Year of the Dragon NPC Temporarily Disabled

Maxxus Thull

My only gripe about this whole currate your xpac deal is the fact that anyone that had all the xpac's before this are getting screwed. A 60 minute potion... COME ON! Who ever thought this one up, did not think about it very much. The people that have all the expansion packs, most of them probably threw money at you guys. But here you are giving all xpac's(almost all, I know no vecna) as a choice for free. Please, someone at SSG tell me how this 60 minute potion is even remotely close to the same reward?

You are giving an Xpac valued at 3995 DDO points for FREE, I am pretty sure the value of that potion is no where near 3995 ddo pts.

This potion is going to sit on a bank toon, most likely for the rest of its days.

Last edited:

DDO Gaming

Then I assume you own dread and other expansions as they're all available for points (if you're VIP then any adventure packs you don't own wouldn't show but expansions are separate).
it wouldn;t kill the devs to provide a list of adventure packs I own irrespective of VIP

Cordovan

Community Manager
This was in the release notes, but just to put it here for Staff Tracker reasons, Xatheral has been re-enabled.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
8oosr5.gif

Shardrena

I have a suggestion for SSG: in future instead of simply handing out freebie adventurepacks only to see a more aggressive gaming audience demand ever more freebies...why not create NPCs offering challenge tokens (similar to cannith) to new packs that aren;t available in VIP? That way gamers determined to "try before we buy" can at least try the new adventure pack using a challenge token before making any committment.

As always additional challenge tokens can be purchased from the DDO Store

I can see a couple problem with this idea. That problem? VIP already gets access to all adventure packs. They don't need the temporary access pass items to get into any adventure pack quest. It's the expansions that VIP doesn't automatically get access to. And the Challenge Tokens are only usable for the one off scalable difficulty challenges, of which the only ones I'm aware of are from the Canith stuff and from Menace of the Underdark, which requires you to be able to access the Expansion's hub area anyway. So who is this idea suppose to benefit?

So... what you're suggesting is to create a new item, give it a confusing name due to sharing it's name with an already existing item, and give it only to the people who would have zero use for it? Or are you suggesting giving the already existing challenge tokens to VIP (who I think already get daily grants of them), and then telling the VIP they can use those tokens for something they aren't needed to do?

Abbracadaver

Not that you'll actually do anything about it, but I still can't claim the potion. Dragon tells me I already talked to him, and the NPC doesn't give me the potion as an option. So before I was getting a clearly inferior prize compared to the xpacs, and now I'm not getting anything. You guys are great.

Shardrena

It might actually be impossible for the DDO store to tell which packs you "own" vs which ones are granted by a VIP subscription. From the store's perspective, you have access to Adventure Pack X, thus it is told "don't show that adventure pack to the player". I doubt it's tracking why you have access to an adventure pack, just that your account is flagged as having access.

DDO Gaming

I can see a couple problem with this idea. That problem? VIP already gets access to all adventure packs. They don't need the temporary access pass items to get into any adventure pack quest. It's the expansions that VIP doesn't automatically get access to. And the Challenge Tokens are only usable for the one off scalable difficulty challenges, of which the only ones I'm aware of are from the Canith stuff and from Menace of the Underdark, which requires you to be able to access the Expansion's hub area anyway. So who is this idea suppose to benefit?

So... what you're suggesting is to create a new item, give it a confusing name due to sharing it's name with an already existing item, and give it only to the people who would have zero use for it? Or are you suggesting giving the already existing challenge tokens to VIP (who I think already get daily grants of them), and then telling the VIP they can use those tokens for something they aren't needed to do?
I'm pretty sure VIPs get unlimited access to all challenge adventures in cannith, so this would work the same. Thus only non-VIPs and access to adventure packs not accessible to VIP would benefit

Shardrena

Thus only non-VIPs and access to adventure packs not accessible to VIP would benefit

Which again, there are zero adventure packs not available to VIP. Expansions are not adventure packs, they are paid expansions. Everyone has to buy content from an expansion, and I do mean everyone. There are no automatic expansion content grants just because you are VIP. As such, there is literally no point in giving VIP a token that lets them "try an adventure pack they don't have before they buy it". They already have all the adventure packs available. And when new adventure packs get added, VIP automatically gets access to them. Let's go over the salient points one at a time.

1. Your idea would give the proposed token only to VIP
2. Your proposed token would apply to Adventure Packs a VIP member doesn't have access to
3. VIP already gives access to every single adventure pack, as well as any adventure pack that gets added.
4. Your name for the proposed token would confuse people due to being the same as a different token (which you seem to misunderstand the purpose of to some extent)

So, who would possibly benefit from your idea? I ask because I really want to know who you think would benefit from getting the proposed token.

Remember, the "Curate your X-pack" gift doesn't let you select (for example) Necropolis 1 because Necropolis 1 is not an expansion. It was never an expansion. It's just a self contained story arc consisting of 5 or 6 quests with a new hub area for the Necropolis chain of story arcs. When Necropolis 1 was added, it wasn't something players had to buy separately, it was just added to the game. It was only when the DDO store front was added (when the game went F2P) that split it off as an "adventure pack". In fact, that's exactly what adventure packs are. They are parts of the game's content that got put behind a pay wall if you're not paying a monthly subscription. And they include content the game shipped with at launch, such as Seal of Shin-To-Kor, Catacombs, Delaria's Tomb, and others. Your proposed token would basically be you saying that a paid subscription should no longer be getting access to all those quests the token covers due to being a paying subscriber, but instead they should be locked behind a pay wall while you're subscribing. And if that's the case, what would be the point of paying for a monthly subscription?

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
In the store click on your username a drop menu appears pick history option and see all you got from the store, if you got an expansion from the DDO Market those don't always show up and the store even once let me buy Ravenloft even though I owned the Ultimate Fan Bundle from the DDO Market. Thank God it was during the 99 point sale and I wasn't shafted too hard on my points but SSG still never gave me back the 99 points spent. Also you can search expansions and it should show the ones you don't own, but again if bought from DDO Market, they may still show up as available for purchase and WILL take your points as I mentioned happened to me over Ravenloft.

Shardrena

My thought is... if you keep the "teleport to the expansion" items, then you always can tell which expansions you bought from DDO Market. At least, if you bought more then the standard version.

EDIT:
As an alternate test for "do I have this expansion"... try to enter one of the expansion's quests. Maybe even the hub/explorer area for the expansion. If it lets you enter, you have the expansion. If not, you don't.

Last edited:

DDO Gaming

Which again, there are zero adventure packs not available to VIP. Expansions are not adventure packs, they are paid expansions.
I think you are being deliberately obtuse. Gaming content Ok? Let's drop the entire "adventure pack V expansion" debate by using the term "gaming content".

So gaming content not normally available to VIPs could become available with challenge tokens etc etc

DDO Gaming

My thought is... if you keep the "teleport to the expansion" items, then you always can tell which expansions you bought from DDO Market. At least, if you bought more then the standard version.

EDIT:
As an alternate test for "do I have this expansion"... try to enter one of the expansion's quests. Maybe even the hub/explorer area for the expansion. If it lets you enter, you have the expansion. If not, you don't.
There are lots of xyz nonsense a gamer can try to determine which gaming content they possess. Or the devs can simply provide a tab in the options menu. It won;t kill them

Shardrena

Except they are classified as Adventure Pack or Expansion by the devs, and the game. Game Content includes everything, including races, classes, items, and everything else. With expansions, you can't even reach the dungeons (or quest giving NPCs) without access to that expansion's hub area, which is part of the expansion. Adventure packs, you can always pick up the quest for them, even if you don't actually have access to the adventure pack.

There are lots of xyz nonsense a gamer can try to determine which gaming content they possess. Or the devs can simply provide a tab in the options menu. It won;t kill them

Do you mean for example how if you go into the DDO store and look at adventure packs, it filters out any that you already own? Or how if while in the store you select the drop down in the top left corner of the window, the one with your account name in it, you can check your Transaction History? Wait, you didn't realize you can see what you've bought that way? There are already menu options to see what you've bought. And you are right, it didn't kill the devs to add them. Nor will it kill you to use them. :)