Pirate Penzant

Metagation

Not really a deep cut, and I'd say that's definitely the reference
Really? You think it goes Eminem, Arianna, Arthur Sullivan in peoples listening libraries? It's a deep cut if I ever saw one. Maybe like a handful of people will get the reference.

droid327

Really? You think it goes Eminem, Arianna, Arthur Sullivan in peoples listening libraries? It's a deep cut if I ever saw one. Maybe like a handful of people will get the reference.
I think you're underestimating how much G&S still has influence in some cultural circles

I also think more people who play DDO could name 3 G&S operettas than 3 Arianna Grande songs lol

Talzor

I also think more people who play DDO could name 3 G&S operettas than 3 Arianna Grande songs lol
HMS Pinafore, The Sorcerer, The Mikado. I recognize Arianna Grande as the name of a singer, but couldn't tell you a song.
Glibness aside, I think I would take that bet. DDO's audience is quite old and I think it more likely that they would be familiar with an a pillar of British culture than a singer that may not have been popular/active during their formative years.

Metagation

I think you're underestimating how much G&S still has influence in some cultural circles

You might have the right of it with the DDO crowd and if so, I am excited to group with them. I am new to the game and therefore the audience so I will take your word for it. It's really cool that they are creating new content too. I was shocked to hear they'd be starting preorders on a new expansion in June (If I read the notice right). I, also, meant no offense just to cover my bases. :)

Metagation

I would not take that bet...Then again, I did memorize Modern Major General years ago :)
It'd be nice if more people listened to more opera but my experience, outside DDO, is that they do not. I would say that Pirates of Penzance in opera settings may be like recommending Deathnote in anime circles but opera, statistically, was in decline for quite awhile. If you can't rock out to MMG in your car then I don't want to meet you lol.

Metagation

I think he's also underestimating the age of the average DDO player.
You're absolutely right. Good to see my own people in DDO. I mean, if it is based on 3.5 (the time that I DMed wayyyy back in the day). It may be why the creators used the reference as they felt the audience of DDO would get it and the ones that didn't well, it didn't matter because it's a cool name for a pirate.

Metagation

HMS Pinafore, The Sorcerer, The Mikado. I recognize Arianna Grande as the name of a singer, but couldn't tell you a song.
Glibness aside, I think I would take that bet. DDO's audience is quite old and I think it more likely that they would be familiar with an a pillar of British culture than a singer that may not have been popular/active during their formative years.
Makes me hopeful for the ability to group with people in DDO. Take my responses as more of the culture shock to being new to DDO. It's a far cry from little 12 year old Timmy playing World of Warcraft squeaking in my ear while I'm trying to learn raid mechanics. I'm dangerously close to saying: "Back in my day" so I'll say good day lol.

Talzor

Makes me hopeful for the ability to group with people in DDO. Take my responses as more of the culture shock to being new to DDO. It's a far cry from little 12 year old Timmy playing World of Warcraft squeaking in my ear while I'm trying to learn raid mechanics. I'm dangerously close to saying: "Back in my day" so I'll say good day lol.
I was being a little cheeky, so I hope it was taken in that spirit :) In my experience the people I've meet in DDO are great. (The ones in game tend to be more laid back than the ones on the forum :p)
You did get me thinking slightly, with this line "I would say that Pirates of Penzance in opera settings may be like recommending Deathnote in anime circles but opera, statistically, was in decline for quite awhile.". I definitely think you're right here. I think that one of the reasons G&S might have survived better than most Opera is that it's not actually Opera but Operetta, which is closer/more akin to a Musical (Which is both newer genre-wise and still enjoys great popularity)

Metagation

I was being a little cheeky, so I hope it was taken in that spirit :) In my experience the people I've meet in DDO are great. (The ones in game tend to be more laid back than the ones on the forum :p)
You did get me thinking slightly, with this line "I would say that Pirates of Penzance in opera settings may be like recommending Deathnote in anime circles but opera, statistically, was in decline for quite awhile.". I definitely think you're right here. I think that one of the reasons G&S might have survived better than most Opera is that it's not actually Opera but Operetta, which is closer/more akin to a Musical (Which is both newer genre-wise and still enjoys great popularity)
I remember seeing it on TV and was interested in it so I went to Barnes and Nobles and found the CD. I also discovered RENT at that time. I'd say I am still in the intro stage of opera or Operetta so I am, in no way, an expert. My mom got me into old movies Like Hello Dolly and Mary Poppins so I was young when I remember enjoying these.

Enir

I enjoy all the references and puns throughout DDO. I laughed as I found Templeton, the rat from 'Charlotte's Web'. I had to kick in the Van Halen soundtrack for 'Runnin' with the devils'. And my eyes popped out when I saw that I was fighting various 'dread pirates'.
Keep it up, DDO team!