Thanks for Nothing SSG

Sheikra

It's crazy to think that class(es)/races that were previously purchased before u53 were given elixir(s) of discovery per class/race but for this expansion it's a singular one.

Now, they get all of this for free versus an expansion, which expansions give a lot more than a class or a race, but I'm siding with drunken.dx.

It's unfair to provide a single potion relying on RNG as a basis for giving out an expansion that people rightfully paid for with earned money (which can be later earned in DDO store with a grind).
You could always just not redeem it and pretend it's like the free coupon code again. I don't remember getting anything at all when 80%+ of the game was given away for free (not that I mind, it's nice to have people to play with).

Yeah it's not 'fair'. Life isn't fair. It's ok though. Complaining that some people's free things are nicer than your free things, or that you didn't get enough free stuff during the free-stuff-giveaway just seems kind of entitled. You were owed nothing and got something, if you don't like it, don't use it. If nothing else, you have more people to run quests/raids with now. Hazzah!

All uses of the word 'you' are meant ubiquitously, I'm not just trying to come at you Kyrr. Just the general sentiment of the OP.

Jummby

Ran the discovery elixir from the YotD reward during the following raids and pulled exactly ZERO named items, tomes, etc.
  • Fire Over Morgrave
  • Hunt or Be Hunted
  • Legendary Vision of Destruction
  • Old Baba's Hut
Please try to do better in the future when showing appreciation for the customers have supported you by buying every expansion in the past (and generally the higher tier options at that).

There were soooo many better options for a reward that you could have chosen than a 1-hour elixir that provided absolutely no benefit in the end.

So yeah, thanks for nothing SSG.
Your snake oil pot didn't work? Who would have thought???

Also why do we all refer to tham as SSG? Didn't they cease to exist in 2022 and are now owned by Daybreak Games?

vryxnr

Also why do we all refer to tham as SSG? Didn't they cease to exist in 2022 and are now owned by Daybreak Games?
You are mistaken.

In the old days the devs worked under Turbine. When Turbine wanted to close DDO and LoTRO to focus on mobile games, the devs joined forces to create SSG and purchased the rights to keep the games alive.

Daybreak Games is the publisher who essentially owns Standing Stone Games, but SSG is still the dev team that keep these games alive.

Daybreak = Publisher
SSG = dev studio

In the same way that the devs that made Helldivers 2 are Arrowhead Game Studioes, but it is published by Sony.

Jummby

You are mistaken.

In the old days the devs worked under Turbine. When Turbine wanted to close DDO and LoTRO to focus on mobile games, the devs joined forces to create SSG and purchased the rights to keep the games alive.

Daybreak Games is the publisher who essentially owns Standing Stone Games, but SSG is still the dev team that keep these games alive.

Daybreak = Publisher
SSG = dev studio
Is it? Is that why the SSG site says 2017-2022?

Ever try looking for an LLC called standing stone games?

More importantly, do you know how to even look?

vryxnr

@Jummby I have to assume it's the websites not updating properly (or the web admins missing things).
Some of the pages say 2017-2024 Standing Stone Games LLC.
Daybreak's website still includes SSG as the studio for DDO and LoTRO as well.

so yes, I know how to find that info. It's in many locations, and it's inconsistent, so I'm going to go with human error keeping it up to date in every location.

Last edited:

Kyrr

You could always just not redeem it and pretend it's like the free coupon code again. I don't remember getting anything at all when 80%+ of the game was given away for free (not that I mind, it's nice to have people to play with).

Yeah it's not 'fair'. Life isn't fair. It's ok though. Complaining that some people's free things are nicer than your free things, or that you didn't get enough free stuff during the free-stuff-giveaway just seems kind of entitled. You were owed nothing and got something, if you don't like it, don't use it. If nothing else, you have more people to run quests/raids with now. Hazzah!

All uses of the word 'you' are meant ubiquitously, I'm not just trying to come at you Kyrr. Just the general sentiment of the OP.
It does NOT seem entitled to ask for more. You aren't ENTITLED if you ask your spouse to show more affection because you don't feel like they are giving enough. It's not ENTITLED to ask for more when other games give exceptionally high ROI's or compensation.

This company is the worst at giving ROI's/compensation. LOTRO is treated better, they're significantly biased and shouldn't be.

Do better.

Guild Wars 2 HoT came out in 2015 and still isn't free. But Dread is came out in 2022 and is made available to acquire for free, seems "fair". please stop thinking this is okay.

Last edited:

Lazuli

The main problem with these elixirs is that they are useless because of the way they work. That's why I have a stack in the bank, waiting for the devs to change its operation to something useful. probably the devs didn't even know that these elixirs are useless, they live in their ivory tower with no practical experience of the game.

Drunken.dx

So asking for show of respect toward people who support game is "being entitled"?

I bought those expansions for my money, and all I ask from SSG is to show they appreciate it.

If you consider that "entitlement" you're a strange one, because that's called "basic courtesy towards your customers", something you can notice when you do business with someone, because in civilized world, it's expected from businesses to show basic respect toward their customers.

Sheikra

So asking for show of respect toward people who support game is "being entitled"?

I bought those expansions for my money, and all I ask from SSG is to show they appreciate it.

If you consider that "entitlement" you're a strange one, because that's called "basic courtesy towards your customers", something you can notice when you do business with someone, because in civilized world, it's expected from businesses to show basic respect toward their customers.
If all of the YotD rewards didn't exist (they didn't do the event) would you be complaining about this? I'd bet not. So you are complaining because other people get something for free, and you get a less valuable thing for free. SSG did not need to give anyone any of this for free, they owed no one anything.

Kyrr compared SSG to a significant other; but I think a more apt comparison is to that of a local store. You may go there every week to shop, but they do not owe you coupons, free things, giveaways, etc. They are looking out for their bottom line above all else. Let's say your local store runs a giveaway, but only to people in a different economic class than you (I know not everyone who doesn't own xpacks is due to income, just for the hypothetical). Will you be upset because the store does not value you as a customer, or will you be happy for the people who were not as well off, whose status has been improved?

Do not think I am a staunch defender of SSG -- I just am an opponent of the "what I am owed" mindset.

It's ok if you disagree. Feel free to tell me about it if you do; but I think I am going to stop replying after this. These fun ethical-esque discussions just get my blood pressure too high I think! Haha