UPDATE: This is the SUPER LAG everyone is so upset about that didn't seem to occur before U59

JaynChar2019

Ok for context I have a Dell Precision 7710 ( https://www.dell.com/support/manual...ed19d1-97bb-441c-b0d7-49fd9d5ed312&lang=en-us) When I 1st logged into ddo after my computer had been fully shut down and restarted I got an error message that ddo was not responding which asked me to quit or wait, then it finally logged. I was experiencing some bad lag in the common areas. My husband who sits right next to me was not experiencing these lag issues so it was not our wifi. I quit logged in again, same issue. Checked my computer not hot at all cool to the touch. Entered DOJ raid with our friends, lag was so bad it was unplayable. I quit mid raid shut off my computer for a third time and came back on. Lag was still VERY bad. this is a client server connection/server overload issue. Not my computer, vid card, memory or wifi. I stuck it out till the end of the raid and my friends had to protect me and carry me which I greatly appreciated <3 and profusely apologized for. We then went into HOX and lag was still incredibly bad and made playing incapable. This lag was as bad as the night we experienced the wipes in the HUNT raid twice and everybody got very upset and took to the forums. But I wasn't the only one in the group experiencing it at the time and was the reason why I started my threads in the first place because I had NEVER experienced lag this bad prior to the 59 update. Also the reason I started recording our raids for proof. It is also why you guys are seeing other folks commenting that others are just trying to troll by saying your build is bad and why are you even trying to raid. Our builds may not be what someone would think it should be but we have been raiding for years so we must be doing something right. After restarting my computer for a fourth time I was FINALLY able to get a stable client server connection and experienced very minimal lag in the rest of our raids. Anyways I digress here is the horrible lag I experienced last night. Trolls have at it tell me its me, my computer, wifi, memory or whatever you like. I am posting this for the devs not you. Please Devs look into client server connections and server overload.

The latency of a network connection represents the amount of time required for data to travel between the sender and receiver. While all computer networks inherently possess some form of latency, the amount varies and can suddenly increase for various reasons. People perceive these unexpected time delays as "lag."

High latency can also cause high delays. For example, your video game might experience high latency, which causes the game to freeze at times and not deliver a live update of the other players. Fewer delays mean that the connection is experiencing lower latency.

Network lag happens for a few reasons, namely distance and congestion.

In some cases, you might be able to fix internet lag by changing how your device interacts with the program.<------ After the update some people were not able to log on and we were told how to go about trying to fix this connection after the update.

Bottom line is if they don't get bigger better servers it wont matter what they do to try to "fix" lag in the game aka monster pathing, high DA to get folks to stop zerging, changes to xp calculation, changes to to hit calculations and so on. This is a massive game with a massive following. The CEO's have to spend more money on better servers or this type of lag is going to become a constant and and folks will start playing other games. For instance I started playing Dragonheir: Silent Gods recently to try to find another online game that I could play with my friends instead of DDO if the lag isn't fixed and they make raiding an impossible joke for folks that don't have reaper wings and completionist.

Oh and making the game harder for new players to play aka DA and having to kill everything in a quest to reduce server load because the CEO's don't wanna spend more money on servers than the new players are simply gonna be turned off and not spend any money and never play again.

UPDATE:
Ok so I checked my settings and they were all set correctly to try to reduce lag. Nvidia card was already selected in ddo. But I did go into Nvidia to check if it was set to my card and it was not so I changed that.

Cordovan told me try changing my graphics from DX 11 to DX 9 so I did that as well. But it didnt work and the game crashed saying I needed a higher Gx then 9, which mine is Gx12

Now I will have to keep recording to see if this Super Lag happens again, which I am fairly certain at this point it will because it is a server issue and not a my computer issue.

You have to click on the photo below to see all that I posted.

Last edited:

Falkor

That's not lag. It's time travel.

Which server are you on? Orien was really bad Monday evening (EST). Sucks bad this is happening, especially when you are trying to hang out with your husband and online friends. Can feel your frustration & hope they acknowledge it's their systems and not ours.

That game you suggested looks savvy, thanks for the suggestion. :)

rabidfox

The People's Champion
You should turn on in-game network status. (Hovering over the icon gives game latency/dropped packet info).
PsCEpzG.jpg

Should also turn on your in-game FPS counter to see what it's doing. Also try turning off audio in-game as some people have had issues with it since the openAL work.

JaynChar2019

That's not lag. It's time travel.

Which server are you on? Orien was really bad Monday evening (EST). Sucks bad this is happening, especially when you are trying to hang out with your husband and online friends. Can feel your frustration & hope they acknowledge it's their systems and not ours.

That game you suggested looks savvy, thanks for the suggestion. :)
You're right its time travel! I like that lol. We are on Sarlona. Thanks it has been super frustrating at times and sadly there are a lot of trolls on the forums saying they never have ANY problems 🤥 and its an us problem. Yeah I've leveled up to 30 already. It's pretty cool. Not as cool as DDO, but not bad.

JaynChar2019

You should turn on in-game network status. (Hovering over the icon gives game latency/dropped packet info).
PsCEpzG.jpg

Should also turn on your in-game FPS counter to see what it's doing. Also try turning off audio in-game as some people have had issues with it since the openAL work.
Thanks for the suggestion I will look into that.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
Hmmm, looking at the graphics in this video, it's pretty much using all the lowest settings for textures and other details. Unlike in your other videos where it's at least using medium on higher settings whilst on 1080P.

If I were to hazzard a guess, your crash that you described earlier may have caused DDO to use the laptops in built GPU instead of the dedicated one, and that's why you were choppy all over the place throughout this entire video (whilst using lowest settings), as the onboard GPU's from Gen 6 Intel were still typically poor in capability back then other than for video playback.

J1NG

JaynChar2019

Hmmm, looking at the graphics in this video, it's pretty much using all the lowest settings for textures and other details. Unlike in your other videos where it's at least using medium on higher settings whilst on 1080P.

If I were to hazzard a guess, your crash that you described earlier may have caused DDO to use the laptops in built GPU instead of the dedicated one, and that's why you were choppy all over the place throughout this entire video (whilst using lowest settings), as the onboard GPU's from Gen 6 Intel were still typically poor in capability back then other than for video playback.

J1NG
But I turned my computer off 3x's and restarted ddo. Don't see how that could be the cause as the lag persisted each time. Wasn't until I restarted my computer for the 4th time that it started acting normal again.

Pesh

But I turned my computer off 3x's and restarted ddo. Don't see how that could be the cause as the lag persisted each time. Wasn't until I restarted my computer for the 4th time that it started acting normal again.
sometimes the game doesnt pick up the right adapter if its set to auto (i suspect this setting can reset after a crash also)

check on the launcher options>repair tab>select display adapter and make sure its set to your main adapter, not auto detect

Buddha5440

PsCEpzG.jpg

This 100%

It's often not "LAG" but simply a bad connection to the server.

I always check my connection (WiFi looking icon if you turn on "Network status display"), if you hover over it it will show you latency and loss%) when I first log. If the latency is above 50 or so, or the loss is above 1% I quit and relog. It may take a few times but I will eventually get latency around 20-50 and loss of 0-0.2%.

You have to remember that the internet is not a straight line connection. You may go through 10's, even 100's, of servers before you get to the destination. Any one of those servers can cause what you perceive as "LAG".

JaynChar2019

sometimes the game doesnt pick up the right adapter if its set to auto (i suspect this setting can reset after a crash also)

check on the launcher options>repair tab>select display adapter and make sure its set to your main adapter, not auto detect
Thanks I'll look into that :)

Buddha5440

PsCEpzG.jpg

You can also switch to "generic software on (whatever device)" instead of the OpenAL.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
I understand. However, as @Pesh correctly listed, that in those older laptops, the switch between the dedicated and onboard GPU was usually automatic (done by software). All it takes is for something to go wrong elsewhere (from a restart/crash, etc) and it can take a while before the system recovers (from defaulting to onboard) and recognises that there's actually a fully functional dedicated GPU there as well that it should be using.

I have run DDO recently on a 1GB AMD 7750, and even that will not chop like what is seen in your video, even on high settings. Given your previous videos were in a higher quality setting, that is why I suggested if that may have caused the issue. As a laggy connection issue should not impact on your graphics at all, which in this video clearly were. And, if we guessed correctly, that it was using the onboard GPU instead of your dedicated GPU, then it will be choppy like that. It's like trying to run Crysis with a GPU from 1995. It'll work (in theory, through CPU rendering), just it'll be (a lot more choppier than in your video) choppy.

J1NG

rabidfox

The People's Champion
We practically have things down to science over on DDO discord for walking people thru issues with DDO (normally it's just dealing with new/returning players having problems). To force the game to use the correct video card, set this up in your launcher settings (launcher >options).

lTsvLFp.png

JaynChar2019

I understand. However, as @Pesh correctly listed, that in those older laptops, the switch between the dedicated and onboard GPU was usually automatic (done by software). All it takes is for something to go wrong elsewhere (from a restart/crash, etc) and it can take a while before the system recovers (from defaulting to onboard) and recognises that there's actually a fully functional dedicated GPU there as well that it should be using.

I have run DDO recently on a 1GB AMD 7750, and even that will not chop like what is seen in your video, even on high settings. Given your previous videos were in a higher quality setting, that is why I suggested if that may have caused the issue. As a laggy connection issue should not impact on your graphics at all, which in this video clearly were. And, if we guessed correctly, that it was using the onboard GPU instead of your dedicated GPU, then it will be choppy like that. It's like trying to run Crysis with a GPU from 1995. It'll work (in theory, through CPU rendering), just it'll be (a lot more choppier than in your video) choppy.

J1NG
I'll definitely check into that. But seeing as I am not the only one having this random Super Lag aka "time travel" in the group occurring to them I doubt its that but will definitely look into it. Thanks for the suggestion :)

JaynChar2019

We practically have things down to science over on DDO discord for walking people thru issues with DDO (normally it's just dealing with new/returning players having problems). To force the game to use the correct video card, set this up in your launcher settings (launcher >options).

lTsvLFp.png

Thanks for the suggestion. My husband has been playing this game since it came out and is a computer/website developer. Everything has been set accordingly but I will definitely double check it to make sure something didn't get messed up along the lines.

Kraki

You can also try forcing the OS to choose your dedicated GPU in the video driver settings. NVidia has an option in their Control Panel for example to lock the GPU on a per application basis.

In the NVidia panel the option is under 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings tab -> Select the preferred graphics processor for this program.

optimus2.jpg

JaynChar2019

You can also try forcing the OS to choose your dedicated GPU in the video driver settings. NVidia has an option in their Control Panel for example to lock the GPU on a per application basis.

In the NVidia panel the option is under 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings tab -> Select the preferred graphics processor for this program.

optimus2.jpg
Thanks I'll try this as well :)

JaynChar2019

Yeah, you're not the only one experiencing it. I've submitted tickets, and of course the reply is always 'passed to qa', meaning that it most likely is getting tossed in the trash from what I can tell.
I run on 64 bit, and I'm starting to think that might be one of the issues.
Thanks Calouscaine! I hope others will also add comments of this new super lag happening to them randomly.