Ranged AOE too small of a radius

EinarMal

I am all for making small adjustments. The current radius is tiny, and should be at least 4 tiles.

It also seems sort of buggy, if I target the ground in between a circle of mobs does it seem to work better? I thought I was getting better results just shooting it into the ground vs targeting the mob in front of me. Need to do more testing.

EinarMal

I am still levelilng heroics was in feywild with the three named bears. All three charging me shot the one in the middle with the AOE shatter defenses only hit middle bear. They were right next to each other.

It seems to be too physically large targets basically take up the entire radius.

EinarMal

Currently it's 2.5 tiles. Doubled may be too radical, but 3.5 at least is really needed.

Do you know how wide SDK chains are? They seem a lot wider to me. I know melee are going to be chiming in on risk blah blah. The only way to hit more than three mobs with this seems to be to round everything up just like an SDK build would. If I shoot a pack from range I am lucky to hit three mobs.

Not to mention SDK with 5+ levels of dragonlord will just stun everything and then chain them for 0 risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBZ

Wizard

Yeah I tried ranged AOE out, and all of them have too low damage and much to small radius to make enough of a difference. Especially hard to hit mobs with ranged AOE with the lag and desync / mob hitching going on.

Only elemental inferno felt good, good damge and bigger AOE. But it costs way too many SP to use often in heroics before you have more SP options. And I don't want to level a char 1-20 or even 15-20 without good AOE.

In the end ranged is still not for me, especially with the desync / shots not hitting also still applying for single target...

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
Ranged is supposed to be single target. Players complained, they added AOE. Now players are complaining the AOE radius is too small and want it bigger. What's next? Devs: Please make Ranged AOE the size of the whole room and make the damage auto crit so we can clear the room with one shot and move on. Solid proof players are greedy and just want more no matter what the game does.

EinarMal

Ranged is supposed to be single target. Players complained, they added AOE. Now players are complaining the AOE radius is too small and want it bigger. What's next? Devs: Please make Ranged AOE the size of the whole room and make the damage auto crit so we can clear the room with one shot and move on. Solid proof players are greedy and just want more no matter what the game does.

This is actually false. I did not see a ton of complaints other than IPS should not be -20%.

The killed hunt's end for AOE, and its pretty lackluster.

Terpilar

The new ranged AoE attacks work wonders on my Rog16/F4 Inquisitive build, very smooth play once you get the hang of it. Sneaking up on packs, opening with Pin, I can get 5-6 of them.

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
This is actually false. I did not see a ton of complaints other than IPS should not be -20%.

The killed hunt's end for AOE, and its pretty lackluster.
Did YOU not read what YOU posted? This whole thread is about AOE being too small. So actually this is TRUE. LOL

• Haha

Wizard

The issue is the semi single player gameplay today and too many big mob packs in quests.

Why play ranged if casters and 2handed melee (& chain SDK) can clear mob packs, which are the majority of fights in quests, much easier?

Now if we had the game mechanics changed to make grouping easier and more rewarding or had actually functioning hirelings (including AOE dps), being mostly single target wouldn't matter at all.

woq

Did YOU not read what YOU posted? This whole thread is about AOE being too small. So actually this is TRUE. LOL
His point was that not everyone wanted ranged to get insane AoE or sweeping reworks; it was mostly dissatisfaction with IPS. Instead of fixing IPS, they completely changed Hunt's End for the weaker and gave a lackluster form of AoE in return. It's completely within reason to expect the AoE to at least be good if Rangeds supposed single target speciality as you put it earlier was taken behind the sauna to be clobbered beyond recognition.

Are you actually reading anything he says? Anyway, stop derailing the topic please. Agree or disagree, no need to attribute the entire playerbase as some greedy homogenous monoentity. That is not the case, as you yourself have proven.

EinarMal

His point was that not everyone wanted ranged to get insane AoE or sweeping reworks; it was mostly dissatisfaction with IPS. Instead of fixing IPS, they completely changed Hunt's End for the weaker and gave a lackluster form of AoE in return. It's completely within reason to expect the AoE to at least be good if Rangeds supposed single target speciality as you put it earlier was taken behind the sauna to be clobbered beyond recognition.

Are you actually reading anything he says? Anyway, stop derailing the topic please. Agree or disagree, no need to attribute the entire playerbase as some greedy homogenous monoentity. That is not the case, as you yourself have proven.
Exactly, if indeed ranged was supposed to be single target they would not have changed hunt's end and given this very lackluster AOE ability.

If they are going to take away single target DPS, then the AOE should at least be usable beyond hitting 2-3 mobs.

EinarMal

The issue is the semi single player gameplay today and too many big mob packs in quests.

Why play ranged if casters and 2handed melee (& chain SDK) can clear mob packs, which are the majority of fights in quests, much easier?

Now if we had the game mechanics changed to make grouping easier and more rewarding or had actually functioning hirelings (including AOE dps), being mostly single target wouldn't matter at all.

Also abilities like whirlwind attack, dance of death etc... if SWF/TWF have usable AOE then ranged should. Especially with the huge nerf to single target DPS for ranged.

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter

"
I am trying out new ranged AOE attacks. It feels like the radius is about like swinging a two-hander with strikethrough?

Is this WAI?

I feel like the radius needs to be at least doubled. It is missing mobs that seem right next to the target."

Where in this does he mention IPS? Where in this does he state anything about Hunt's End? So are you actually reading anything he says? Plain simple english right there and not a single IPS, Hunt's End mentioned. Maybe go back and read what was written.

• Haha

Elfishski

Currently playing a ranged character, and I'd say the AOE attacks are extremely powerful as is without any buffs to the fairly small radius (in all the content with clumped up mobs standing around waiting to be shot, which is too much of it). I miss the active play of trying to line things up with IPS to get the same impact.

AOE attacks are good solo, but far more powerful if you group with a melee that can take aggro and clump things up for you. That seems fine.

• Haha

Weaponalpha

I am trying out new ranged AOE attacks. It feels like the radius is about like swinging a two-hander with strikethrough?

Is this WAI?

I feel like the radius needs to be at least doubled. It is missing mobs that seem right next to the target.
This is 100% WAI. Why on earth would they want ranged to be able to do the same damage to the same amount of mobs as melee in a single attack? Make that make sense. Ranged have 0 risk for much of the time unless against ranged or caster mobs and even then if you have your settings adjusted you can target them long long long before they can target you. You can kill a single mob and every mob next to them just sits there until it is their turn to be murdered from your safe spot. I am currently leveling as a WF 2 rog rest arti nothing special build and the damage i am doing is quite nice. What is your build and what rune arm and xbow are you using?

EinarMal

This is 100% WAI. Why on earth would they want ranged to be able to do the same damage to the same amount of mobs as melee in a single attack? Make that make sense. Ranged have 0 risk for much of the time unless against ranged or caster mobs and even then if you have your settings adjusted you can target them long long long before they can target you. You can kill a single mob and every mob next to them just sits there until it is their turn to be murdered from your safe spot. I am currently leveling as a WF 2 rog rest arti nothing special build and the damage i am doing is quite nice. What is your build and what rune arm and xbow are you using?

I mean some quests sure, if you run Stormcleave or something, I would say there are more confined quests than wide-open quests in most later content. They also started making it where you have to run up on mobs to target them.

I am running an artificer repeater (I don't need build advice lol...). Its not a question of damage, its whether a mob takes any damage at all.

Its very hit or miss (literally), about the only way I can clear entire packs solo, is to face tank them all on top of me jump up and shoot down on top of them.

From a distance when shooting flat into a pack, its very random on whether I take out 5 mobs or hit 2 from what I can tell.

Weaponalpha

You asked if the radius, which you compared to melee strike through, is WAI. Yes, it is a small AOE that is WAI. The misfires are seperate issue which have been around for ages and are a known bug. Ranged is still super easy to level and arguably easier now with AOE. You solved your own issue with "...about the only way I can clear entire packs solo, is to face tank them all on top of me jump up and shoot down on top of them." I too am running and Arti repeater and it is mowing down mobs with misfires here and there.

Pano

I am confused...
Ranged is usually in the save distance away from mobs, so to make it balanced with melee, we should give ranged AoE that is bigger then melee? I don!t want to mock you, I am just really curious if you really thing this would be good for the game.