A Legendary Veteran rant ! Lord Stoddard speaks the truth !

Aelonwy

This is exactly what I am asserting. My understanding is creating a quest at 22 and 34 is not possible.
Yes Cordovan, and one other SSG person (Sev maybe?) have said behind the scenes the program? defines epic and legendary the same (not surprising) so we can't have an epic adventure that is duplicated in legendary... unless they were to do something like Devil Assault and make EN level 20, EH level 25, LE level 30. But I would really rather they didn't experiment with that again, especially as only the base level quest seems to matter for level restrictions/lockouts and such.

T.O.

Agreed it would have been better if instead of a lockout it was an XP penalty for quests to the degree they are below the arbitrary demarcation of "Legendary." Such as -10% for level 29, -20% for level 28, etc. Again let me repeat... 1 to 20 we are in the same enhancement system - heroic enhancements which still benefit us in epics but are completed by 20. In epic we have Epic Destinies which now almost fully follow the pattern of heroic enhancements and smack dab in the middle of leveling our epic destinies is an arbitrary XP & leveling restriction. A line in the sand that doesn't even really exist between heroic and epic (only for reaper purposes) but somehow exists between epic and ? more-epic that's been labeled legendary.

To be entirely fair to the devs, removing Power-leveling penalties, and over-level penalties in epics in the interest of keeping the playerbase from being too separated or scattered across those levels (20+ to 29) was a brilliant move for keeping the community invested together. But I wonder how its working out having some of the playerbase only able to run 30+ for any benefit? Is that working out for people that stayed at cap before? Or are you finding it too restrictive on completing sagas? on grouping? Do you not even notice it because you hurry to do those expansion quests?
I do believe that at the time that removing power leveling for epic was called for. The number of epic quests was sparse. And to a degree still sparse. Having a +4 over level for xp bonus is still a good thing in epics. For the most part players that want xp already set up restrictive lfm's towards players that are over level. Which usually equates to if they are getting xp bonus for doing a quest on reaper even if it's just R1.

Epics being only 10 levels. I do think at some point that there should be a xp penalty for being over level. There is just really a handful of quests that are 28-29. When done on elite/reaper put them in the Legendary zone. Then why should there be a lock out on xp?

I don't know maybe as the dev team builds out legendary leveling this can be some thing addressed in the future. Hopefully it's not foundational that removing it will break progress.

Last edited:

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
This is exactly what I am asserting. My understanding is creating a quest at 22 and 34 is not possible.
I don't think so. The specific response from Severlan in a Q&A at DDOcast was that three tiers for a single quest is currently impossible.

The question of a tier 1 Epic and tier 2 Legendary quest or quest pack has never AFAIK been responded to, not even when I asked it once 2 to 4 years ago in the Players Council. Which I do not at present belong to.

Nevertheless, that comment by Severlin suggests that the current tech limitation is that quests can belong to two tiers, but not three.

Whether one of those tiers *must* be heroic or not, I don't know, and for the time being AFAIK the answer to that is internal to SSG.

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
As far as the persisting of Legendary XP, I think it is a wonderful feature
It's undoubtedly good for endgamers -- and I suppose for those passengers of the TR choo-choo train who like fastest travel to destination.

Problem is, fastest ETR > TR players with this system will end up removing themselves from the endgame ; so that it fabricates yet another divorce between the TR train passengers and the endgamers.

Saga spammers like myself excepted to a degree.
and I fully expect Legendary TRing to take advantage of this and allow us to burn the legendary xp independently of other tiers. The devs have said that recreating this for Epic TRs would be a great deal of work, but I hope they find the time and money to make it happen.
I wholly dislike the entire concept as I find it alien to D&D as such.

My earliest experience of what was basically a 1E AD&D equivalent of True Reincarnation, wholly unexpected as my main had died permanently -- well, it involved some in-game horrid perversions and necromancy (he was an Anti-Paladin/Magic-User married to a Player Character Lich Cleric and High Priestess of Hela), but I re-started at level 1 and with zero XP ; but all of my old gear.

Experience Points should come from in-game experiences ; not Dungeon Master fudges to make some players happy for five minutes.

Last edited:

Dragonan

To call something legendary, it has to be Legendary! Unfortunately, at this moment, there are no legendary levels, no matter what they call them. There are no legendary feats, classes, bonuses, No legendary destinies.
There are currently 20 levels of heroics, 1 - 20, and 12 levels of epics, 20 - 32. Even destinies are called Epic. So stop calling epic levels legendary, and if you want to call them legendary, please give us true legendries.

Kimbere

...Now with all this MESS you're literally FORCED to only run "legendary" quests with other's 30's

No more V5's or Tempests for xp farming, Thunder slayers...no more ANYTHING

All you CAN do is run the fancy new quests
Who said anything about reaper xp you troll
If, as you claim, you're not interested in grinding dailies for RXP your complaints don't add up.

You only have to level to 32 once. In your original post, you said you've already done that on your toons.

Legendary XP doesn't reset when you TR, so once you level back to 30 you can immediately take 31 and 32. No additional regular XP is needed beyond 30 to get back to 32 after you TR. If you were grinding dailies for regular XP to level from 20-30, you can still do so exactly as before. Want to do slayers from 20-28 like you did before? Still works.

Previously, once you capped 30, you didn't benefit from regular XP at any quest level. You also no longer have to to level destiny spheres anymore so regular xp also doesn't matter for them. Now, all you have to do is level to 32 once, which is pretty simple really. Then when you TR, it's no different than it was before.

So the only valid complaint you might have is that you can't get RXP from non-legendary quests once you take 31+. But if that's the complaint, you're basically just complaining about not being able to run older, easier, lower level content for RXP while taking advantage of the power creep that levels 31 and 32 provide. Kind of a bs complaint there. Want the easy RXP farming from dailies, stay at level 30 and grind away.

Last edited:

PaleFox

Cordo brought the hard level gating up with Sev as we complained that we could not party up with those below level 30 as soon as we took those legendary levels.
Sev's reaction was "Yeah, I can look into that..."
But what we got was not what we requested, we wanted to still get the benefits of questing by being rewarded level-xp and reaper-xp.

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
Cordo brought the hard level gating up with Sev as we complained that we could not party up with those below level 30 as soon as we took those legendary levels.
Sev's reaction was "Yeah, I can look into that..."
But what we got was not what we requested, we wanted to still get the benefits of questing by being rewarded level-xp and reaper-xp.
Tech probably would not allow it, from how they set up Epic XP rewards in Epic tier quests, but it might have been more equitable to just propagate the Heroic tier over-level XP penalties into the entirety of the game.

TrinityTurtle

Yes...obviously there is...but here is the thing, maybe, just bloody maybe I wanna do the same damn quests I been doing for a decade for my "daily" runs ?

Disciplined and dedicated people only ! Dailies ! TTT-V3-Spies-WK ! ( R1 )

Or maybe...just bloody maybe I'd update them to more "modern" quests with better rewards etc etc

That was up to ME to decide, not ANYONE else !

Get my point pumpkim ?
So...just decide which four quests in the legendaries you like as your legendary dailies and solve your issue and start running them every day? And have something new to do for the two levels (that at current time you only have to do once til there is more legendary content and some sort of legendary tr down the road).

Teh_Troll

So...just decide which four quests in the legendaries you like as your legendary dailies and solve your issue and start running them every day? And have something new to do for the two levels (that at current time you only have to do once til there is more legendary content and some sort of legendary tr down the road).
This has got to be the lamest way to play DDO.

Variety is the spice of life and there's got to be 100 level 30+ quests at this point. not to mention slayer areas.

comfy

the comfortable
At least there is some good news, if you plan to TR any of your characters. If you reincarnate at level 32, the next time you take level 30 it will automatically give you the experience points needed to go from 30 to 32. :) That way, you can continue to run your epic dailies each life after you hit 32 just one time on each character... at least until you start legendary reincarnating.

TrinityTurtle

This has got to be the lamest way to play DDO.

Variety is the spice of life and there's got to be 100 level 30+ quests at this point. not to mention slayer areas.
Hey, I agree with you, but OP seems think it's the way to go, and his game experience is his game experience. My personal habit is to one and done things to the top. But we can't force other players to like the same things we do, and it was just an obvious solution to the original issue posted to me. LOL