Ki Explosion ... Ability Score too Low to Cast?

Falkor

Sacred Fist ... with 39 Charisma ... full bar of KI ... trying to cast Ki Explosion and getting 'Ability Score too Low' ... What? Why?

My first time trying sacred fist, but I'm really underwhelmed between the wonky animations that make whirlwind worthless with TWF ... and now this.

I can only assume this is yet. one. more. bug.

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
From the wiki:

"Metamagic feats increase the SP cost of Ki Spells, rather than Ki cost. Quickened Ki spells cost both Ki and Spell Points."

Maybe it's this? And you just don't have enough spellpoints?

Falkor

Ki Explosion uses 30 Ki to cast. This is why I said full ki bar ... 310 Ki right now. And even if it did, it wouldn't be saying 'Ability Score too Low.'

Maybe it requires wisdom. Hm. So not intuitive. I'm just irritated at yet another inconsistency in this game.

Last edited:

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
If quicken is on, it costs SP in addition to Ki.

Still, it sounds more like it requires a 10+ wisdom to cast, for some reason I can't understand.

Falkor

Quicken isn't trained, thus not activated. Sitting at 13 wisdom.

And even if it was quicken and required spell points, the character had a full mana bar with 400 mana. This makes zero sense.

Dandonk

Curiouser and curiouser.

It's DDO, I know it's not meant to make sense, but even so...

Falkor

*sigh* Well I guess the solution is to just not use it. Another citizen in the awesome country of Banktoonlandia!

Dandonk

And I guess you've already tried turning it off and on again? *ducks for cover*

Dandonk

Does a 14 Wis work? Maybe Sacred Fist spells are keyed "paladin” and require Wis 10+spell level. Given the class is Cha based it should be Cha 10+spell level, and sounds like a bug.
Sounds plausible, good idea.

But yes, it really should be cha on a cha based class. Ah, well.

Falkor

I turned it off. But not back on again. :D And this tray that pops out of the computer, that's a coffee cup holder right?

Next time I login I'll try 14 wisdom and see. That makes sense, even though it really doesn't. 10+4th lvl spell would mean 14 wisdom required. That could be the issue.

Charisma based classes should use charisma for casting stats ... this is very non-intuitive. *shrug* Oh well. It's DDO. Inconsistency is its only consistency.

misterski

I turned it off. But not back on again. :D And this tray that pops out of the computer, that's a coffee cup holder right?

Next time I login I'll try 14 wisdom and see. That makes sense, even though it really doesn't. 10+4th lvl spell would mean 14 wisdom required. That could be the issue.

Charisma based classes should use charisma for casting stats ... this is very non-intuitive. *shrug* Oh well. It's DDO. Inconsistency is its only consistency.
Yes, but Sacred Fists are still paladin's so stuff like needing wisdom to cast spells is baked in. The devs could easily change such things like they have with archetypes, though.

Hireling

Your Wisdom is too low. PLD needs 10+spell level in WIS to cast.
Ki Explosion is level 4 spell.
Sacred Fist about to get super fun for you.
Hoky Sword, Zeal, Ki Explosion, Death Ward (makes it easier to buff).
Its become one of my favorite classes to play.