Need help with lag [Resolved]

Kroull

I've been away from home for two months and returned to find that DDO now has a constant lag that makes it very hard to enjoy playing, not just for me but everyone in my household so I know it's not an issue with my computer. Additionally, I can play other MMO games just fine with no lag at all. I'm really not sure how to fix it, so I'm just looking for suggestions.

Here is a youtube video I recorded that shows what I'm dealing with:

EDIT:

The qoute below actually helped fix my problem adding it here for visibility.

If you're using the 64bit binaries , switch to the 32bit ones in the gamelauncher , but not the legacy.
This would help a bit with recurrent lag and sound problems. Check this latest thread about the subject

If you're on wifi , try to go on wire instead.

Here is a video after trying this fix.

Last edited:

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I've been away from home for two months and returned to find that DDO now has a constant lag that makes it very hard to enjoy playing, not just for me but everyone in my household so I know it's not an issue with my computer. Additionally, I can play other MMO games just fine with no lag at all. I'm really not sure how to fix it, so I'm just looking for suggestions.

That looks pretty rough. I've seen it happen in other dungeons when playing, sometimes it's worse. The treasure one in keep has a pretty nasty hang up some times, where mobs and hirelings will freeze after spawning for 5-20 sec or more. It's worse on reaper for that one. It's like the game is loading too much for the dungeon and can't keep up or something.

I wish I had a solution for the problem, but I think the devs have to figure this one out.

Last edited:

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets

If that is constant and not a sometimes situation, then we might be to adjust some settings to help.

In the Options menu, within the Graphics section there is a box for Detect Optimal Settings.

The optimal settings are rarely optimal, but see if things improve.

If they don't (or even if they do) I recommend adjusting/testing the following from with the Adv Graphics section:

- DX 10 Distant Landscape Lighting > Uncheck
- Blob Shadows > uncheck
- Video Post Effects > uncheck
- Bloom Intensity > turn it all the way to down to 0.

Those tend to be the big ones for me. Other options in the post processing can be tested as well and often can help.

Also, (still in Adv Graphics), check the Refresh Rate. If you're still having issues with it set to Auto, try changing to match your monitor's refresh rate. Don't think that's the issue, but could help. I tend to leave Sync with Refresh Rate and Triple Buffering off, but toggling those would be next steps for me.

Kroull

If that is constant and not a sometimes situation, then we might be to adjust some settings to help.

In the Options menu, within the Graphics section there is a box for Detect Optimal Settings.

If they don't (or even if they do) I recommend adjusting/testing the following from with the Adv Graphics section:

- Blob Shadows > uncheck

Those tend to be the big ones for me. Other options in the post processing can be tested as well and often can help.

Also, (still in Adv Graphics), check the Refresh Rate. If you're still having issues with it set to Auto, try changing to match your monitor's refresh rate. Don't think that's the issue, but could help. I tend to leave Sync with Refresh Rate and Triple Buffering off, but toggling those would be next steps for me.
Thanks for your suggestions, it is a constant problem, in and out of quests, I have tried adjusting some of the graphic settings you mentioned, but not all of those yet so I'll give it a shot.

Kroull

- Blob Shadows > uncheck

Gave it a try but the problem persists, thanks anyway.

Buddha5440

You mentioned that 'it's not just you but anyone in your household'... you may want to try a DNS flush (open command prompt, as administrator, and type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the "'s)) or a router restart.

Kroull

You mentioned that 'it's not just you but anyone in your household'... you may want to try a DNS flush (open command prompt, as administrator, and type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the "'s)) or a router restart.
I have done a router restart a few times but it has not fixed the issue, and I do now think it may be an issue with the router at this point as I was able to play the game with no lag when I took my laptop and played at my brother's house. While after returning home the lag continued. Though it troubles me that DDO is the only MMO having this issue while I can still play others perfectly fine.

Buddha5440

There is also a chance that you have some corrupted .dll's or such. Try SFC /scannow Or DISM. These will detect, and try to fix, any bad/corrupted files (related to Windows and/or drivers) that may be causing problems. I would recommend running the SFC operation first (as it is faster) and then the DISM after.

Buddha5440

I have done a router restart a few times but it has not fixed the issue, and I do now think it may be an issue with the router at this point as I was able to play the game with no lag when I took my laptop and played at my brother's house. While after returning home the lag continued. Though it troubles me that DDO is the only MMO having this issue while I can still play others perfectly fine.
Have you looked into a firmware update for your router, or changing the ports for DDO?

Kroull

Have you looked into a firmware update for your router, or changing the ports for DDO?
The firmware is good, and port-forward doesn't help, honestly don't think there is anything I can do on my end the game worked just fine before I left and now at my house it simply does not and I have no clue what changed to cause the problem. I've also tried a clean uninstall at this point to no help.

Eoin

Does your brother have the same internet provider? I had an issue a year or two ago were Verizon screwed up the routing in my area to DDOs servers (and probably other servers in that general area). Took them almost a week to fix.

I used a free VPN (forget which one at the moment) to work around the issue until Verizon fixed it on their end.

Last edited:

Mary

Under OPTIONS/UI I would check and enable 'show network status display' and take a look at your latency and packet loss. There are many things you can try but knowing if you're having packet loss is very helpful and knowing your latency is too -

After servers were merged, I have lags too:

Latency-1.jpg

latency-2.png

I think, the problem is on the server side, not client.

This is net stat from SWtoR:
Latency-SWto-R.png

There is only 67ms vs 158ms in DDO.

Last edited:

Kroull

From what I can tell it's something going on server side, I decided to try playing right after the server restart today and the game is running way better than it was before.

PaleFox

- Blob Shadows > uncheck

Turn off triple buffering as that is the big culprit for me.
Stupid thing is, DDO says it does not need that much for hardware specs:
"256 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600 or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better" is what is listed for high textures.

I have a Geforce 1060 with 2GB vram which should be total overkill for DDO and yet totally isn't.

Another is forcing you to play in full screen without the windowed mode.

PaleFox

As far as sharing your network goes with the rest of the household... yeah that sucks.
If you are on WIFI select a different lane for your router as you might have conflicts with your neighbor.

It could just be that everybody and their grandmother is streaming the latest sizzle from HBOMax, Netflix and Amazon Prime at the same time.

If that is the case, a dedicated glasfiber line to your house just for you to play DDO is the solution.

Col Kurtz

- Blob Shadows > uncheck

these are def some big culprits

Also> there is a thread in discord about "optimal graphic card settings" (or something like that).... Many MMO players overlook their graphic card settings and I found distinct improvement after adjusting mine to the settings posted in the discord thread.
*Maybe someone can find that thread and sticky it to the appropriate forum secti0n