Ranged AOE too small of a radius

EinarMal

You asked if the radius, which you compared to melee strike through, is WAI. Yes, it is a small AOE that is WAI. The misfires are seperate issue which have been around for ages and are a known bug. Ranged is still super easy to level and arguably easier now with AOE. You solved your own issue with "...about the only way I can clear entire packs solo, is to face tank them all on top of me jump up and shoot down on top of them." I too am running and Arti repeater and it is mowing down mobs with misfires here and there.

I suggested in the suggestion forum they double the radius, which is too small currently. All builds are super easy to level on R1, outside of maybe some tank build or thrower.

EinarMal

I am confused...
Ranged is usually in the save distance away from mobs, so to make it balanced with melee, we should give ranged AoE that is bigger then melee? I don!t want to mock you, I am just really curious if you really thing this would be good for the game.

Not sure if you have tried the new ranged AOE, yes I am suggesting its too small and should be increased by at least 50% if not doubled.

As far as melee survivability, that would be a new suggestion if you are concerned. I just ran 3x Dragonlord lives and did not have any issues, I also now see very few deaths in general in R10's melee included.

Its good for the game when an AOE ability actually hits a mob standing literally right next to the mob you targeted and it does not work. This happens often right now.

Pano

Not sure if you have tried the new ranged AOE, yes I am suggesting its too small and should be increased by at least 50% if not doubled.

As far as melee survivability, that would be a new suggestion if you are concerned. I just ran 3x Dragonlord lives and did not have any issues, I also now see very few deaths in general in R10's melee included.

Its good for the game when an AOE ability actually hits a mob standing literally right next to the mob you targeted and it does not work. This happens often right now.
Thanks for an insight in your reasoning. I still think the ranged would be way too OP that way and I will not support this idea, though.

woq

I guess if it is too OP for ranged to hit multiple monsters with an AoE ability then maybe it never should have been made AoE in the first place?

It's hard to deem it WAI when monsters next to eachother are not getting hit with a supposedly AoE (Area of Effect) ability. Feels like a flopped rework if that is the case.

Weaponalpha

I guess if it is too OP for ranged to hit multiple monsters with an AoE ability then maybe it never should have been made AoE in the first place?

It's hard to deem it WAI when monsters next to eachother are not getting hit with a supposedly AoE (Area of Effect) ability. Feels like a flopped rework if that is the case.
Those are seperate issues. The AoE is WAI. The fact that ranged attacks completely miss targets or misfire is a bug. The AoE attacks misfire as the normal attacks do this has nothing to do with the size of the area.

Weaponalpha

I suggested in the suggestion forum they double the radius, which is too small currently. All builds are super easy to level on R1, outside of maybe some tank build or thrower.
I responded to your OP that it is WAI. The misfires are still a seperate issue. Then disagreed with them needing to double the AoE since that is ridiculous as ranged have big enough advantage by being able to attack and not get hit.

EinarMal

I responded to your OP that it is WAI. The misfires are still a seperate issue. Then disagreed with them needing to double the AoE since that is ridiculous as ranged have big enough advantage by being able to attack and not get hit.
I am not talking about misfires which are also an issue. The radius is so small that it will miss mobs that visually are close to one another. Agree to disagree that it is not too small.

Kritikal

Here we go again.

One of 2 things should happen with ranged attacks.

1. Keep the 2.5 AOE radius and REMOVE the IPS -20 penalty.

or

2. Keep the IPS -20 penalty and change to 2.5 AOE radius to 3.5 or 4.0.

The current 2.5 AOE implementation does work when mobs are in melee range to the archer. Then it acts just like Strikethrough. At this point, though, melee has more survivability.

Just my 2cps.

RangerOne

I am thoroughly enjoying the Elemental Essence AOE. Kinda makes up for the crushing disappointment of 2009 when I realized that the old Exploding Arrow was nothing of the sort, just fire damage. The 5 SP cost is so low I can spam it, Manshot and Death from Above in rotation. As to the area of effect, well, not going to bash it. Sure, it would be nice to clear half of the Barovian Wilderness in a single shot but hardly necessary of realistic. How about other types of AOE shots? Like a chain shot that bounces around like a warlock's blast.

Fisto Mk I

I am confused...
Ranged is usually in the save distance away from mobs, so to make it balanced with melee, we should give ranged AoE that is bigger then melee? I don!t want to mock you, I am just really curious if you really thing this would be good for the game.
If it's good for reality, why it's must be bad for game? MLRS and thermonuclear nukes ruled in the our humble mundane world, and close combat mean shotguns and uzi'es, not swords and daggers. Why, you think?
lE2E7Ff.png

EinarMal

If it's good for reality, why it's must be bad for game? MLRS and thermonuclear nukes ruled in the our humble mundane world, and close combat mean shotguns and uzi'es, not swords and daggers. Why, you think?
lE2E7Ff.png
I am not trying to make anything super OP. However, I can say I have hit a mob with “AOE” using the current radius, at least on screen it sometimes misses a mob that is standing within arms length of each other. Maybe it’s poorly implemented or buggy. I do not mean misfire. It will hit the target and not affect a mob that is no more than arms length away sometimes.

It seems to work best if you corral them all up stand in the middle and shoot down at the pack. Which is certainly counter to all the claims ranged is safer.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
I will have to disagree with this suggestion on a few fronts:

The issue of it not really connecting with targets in the AOE when it should do, is related to a deeper issue in DDO with regards to moving targets and whether they are in an AOE calculation on triggering (when the projectile connects to the initial target for the AOE).

Adjusting the AOE will increase the impact radius and connect with more moving targets from the intitial target. However, this will also have the unintended effect of making more stationary targets becoming impacted by a much larger radius as well. Meaning "held" targets, which are common, will suddenly become ALL targets, not just a partial amount of them which the current AOE size already permits.

Users experiencing issues with hitting mobile groups of enemies, should attempt to target the enemy at the front of group. By the time the projectile reaches them, it will calculate the AOE and enemies will still be moving through that area of effect and be affected. If however, you just target anyone in a group that is mobile, then this becomes pot luck, as enemies could move in and out of the AOE easily.

J1NG

Kimbere

Ranged is supposed to be single target. Players complained, they added AOE. Now players are complaining the AOE radius is too small and want it bigger. What's next? Devs: Please make Ranged AOE the size of the whole room and make the damage auto crit so we can clear the room with one shot and move on. Solid proof players are greedy and just want more no matter what the game does.
This is a strawman. An old, tired strawman at that. Try to address the actual point.

It doesn't do much good for SSG to add "AoE" for ranged DPS if the AoE radius is so small that you can't realistically hit more than 1-2 mobs at a time does it?

Kimbere

The issue of it not really connecting with targets in the AOE when it should do, is related to a deeper issue in DDO with regards to moving targets and whether they are in an AOE calculation on triggering (when the projectile connects to the initial target for the AOE).
Yep. This is an issue that affects any/all AoE effects currently.

I'm on a Stormsinger for PLs at the moment and the cone spells randomly miss mobs in the middle of a pack while mobs on both sides of it get hit. This happens on Shout, Greater Shout, Horn of Thunder, Greater Color Spray, etc. Sometimes it's a mob on the edge that still should have been in range, sometimes it's mobs in the front, back, etc.

Before the Stormsinger, I did 3 dragon lord PLs and had the exact same targetting/hit-registration problems with the Roar. I noticed similar targetting problems with Dire Charge, etc. on many PLs in the past few months.

Weaponalpha

The current AoE ranged attacks hit many more than 1-2 mobs consistantly. Yes, it sometimes bugs and hits only 1. Or none but rarely. I am currently running an Arti repeater and the DPS is great dispite the MISFIRES. They are misfires as in you fire and they do not function as intended. With IPS you need to line them up to maximize effectiveness. With AoE you need to gather them up. It's pretty simple and super easy. If people want big AoE play a nuker not a ranged toon. Ranged has been and continues to be super easy and fun to play.

Drunken.dx

The current AoE ranged attacks hit many more than 1-2 mobs consistantly. Yes, it sometimes bugs and hits only 1. Or none but rarely. I am currently running an Arti repeater and the DPS is great dispite the MISFIRES. They are misfires as in you fire and they do not function as intended. With IPS you need to line them up to maximize effectiveness. With AoE you need to gather them up. It's pretty simple and super easy. If people want big AoE play a nuker not a ranged toon. Ranged has been and continues to be super easy and fun to play.
Now try playing bow with those misfires and you'll change your tune.

Weaponalpha

Now try playing bow with those misfires and you'll change your tune.
I am only talking about OP and it is about Arti repeater AoE. No where did I ever mention bows since that has nothing to do with Arti AoE attacks. But...since you brought it up... i ran elf aa pally using para and kotc and horizon walker within the last 5 lives and it was cake walk. misfires included.

Drunken.dx

I am only talking about OP and it is about Arti repeater AoE. No where did I ever mention bows since that has nothing to do with Arti AoE attacks. But...since you brought it up... i ran elf aa pally using para and kotc and horizon walker within the last 5 lives and it was cake walk. misfires included.
WOOOOSH

DDO Noob

Those are seperate issues. The AoE is WAI. The fact that ranged attacks completely miss targets or misfire is a bug. The AoE attacks misfire as the normal attacks do this has nothing to do with the size of the area.
Are they separate issues though? I guess it depends. Did SSG take into account the bug when they set the AOE radius to 2.5? If not, then perhaps the radius should be increased slightly to 3. The problem with the bug is that SSG will most likely take years or never to fix it. So the easier solution would be to just slightly increase the radius to compensate and make it more balanced if it's even needed as I'm not sure that would make it too powerful.