Flying Mounts, e.g. the pegasus, griffon, hippogriff, or even young dragons

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
There actually is a flying spell sort of thing in game, in the storm reaver's area. Pretty sure we asked for it to become a standard spell once, but there was some issue with it being used in other places. Probably because it's not an open world and wouldn't be super useful other than navigating explorer areas.

The Narc

I would like to see flying mounts introduced, e.g. pegasus, griffon, hippogriff, or even young dragons. The devs could use bones to tie them to the map, like the pseudodragons, griffons in the Stormhorns, and the flying disks in Just Business.
This is about the only thing left of value that could be added to a hardcore season as a worthwhile cosmetic.

The true value being flying over all the mobs with no danger alert in wilderness areas a win win for the game as it would inevitably reduce game lag.

I mean they could actually get rid of all the scaling in encounter areas as well(this probably causes lots of lag too). Obviously the devs were tricked into implementing this for the end game rodents that want to power back slayer and xp pots to level fast. Lol maybe they werent tricked maybe it is a cash cow.

Hipparan

I can see a lot of issues with having flying mounts that aren't just cosmetically flying, but dragon mounts would be sweet. I'm thinking even just a non-flying guard drake or something like that would be cool.

Arimov

If it is useless, then why do the devs continue to create custom mounts? I am suggesting just cosmetic mounts, not mounts having any power in quest zones. Anything that generates more capital for the game owner and devs is a good suggestion. Also, anything that improves content for players is a good suggestion. If players want to see it, then devs should consider it.

Dude

I vote no. Flying mounts ruin every game I've seen them in. They trivialize content by allowing people to bypass it and it requires significant reworking of the art because stuff that you were never meant to see must now be drawn. Not just no. Hard no.

Arimov

I vote no. Flying mounts ruin every game I've seen them in. They trivialize content by allowing people to bypass it and it requires significant reworking of the art because stuff that you were never meant to see must now be drawn. Not just no. Hard no.
If they are tied low using bones, then that should not be a problem. The idea is really just to have a cool mount. As for bypassing content, anything that saves time is good.

Dude

If they are tied low using bones, then that should not be a problem. The idea is really just to have a cool mount. As for bypassing content, anything that saves time is good.
If you want a fast moving game, try a first person shooter. Again, hard no.

Arimov

If you want a fast moving game, try a first person shooter. Again, hard no.
Traipsing around the Stormreach Marketplace is tedious, but, really, that is not the intent of a flying mount. The objective is neither to move particularly faster nor to reach the clouds. The objective is to have a nice customizable feature. The height and/or speed at which the mount can move is irrelevant. If they can create raptor mounts and unicorns, then a pegasus or griffon should be no problem. In fact, it could be done without the flying, though I would prefer to see the mount off the ground. A large character box could also implement such a thing, so that it really is just a visual effect, nothing more.

Lagin

Traipsing around the Stormreach Marketplace is tedious, but, really, that is not the intent of a flying mount. The objective is neither to move particularly faster nor to reach the clouds. The objective is to have a nice customizable feature. The height and/or speed at which the mount can move is irrelevant. If they can create raptor mounts and unicorns, then a pegasus or griffon should be no problem. In fact, it could be done without the flying, though I would prefer to see the mount off the ground. A large character box could also implement such a thing, so that it really is just a visual effect, nothing more.
tedious? you mean the 30 seconds it takes to go from one end to the other is too long? why don't we just forego ALL house and areas, have all quests in the grove or HoH? Get real, As to flying mounts NO, go play another game.

Arimov

tedious? you mean the 30 seconds it takes to go from one end to the other is too long? why don't we just forego ALL house and areas, have all quests in the grove or HoH? Get real, As to flying mounts NO, go play another game.
"As to flying mounts NO, go play another game." What? "go play another game"? I find that rather rude and unfriendly. As a player, a paying customer, I have as much right to have an opinion as anyone else. As a paying customer, as a player of over ten years, I am entitled to make as much of an ask as anyone else who plays the game. I have been playing D&D since high-school, or even junior high-school. I played the paper-based game since the 70s. I have as much right as anyone to formulate an opinion, and to make a request. One can state that they do not like my suggestion without being offensive. Generally, I find the DDO community to be quite friendly, and quite supportive (particularly in-game). I hope I do not find the same hostility that I found in the WoT community. I am not going to "play another game". I have invested a lot of my own personal capital (and time), and I have every right to state my opinion, make a request, and continue to play. And... again, I would like to see the Pegasus and Griffon added to the game.

Arimov

White Plume Mountain, The Price of Freedom has the following:
Introduction
Talk to Dorris to receive an in-quest item, Wand of Greater Exploits. The wand has two uses:

1. It summons a pad that launches you upwards and then casts feather fall on you.
  2. It tells you if a dimensional anchor is nearby (from farthest to nearest: "Too Far", "Very Far", "Far", "Close", "Very Close", "Right Here")

Use the wand (repeatedly) to reach the prison above you. Bug: The state of the pads is unreliable at the moment. It's said they stay for 10 uses but they sometimes just disappear, forcing you to drop down and start your rise again.
That is using a wand to create disks upon which to jump, sort of like flying or levitating. It is dynamic, and for me, quite difficult. I was never good at Mario-type games, with jumping and landing and timing. In addition, Just Business, has the "Soar Sleds", so I think asking for magical disks (platforms), or flying-like spells, is not much of an ask. Likewise, for a request for a cosmetic mount, which would have no effect on game-play within quests.

Last edited:

The Narc

Its very simple make the pegasus/flying mount available for 6k favor in the next hardcore and only the players the play the game fast will have enough time to get one, as the slow players who like to play slow and are somehow convinced this game is slow because they maybe unable to survive at a fast pace will not miss nor have a chance at getting a flying mount.

End result the fast players will fly above out of sight to the next area/quest, and the slow players will continue to stroll along the streets and paths at a moderate pace. Everyone is happy!

Alco

If it is useless, then why do the devs continue to create custom mounts? I am suggesting just cosmetic mounts, not mounts having any power in quest zones. Anything that generates more capital for the game owner and devs is a good suggestion. Also, anything that improves content for players is a good suggestion. If players want to see it, then devs should consider it.
What makes you think everything the devs do is useful?

TiamatTheWicked

First of all flying mounts are awesome and they enhance not ruin the game experience. I played world of Warcraft for a couple of years back when I could afford the subscription. Not only did I have several flying mounts when I got my level high enough to do the quest and afford to buy the stuff I needed I had a spell that turned me into a dragon! Totally awesome!!! And someone said that flying mounts allow you to skip game content. I’m not sure if that is true or not, I didn’t ( and wouldn’t ) skip game content even if I could. And if someone does it’s their loss. Bottom line flying mounts are awesome!!!

Ying

5000+ hours played
Before you give flying mounts can you give us the LOW LEVEL fly and levitate spell?
Fly isn't going to happen. Aside from Reaver's Refuge, quests, wilderness and public spaces were not designed for Fly. SSG would have to redesign too many of the 444 quests, and that's just not going to happen from the sheer volume of it.

Levitate could happen. It's already in the game, like the Enlightened Spirit: Celestial Spirit and Shadowdancer: Greater Shadowform.

It would be weird seeing a mount with wings that couldn't fly. Sev did state that they were considering adding a flying carpet, but it would be ground-bound (essentially a levitate effect).

Ying

5000+ hours played
First of all flying mounts are awesome and they enhance not ruin the game experience. I played world of Warcraft
It was a *massive* effort for Blizzard to revamp all of the zones to acommodate flying mounts. SSG has a fraction of the resources that Blizzard has.

This isn't the first time flying mounts have been brought up. Severlin has answered this many times during livestreams. It's a big fat "no". The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Fisto Mk I

Levitate could happen. It's already in the game, like the Enlightened Spirit: Celestial Spirit and Shadowdancer: Greater Shadowform.
It's not levitate, you know... You still trigger traps with ES:CS or PM: Shroud of the Wright and you cannot levitate over water in any form. ;)