Alternate Lives

CBDunk

Add the ability to treat alts as 'past lives' of another character.

So, if you have a 'main character' and a level 20 Gnome Barbarian, you could have the Gnome go to the Reincarnation Grove, select racial (or heroic reincarnation) normally, type in the name of the main character, and poof... the Gnome ceases to exist and the main character suddenly has a Gnome (or Barbarian) past life.

This would give purpose to a lot of 'failed experiments', 'hardcore transfers', and other alts that mostly sit around doing nothing. If you put in the work of getting them to reincarnation levels, you should be able to get the benefits. Would also make it easier to have multiple viable characters for different purposes (e.g. level cap raiding tank/DPS/healer, accumulating PLs, grouping with chars at various levels, etc).

There'd be some issues to figure out;
Existing past lives - If the character being removed already had past lives they would ideally all transfer to the character they are becoming a past life of. Failing that this might be limited to first life characters OR any past lives of the character being removed might be lost.

Maximums - The new reincarnation(s) might put the receiving character beyond the maximum number possible for one or more categories (e.g. 4+ of the same epic reincarnation feat). In that case they'd stay at max and the additional past lives would be lost.

Gear - In theory, gear belonging to the character being removed should transfer to the reincarnation cache of the receiving character. However, there might be issues if that already contained gear. The caches could be merged if possible, or there might need to be a check that the receiver's cache is empty before reincarnation could be completed. If all else failed, any gear owned by the donor could be lost... with a 'type your name' confirmation box or similar to make sure they understand that before proceeding.

Also note that any tomes (ability, skill, racial/universal AP, etc), reaper XP, mysterious remnant upgrades, pets, mounts, and so forth on the character being retired would likely be lost... as merging these with similar results on the other character would be convoluted at best.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

saekee

long live ROGUE
/signed.
If they sell otto’s boxes why not this in some form?
Argument against: First lifers level fast, take less xp.

Response: A vet toon will blow through heroics faster anyway and even gain some reaper xp, reset endgame reaper first time reaper xp and is simply better off in this way. However it is a fair point—just turn them ino an Otto’s box for 20 tokens of the twelve, or 42 heart seeds. The xp will not be enough for a vet toon to get to 20 but they could get close.

Big plus: this means opening elite has extra perks for new toons (ViP!) and players will push to take HC toons to 20 for a good Aztec sacrifice.

CBDunk

so kinda like the effect of Bloodstone of Fistandantilus

The idea could be viewed that way. I was thinking of it in a more existential way... the experience of 'living' that life is the same regardless. Think of it more as suddenly recalling a past life that you had forgotten about... rather than some sort of ritual sacrifice. Though, mechanically it doesn't matter.

Argument against: First lifers level fast, take less xp.

Valid point. However, as you note, multi-lifers have the benefit of those past lives, reaper points, etc to make levelling easier. If anything, first lives are generally more difficult even with the lower XP.

If it were really a concern, the option might be limited to hardcore characters, either at first or indefinitely. Instead of transferring them to another server at the end of the hardcore season you could designate them as a 'remembered past life'. That'd prevent anyone from using this as an 'easy mode' to accumulate past lives... and potentially give people who don't care about cosmetic rewards or 'the challenge of it' a reason to join hardcore.

l_remmie

It would be easiest to have an option for a lvl20 char to delete itself in exchange for a 1,9m xp stone that is BtA.

CBDunk

It would be easiest to have an option for a lvl20 char to delete itself in exchange for a 1,9m xp stone that is BtA.

Possibly, though that would allow access to ANY racial or heroic past life rather than those actually completed, but not Iconic or Epic ones. It might also be used on a completely new character... resulting in no past life at all.

Yes, just add all past lives to a common pool that you can attach your characters to.

This too, might be easier... and would certainly have great utility for players. Just a question of whether SSG would be willing to go that far.

The Narc

No thanks, let those that want to play with fully capped out alts have to buy their way or grind their way to them. Its all good for the economy of the game, in my opinion the need to chase the joneses end gamers are the ones paying like whales and i am fine with that, anyone that is paying to get that way is happy and content spending their cash on a game excessively and will likely have no problen continuing to pay excessive cash on a game.

I personally dont find past live toons any more fun then first life toons(first life toons are probably more fun for me), so i dont mind playing either but not bothering to spend on xp pots or otto boxes or any other pay to advance option.

Last edited:

Shear-buckler

No thanks, let those that want to play with fully capped out alts have to buy their way or grind their way to them. Its all good for the economy of the game, in my opinion the need to chase the joneses end gamers are the ones paying like whales and i am fine with that, anyone that is paying to get that way is happy and content spending their cash on a game excessively and will likely have no problen continuing to pay excessive cash on a game.

I personally dont find past live toons any more fun then first life toons(first life toons are probape more fun for me), so i dont mind playing either but not botherimg to soend on xp pots or otto boxes or any other pay to advance option.

Players having their alts in other games is not good for the economy of the game. Players spending more money on tomes is good for the economy of the game.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
No, thank you!

the option might be limited to hardcore characters, either at first or indefinitely. Instead of transferring them to another server at the end of the hardcore season you could designate them as a 'remembered past life'. That'd prevent anyone from using this as an 'easy mode' to accumulate past lives... and potentially give people who don't care about cosmetic rewards or 'the challenge of it' a reason to join hardcore.
Not a creative idea. It is much like Diablo 3 Paragon points. Playing a season, when the season ends the Paragon EXP earned during the season is inherited by the Non-season account. Making hardcore a must play "season". So, people that already don't like Reaper, distaste Hardcore.. will (1) be alienated or (2) be arm-stronged to participate in the Hardcore tredmill.

Would be better if they created a system where we can farm 200 Heart Seed and trade for a Magnus Opus Heart of Wood or Blood that gives 3 of the same past life at once.

i.e - a Magnus Opus Heart of Wood will give 3 Cleric past lifes
i.e - a Magnus Opus Heart of Blood will give 3 Human past lifes
i.e - a Magnus Opus Epic Heart will give 3 Epic divine Past lifes

And it could be used only by Legendary capped characters