1 server

The_Apocalypse

The Chosen One
Only one server would never work, but a new untransferable clean server would be nice... for about a year. Then it would be full of end game toons, like the other servers.

Jummby

People forget how many players there were on each server years ago. Now that's impossible?

There was a time over 10 years ago more people played each populated server, than play the game now in total.

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
Maybe SSG should make unique servers somehow. Something that would encourage players to make alts on each server. Maybe it could rotate around throughout the year. Like one server would have an event on for example, but a different event on a different server. Or a yearlong invasion, like the illithid, but with each server themed, such as different elements, etc. Anything you can imagine. Heck you could even make account wide ingredients, but you could only earn that particular one ingredient on that server. But you would have a trader on each server that would give you whatever you earned on another, so you could consolidate on whichever server you wanted. There's all kind of fun ways to utilize multiple shards of worlds, they just have a lack of ideas.

Jummby

Maybe SSG should make unique servers somehow. Something that would encourage players to make alts on each server. Maybe it could rotate around throughout the year. Like one server would have an event on for example, but a different event on a different server. Or a yearlong invasion, like the illithid, but with each server themed, such as different elements, etc. Anything you can imagine. Heck you could even make account wide ingredients, but you could only earn that particular one ingredient on that server. But you would have a trader on each server that would give you whatever you earned on another, so you could consolidate on whichever server you wanted. There's all kind of fun ways to utilize multiple shards of worlds, they just have a lack of ideas.
Cool story, have another beer...

Krell

Half the population is on hardcore when it opens. That tells me the game could handle two game worlds. We’ve had mergers before. Just need to solve for some new things added since then, ships, shards, mounts, pets, and tr cache.

Last edited:

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
I simply find it amazing that people with absolutely no knowledge of the base code seem to 'know' that the servers just need more resources to run smoothly.

Yes, Hardcore runs 'FIne' when it starts up, and everyone is a new character with no past lives, feats, enhancement trees, epic destinies, filigrees and a PILE of other things that modify the character in ways the original engine was not written to handle.

I'd guess that if the same number of mid-to-endgame toons were on the same server the lag would be phenomenally bad.

No, I've never been involved in DDO's code. I DO know that simply providing more ram, disk space and CPU cycles won't help a piece of software that wasn't written to take advantage of the additional resources. I firmly believe that the biggest reason there hasn't been, and likely won't be in the future, another server merge is the server engine couldn't handle the increased player load without a bottom up rewrite.