Flying Mounts, e.g. the pegasus, griffon, hippogriff, or even young dragons

ACJ97F

You'll never see Fly in DDO unless they decide to drop 50-200 Million bucks and make "DDO2: We're Totally Not Warcraft".
The game engine isn't coded for it, and was a testing nightmare. You'd effectively need to recreate the game from scratch.

Ground-style drakes? Yeah, I could see that happening.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Levitate, the Enlightened Spirit stuff, etc, isn't Levitate, which is Up and Down, not floating along the ground as such.

Last edited:

Ying

5000+ hours played
It's not levitate, you know... You still trigger traps with ES:CS or PM: Shroud of the Wright and you cannot levitate over water in any form. ;)
I know it's not levitate. My point is that there's something close to it in game, such that zones have been designed with it in mind. BTW, those forms do allow you to avoid bear traps.

Arimov

Fly isn't going to happen. Aside from Reaver's Refuge, quests, wilderness and public spaces were not designed for Fly. SSG would have to redesign too many of the 444 quests, and that's just not going to happen from the sheer volume of it.

Levitate could happen. It's already in the game, like the Enlightened Spirit: Celestial Spirit and Shadowdancer: Greater Shadowform.

It would be weird seeing a mount with wings that couldn't fly. Sev did state that they were considering adding a flying carpet, but it would be ground-bound (essentially a levitate effect).
The suggestion is only for mounts outside of quests. You need to read the entire thread, and read it more carefully. It is only regarding the skin of the toon/NPC/mount, whatnot. It is no different than what already exists. Griffons are already tied to the map. A flying mount would be the same.

Arimov

You'll never see Fly in DDO unless they decide to drop 50-200 Million bucks and make "DDO2: We're Totally Not Warcraft".
The game engine isn't coded for it, and was a testing nightmare. You'd effectively need to recreate the game from scratch.

Ground-style drakes? Yeah, I could see that happening.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Levitate, the Enlightened Spirit stuff, etc, isn't Levitate, which is Up and Down, not floating along the ground as such.
The suggestion is only for mounts outside of quests. You need to read the entire thread, and read it more carefully. It is only regarding the skin of the toon/NPC/mount, whatnot. It is no different than what already exists. Griffons are already tied to the map. A flying mount would be the same.

Aelonwy

While I would like the appearance of some "flying" mounts, I understand they wouldn't be allowed to really fly. Obviously they'd only be in Public areas, and they could easily tie them to only "fly" at a certain height perhaps no more than 3 meters above the surface. We will never have true flying like in WoW but I could see such cosmetic mounts eventually.

The added subtle benefit to having the cosmetic bones of such done is that if they ever want to create a quest that includes flying to a hidden entrance or catching a flying creature to get across a broken bridge or other dangerous ground then they will have that option to include it in a limited way/limited space situation.

WargamerIV

Actually right now the Devs (or at least Cord) can fly around the Marketplace and at least some other public places.
Since there are some quests (the first part of Von3 comes to mind) where you can currently ride mounts and given that flying mounts would break this quest as well as many wilderness areas that makes them a bad idea.

G.W.

It requires significant reworking of the art because stuff that you were never meant to see must now be drawn.
You can see this now when you have a pear-shaped teleport. The Marketplace is surrounded by empty barren land, with no sign of the rest of Stormreach.

ACJ97F

You can see this now when you have a pear-shaped teleport. The Marketplace is surrounded by empty barren land, with no sign of the rest of Stormreach.

Yup. That's also why you can't featherfall out of the "fall corridor" during that, until you get just over the bridge. No graphic support.

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
As a cosmetic I am totally for flying mounts. We have familiars in the Feydark tree flying around us, make it the same for flying mounts. Don't allow you to go anywhere a normal mount couldn't go. Just a cosmetic flying just above the ground.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Fly isn't going to happen. Aside from Reaver's Refuge, quests, wilderness and public spaces were not designed for Fly. SSG would have to redesign too many of the 444 quests, and that's just not going to happen from the sheer volume of it.

Levitate could happen. It's already in the game, like the Enlightened Spirit: Celestial Spirit and Shadowdancer: Greater Shadowform.

It would be weird seeing a mount with wings that couldn't fly. Sev did state that they were considering adding a flying carpet, but it would be ground-bound (essentially a levitate effect).
🙄 So, pretty much just a carpet then...

Maybe a rug, at a push?

I suppose that could be the first step to player housing! 😂

Arimov

It seems that we will be receiving, at least ground bound, dragon mounts by the end of May. Quelle surprise!

vryxnr

It seems that we will be receiving, at least ground bound, dragon mounts by the end of May. Quelle surprise!
Yup... but as mentioned, grounded (not even hovering a few pixels off the ground I guess). Our characters are just to gosh darn fat! Even the Halflings and gnomes!

Blerkington

As far as flying (or bouncing/floating) mounts go, I'd like to see a flying carpet, a space hopper and a pogo stick added. Put a lot more mounts in the store and as occasional unbound drops so they can be sold for AS too, then just wait for the money to roll in.