Controversial: The DDO Parser, is it time?

Should DDO have a dedicated unofficial but accurate parse for the game?

• No, don't hurt me! I'm scared!

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • No, Parses for MMO's are too toxic!

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • No parse! STOP the Elitism!

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • No parse for DDO, we're an all inclusive family friendly game!

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Yes, I would like a parse for testing purposes.

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Yes, a parse will improve the enjoyment of the game.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yes, due to my sociopathic tendencies I enjoy lording my superior DPS over others

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Yes, I will DESTROY YOU! My DPS will make you cry so hard you'll lose any desire to play DDO! Hahaha

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Elminster

This "test" does not work. Imbues still aren't effected by -threat and it's not pure total damage to steal; if a single hit is "big enough" you can flip something even if you're the lowest total damage dealer. I suspect other factors, too, but they're hard and tedious to test; eg. low defenses, distance, level, lack of movement, etc..

As an example, I have a couple ranged. One is a grade-A thrower that auto-attacks around 10~12k per hit. One is a repurposed HC 1st life INQ with autos in the 2~3K'ish range. Both have -80 ranged threat. The INQ will rip it right off a tank and it's doing about HALF the total auto-attack damage of the thrower. The Big-D thrower is about 5~10% imbue. The INQ is about 80~90% imbue.

As another test/comparison between the two (cuz I was curious), my thrower can solo kill Zulkis (after Irk) before the raid finishes killing either Rudus or Gish. My INQ trying the same trick can't kill Zulkis before the raid finishes both Rudus and Gish and turns to Zulkis.

Basically, just ignore agro-rips. They're nearly meaningless unless you have Defense enabled. The +threat from that is enough to rip it from almost anyone even with ultra-low damage.

Then... we really need a parser. Not only for just DPS but for heals done to others, total damage taken (not just absorbed) and even # of CC'ed mobs or seconds CC'ed. Most buffs? etc.

After reading this thread, I think most DDOers are old enough and mature enough where they would take this tool to further improve and polish their groups/raids.

I think for most established raid groups it'll be more ,"oh I see you're a dedicated TWF DPS.. but you're consistently off by 200.67 DPS compared to the other TWF... let's chat with the other TWF and find out what's going on and fix things."

It'll be a net improvement for a lot of players in the game.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
I think most DDOers are old enough and mature enough
Really!?

Reading the forum over the years and some "inspirational" threads during the last weeknd, dunno if this is a fair statement. Also, forum goers are a very little pool, before any suggestion for parser maybe a loooong haaard look on the in-game behavior should be advised.

This game has already to many demographic divisions (Vets x Returning x Newbies; Hardcore x Casuals; Reapers x Non-reapers; Zergers x Flower sniffers; etc) to add one more.

Oliphant

If the only other solution is people pulling aggro off our tanks just to test their DPS, I guess we really do need a parser 😲

Reactions: DBZ

Elminster

Google "Project Baxter" you will get all the details.
This is a Co-Op game wherein players login to a lobby/server created by another player. Although.. they did mention a "Live Service".

I predict this will be like Diablo IV. I have played Diablo IV for like 2 minutes so someone here who's more familiar answer the question: is Diablo IV MMO-esque? Did you enjoy it like an MMO. Especially, was the loot grind similar to DDO? (that here is key)

Elminster

I actually see Project Baxter doing very well. Co-Op is basically what OG D&D is except instead of a computer you have a live human "running" the game.

I just don't see this appealing much to the MMO crowd unless there is tedious grind, an element of randomness that appeals to the degenerate gambler, and a place to demonstrate one's percieved superiority over others.

Last edited:

Hireling

Parsers never factor in buffs, debuffs, and crowd control. It's why the newest (to my knowledge) class in WoW gets so much hate. It's a "DPS" class, but according to parsers it has "bad" dps. Which ignores the fact the class buffs the party's dps. You know, rather then hogging the dps for themself. People saw the healers doing more dps then the class, but didn't try understanding why the parser was saying that.
From a Career Bard in FFXI and aas a guy who generally plays support in DDO (Bard, Cleric, FVS, Arty)...I am shocked at how many people don't notice the Greater Command/Soundburst meaing they than Wade in and Cleave everything or a Mass Hold, or a Song of recklessness adding melee power and Double attack etc.

GOOD PLAYERS do notice though.

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

The only way I can tell of my DPS is any good now is if I can steal aggro from a solid tank.

I have yet to meet a tank that can hold off aggro on me without spamming intimidate, saying a lot for a THF.
you dont do raidas and you dont know th lava divers and you think they are racist, so where are you playing with a tank? in your house? another MMO? in your imagination?

Elminster

better than your raid loot
8471b678-6146-4b0a-ac3c-d6b79f0207d2_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Scrag

CoH did a "parser" of sorts over a decade ago. It was one of the best things the game did, and greatly increased interest and participation.

It is inclusive of things like, how long does it take for a power to activate, how long "arcanatime" does it take to animate, what is the supposed damage, what is the damage per attack, damage per endurance (think spellpoints) etc etc etc.

If you REALLY want to know what your powers do, this is absolutely NOT the game to do it in. If you are looking for ways it COULD be done, in a way that works, check CoH (Homecoming).

Discount Gandalf

People in CoH check their DPS by beating on pylons in RWZ. People should just play the game. If the monsters are dead and you're not then you do enough damage.

Xaxx

This game is already a stuff-show and you want the.....cough... devs to add something a parser or a feed... adding more load that their.... equipment.... cant handle..... not to mention the absolute subar situation giving some people another e-stick measuring device would turn things into....

You know what, everything else around here has been covered in napalm and thermite... so why the heck not