SSG: Scrap Epic Destinies and Reaper trees to reduce lag by 90%

TavernBrawler

This weekend was an horrible experience for players at Orien. Long loading screens, bank windows opening after 15 minutes (and sometimes in middle of the quests), XP/Slayer pots ticking even after logging off etc. While numerous changes have been done over the years, your team has not able to eliminate or even reduce the impact of lag.
The crux of the matter is this: DDO engine is not built to handle around 200 enhancement points (Heroic + Epic Destinies + Reaper trees) on every swing of the players, every hit by the monsters, hundreds of players stepping in and out of dungeons. We never had 10 minute "flying in the air" lag before MoTU and EDs were introduced. This is also why Hardcore servers have little lag even though population is high. Your masters, EG7, has made it clear no funds will be made available to DDO so I have little reason to believe an update to the engine will ever happen or moving to latest cloud tech will somehow materialize. Sometimes you need to chop off your legs to live a bit longer and so this has to be done, however painful it will be for players.

TLDR
: Scrap EDs and replace with class specific feats at level 24, 28, 30, 34, 38 and 40. Scrap reaper trees, and just provide reaper cosmetics on rxp accumulated.

droid327

There's no way you can know that's the source of the preponderance of lag, or that scrapping them would fix it

What you could know for sure is that it would make L20+ a horrible boring slog with little sense of progression...you're essentially recreating the old PrEs, before Enhancements, and that was a very boring system with little specialization.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
Also, make all weapons deal 1d4 damage, with +1d4 per 3 lvls. Remove Enhancements and make people choose one bonus at char creation, based on a tree. Remove all scrolls and potions. Make all spells deal the same damage. Remove all buff spells.

Yay, won't that be fun!

rabidfox

The People's Champion
HC doesn't lag because of that? Hahahahaha. Sorry, but HC has lag killed so many of my friends, some who never returned. But I'm sure your fix will work, all the people who'd quit would reduce server overhead instantly.

Last edited:

TavernBrawler

HC doesn't lag because of that? Hahahahaha. Sorry, but HC has lag killed so many of friends, some who never returned. But I'm sure your fix will work, all the people who'd quit would reduce server overhead instantly.
If what I am saying is untrue or wrong, please tell the devs or system engineers from SSG to correct me in this post and explain why none of their methods seem to not work and lag goes up with every update. We are all awaiting eagerly (and to tons of people who lost their XP/slayer pots even after logging off).

Lazuli

If what I am saying is untrue or wrong, please tell the devs or system engineers from SSG to correct me in this post and explain why none of their methods seem to not work and lag goes up with every update. We are all awaiting eagerly (and to tons of people who lost their XP/slayer pots even after logging off).
Or maybe you have to demonstrate why those two elements and not others are causing the lag.

A little more seriousness.

By the way, before MOTU I remember horrible lags, the kind that paralyzed the marketplace for whole minutes.

Dragavon

lag goes up with every update.
This is the real problem here.

SSG say they are working on performance all the time, and sometimes they actually do something that helps. But an update or two later and it is as bad or worse again. It is as if they are not capable of getting on top of the lag problem once and for all, every update they make it worse, not better.

droid327

"None of their methods seem to not work"

You're accidentally correct lol

Their lag reductions attempts DO reduce lag. It just doesnt cure it all at once, forever, because its not just one monolithic problem that's going to have one holistic solution.

Lazuli

Saturday's lag was not exclusive to Orien. In Khyber there was also a really bad time, a couple of hours of intermittent but passable lag that ended in a total freeze. In fact, my epic leveling group was stuck unable to take the loot from the final chest of The Portal Opens. After 5 minutes of not being able to move, people logged off and the group dispersed.

I took a half-hour break, and after that the server seemed to go much more smoothly. But in general you can say that it was a bad Saturday.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Saturday's lag was not exclusive to Orien. In Khyber there was also a really bad time
Agro too; within hours of the reboot on Wednesday it was laggy at times. This was me on Saturday.

Despite the weekly reboot, Sharn/lower morgrave/many quests have been like this since Wednesday night on argo (I'm curious how other servers are feeling).
^ that's with R pressed to auto-run forward.

Lazuli

Agro too; within hours of the reboot on Wednesday it was laggy at times. This was me on Saturday.
Yes, in Khyber it must have been at the same time, because when there was the big freeze I came to the forums to see if there were more people with problems, and I just saw your post.

Aelonwy

I've always figured that some of the problem must be the memory leak of repeatedly changing characters. I know that if I've changed characters more than 3 times I experience more and more bank lag. To the point that after 5 character changes I usually quit and restart the client. Does this affect the servers in general? Storage in DDO almost requires storage alts. As far as I know they've never truly acknowledged this issue or put it on their radar for a fix.

Sometimes when one person is experiencing severe lag and they join a group everyone begins experiencing worse lag. What is that about? Often when the person experiencing the severe lag drops group it can clear up for everyone else. How does that work?

My son was experiencing such bad stuttering lag Saturday that I told him to restart and it cleared up. For further confusion to the situation it was his first character to log on for the day and hubby and I were experiencing relatively lag free gaming (at the time) and we were all playing from computers in the same house.

Eoin

Could also be monster manual tracking updates or all the junk we hoarders have across our character banks and TR caches.

Could be queries doing table scans. Which perform great on the internal testing servers, but cause major traffic accidents with production data.

Could be insert/update/delete triggers with cursors doing RBAR to prevent item duping.

Could be expensive lookups in loops.

Could be unnecessary data being sent between client and servers to keep things in sync.

Could be the wrong data structures being used (had developers caching .NET datasets in LOB apps instead of using a lighter weight object in a couple apps I fixed performance issues).

Anyways don't know without the code being available. Could be something as simple as Tonquin needing to reduce the value in sleep statements left sprinkled in code for future performance "fix" wins.