hidden, and effectively non-aggro on you as they don't have direct line of sight. You can zone into the cabin and zone out without aggroing him (especially if you are in sneak mode). So move over there and wave your weapon about and you will find the captain.

I have never not found all the crests. You simply aren't looking in all the right places.

canicus

I am curious which choices you make as you talk to the 2 people going into the quest. Maybe your approach leads to a script not running. I always take the first option on both and I have not had your problem.

Siegfrid

Just remembered that this happens frequently in black loch. Can literally open every door on the main path, kill the boss ... and the quest wont complete bc it thinks one of the gates hasnt been opened.
Yes I had that one recently with the FPS issue.

*I* think the problem is that quest update when you GET CLOSE to the door
For exemple when you get close to first locked door you get : "open door with green key" in the quest menu

but if server lag or you rush too fast , door is opened BEFORE the text appear in quest and you can't finish it.

Siegfrid

I have never not found all the crests. You simply aren't looking in all the right places.
Once i was missing a crest ... And I was going crazy spamming q everywhere running all around the ship
every boss was defeated and I could not find it...

At some point I opened my bag and it was there...Maybe its alzheimer... That ...or I hope there was two crests together and i got both in one click...

I swear it only happened once though...

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Once i was missing a crest ... And I was going crazy spamming q everywhere running all around the ship
every boss was defeated and I could not find it...

At some point I opened my bag and it was there...Maybe its alzheimer... That ...or I hope there was two crests together and i got both in one click...

I swear it only happened once though...
That you can remember...🙄

NightHiker

So I am in Saltmarsh just trying to complete all the quests. I am WAY over level, so I should have no issues with any of these quests. This is the 3rd run of 'Under Cover of Darkness' and each time 1) the Captain never spawns, 2) only 3 of the 4 Crests spawn 3) I am stuck in the quest without being able to complete it and have to quit.

DDO wants us to spend money on the game and keeps making updates while never fixing things like this. Just to let you know DDO, this is one of the reasons I haven't updated my payment info and why I buy nothing. It is time to fix some of the older content before making new content, in my opinion. Anyone else feel this way?

This is a two way street, you want us supporting you, we want a working game.
Haven't ever had any issues with that one myself - the only time I thought it hag bugged out and I couldn't find the last crest was the last time I ran it, last week. It so happened that it had two crests spawn in the bilge. It was the last place I looked, and since it had never happened to me before, I just got the one I saw first once I killed the red named rat and left, and then proceeded to look everywhere else I had already been in case I had missed something, and was about to abandon the quest when I decided to get down again in the bilge and found it.

Just in case it might have happened the same to you on one of those occasions you couldn't find the last one.

Cheers,
NH

Last edited:

saekee

long live ROGUE
hey Gnyxl, sorry to learn of this. I play a sneaky assassin and I basically vacation in that quest when wondering what to do. I am sure you have done all you can so here is what I do anyway:
1) select option two which is the distract one and puts less mobs in the hold
2) I go to starboard or whatever and enter lower area
3) Crest hunt. I click Q and usually spot a few. Locations: In netting (hammocks), by unlockable/breakable door, in room with rednamed pirate. I bluff pull any reapers, sneak down into first room and then open secret door. Loot chest; sometimes there is sentient xp or some rare filigree.
I usually assassinate the active mobs in the hold. If you do things right, the inactive mobs remain inactive and no reinforcements come in. Also don’t fight the rednamed.
Slip into hold, grab any crests there (sometimes even 2); kill rats for second chest option.
Then I go up to lizardfolk area (the door above the tasty ham table). There is sometimes a crest behind the boxes there, and sometimes two will spawn in the lizard room. Bluff lizards and get documents.
If I still need crests, go onto deck. Mobs are 95% of the time facing away, so drop into sneak and go to wizard cabin. Two crests can spawn there. You can loot three collectables too. Don’t fight wizard; no need.
If you are still missing a crest there might be one in the captain’s quarters (sneak easily over to it after the wizard). Gank captain, return to lizard area. Right before leaving lizardfolk to go down below, hit that explosive barrel (this makes them go angry on you. Don’t bother fighting, just leave.) You can then carefully take out the remaining explosive barrels without activating inactive sailors. Check kill count if doing reaper, and if 10, loot.

With knowledge of stealth, you have a chest farm option too—you can hit the two lootgen chests (secret door, cargo area) and loot the end chest without completing the quest. It can be done fairly quickly depending on crest drops. When I am just hitting the end chest, I will avoid the cargo area and check it last as I can sneak to all other locations undetected. It is a lot of fun. You will get rarely sentient xp, some named items and rare filigree like the Dreadbringer ones.

edit: if doing heroic, skip opt chests and just hunt crests. The chest drops the clearwater diamond which is handy for slow heroic healing (16hp/minute) and acts as the diehard feat.

Last edited:

Gnyxl

hey Gnyxl, sorry to learn of this. I play a sneaky assassin and I basically vacation in that quest when wondering what to do. I am sure you have done all you can so here is what I do anyway:
1) select option two which is the distract one and puts less mobs in the hold
2) I go to starboard or whatever and enter lower area
3) Crest hunt. I click Q and usually spot a few. Locations: In netting, by unlockable/breakable door, in room with rednamed pirate. I bluff pull any reapers, sneak down into first room and then open secret door. Loot chest; sometimes there is sentient xp or some rare filigree.
I usually assassinate the active mobs in the hold. If you do things right, the inactive mobs remain inactive and no reinforcements come in. Also don’t fight the rednamed.
Slip into hold, grab any crests there (sometimes even 2); kill rats for second chest option.
Then I go up to lizardfolk area (the door above the tasty ham table). There is sometimes a crest behind the boxes there, and sometimes two will spawn in the lizard room. Bluff lizards and get documents.
If I still need crests, go onto deck. Mobs are 95% of the time facing away, so drop into sneak and go to wizard cabin. Two crests can spawn there. You can loot three collectables too. Don’t fight wizard; no need.
If you are still missing a crest there might be one in the captain’s side (sneak easily over to it after the wizard). Gank captain, return to lizard area. Right before leaving lizardfolk to go down below, hit that explosive barrel (this makes them go angry on you. Don’t bother fighting, just leave.) You can then carefully take out the remaining explosive barrels without activating inactive sailors. Check kill count if doing reaper, and if 10, loot.

With knowledge of stealth, you have a chest farm option too—you can hit the two lootgen chests (secret door, cargo area) and loot the end chest without completing the quest. It can be done fairly quickly depending on crest drops. When I am just hitting the end chest, I will avoid the cargo area and check it last as I can sneak to all other locations undetected. It is a lot of fun. You will get rarely sentient xp, some named items and rare filigree like the Dreadbringer ones.

edit: if doing heroic, skip opt chests and just hunt crests. The chest drops the clearwater diamond which is handy for slow heroic healing (16hp/minute) and acts as the diehard feat.

A crest sometimesspawns in the Captain's Quarters too, or in the hammocks.