An expansion giveaway does not equal a discovery elixir

Oliphant

For my answer to why, see the rest of that post.

It's not perfectly reasonable.
The rest of your post does not support the thesis that equal compensation is unreasonable, you make the case that it is in fact equal compensation.

First of all, why assume people can't see the value proposition for themselves? I never thought to compare the 1-hour pot to them going back in time several years and changing the timeline with years' worth of retroactive play - total strawman beat down. It's pretty straight forward, a getting a 1-hour pot right now is not equal to getting an expansion pack right now.

GrizzlyOso

Are you confusing "The Year of the Dragon" with the upcoming VIP appreciation coming soon? I think that the VIP appreciation rollout proves that SSG values their paying customer/players.
It literally proved the opposite. Free year of the dragon stuff ? Keep forever. Their vip loyalty reward ? At least initially, not keep forever. (Doesn’t matter if they changed it, it’s how they think)

You can’t even make up the contempt - I’ll keep taking the free stuff, since they seem to actively be discouraging paying them .

Drunken.dx

The problem is the lesson learned. If you wait long enough you can get very valuable items for free, but only if you were smart enough not to pay for them. That isn't the lesson SSG should be wanting to teach their players. If anything, the reward for people that own everything should be slightly better than a free expansion so the lesson is, "I better buy every expansion so I am eligible for the best reward." These events are opportunities to train the player base to behave the way SSG wants and this is training in the wrong direction. At the very least it could have been a stack of 5 of the two best types of elixirs (one to increase drop % chance like the one we got, and one to increase drop quality like on a treasure hunter weekend).

This.
SSG many time showed that they try to cash in on FOMO, but this gives message: "better to wait a bit and get it for free than fall to FOMO, buying it early won't give me good stuff in long run"

Number of recent "bonuses" for spenders are in a category where it's better to go low spending and wait for giveaways than spend early and spend lots.
SSG, I wanna give you my money (and I have money to give, for now), but you're not giving me deals I find worth my money.
If i were not already VIP, VIP "benefits" would not convince me to go VIP, and why buy newest expansion, when I can wait a bit and get it for free? (I'm in no rush to run newest content)

I mean, you're looking for ways to get people to spend more and you're giving deals only "shut up and take my money" group falls for.

as i said multiple times, whoever is making monetization decisions for DDO is VERY bad at their job, they focus on one group of spenders while ignoring every other group, which costs SSG LOTS of money in long run.

erethizon1

You mentioned that SSG rewards patience, but I highlighted the immediate perks of purchasing an expansion. It seems you've sidestepped that point. While you discuss the nuances of influencing behavior—a commendable professional focus—this situation is straightforward. It's not about manipulation; it's a straightforward giveaway. When you purchase an expansion, you receive the promised content, and any additional giveaways are just a bonus, a token of goodwill from SSG. There's no need to overthink it; it's a simple act of appreciation.
I ignored the immediate perk of buying an expansion because the discussion was whether any of the people that purchased the expansion would second guess their decision because they realize they would have been better off just waiting patiently. The goal is to have no one second guessing themselves. You seem to think if you just tell people that they should be happy then they will be. That doesn't work on wives, and it doesn't work on video game players either. The goal is to actually allow them to feel happy. There have been good suggestions already in this thread that would make people genuinely glad that they did buy all the expansions. There should be no need to convince them to be happy. They should simply naturally feel happy when they see the plan for the event.

Scrag

I just misclicked. There went my discovery. My char has to park until something comes up that I want to try and run for for an item, which basically makes that char useless/not played. Just sitting around.

These discovery pots are really really not a good value for $$ spent or anything. As mentioned before, it just gives you a slight edge to do rerolls. Not a straight up pull. You would never want to use one of these pots unless you are going for something very specific.

Randomdude1223

I ignored the immediate perk of buying an expansion because the discussion was whether any of the people that purchased the expansion would second guess their decision because they realize they would have been better off just waiting patiently. The goal is to have no one second guessing themselves. You seem to think if you just tell people that they should be happy then they will be. That doesn't work on wives, and it doesn't work on video game players either. The goal is to actually allow them to feel happy. There have been good suggestions already in this thread that would make people genuinely glad that they did buy all the expansions. There should be no need to convince them to be happy. They should simply naturally feel happy when they see the plan for the event.
You've willingly ignored my points and haven't provided a rebuttal. It's futile to continue this discussion if my arguments are disregarded without consideration. It seems unlikely that we'll reach an agreement, given our differing perspectives. I believe that free is a sign of good will, and you believe in Well uhhh ... I am not really sure what you believe in. I've been going back and forth in this thread explaining the difference between being free and being entitled, and I think it would be presumptuous if I started quoting myself. Therefore, I'm withdrawing myself from this debate. Bye

Last edited:

Jummby

Giving away an expansion for a prize in the month of the Dragon is an excellent idea. However, giving those who have all the expansions an elixir of discovery that lasts one hour is not commiserate value. DDO continually struggles to reward its most loyal customers. Consider the players who have purchased ultimate editions of each expansion, spending over $1000 on content. This is the revenue that drives the game. Giving people a 60-minute potion for their loyalty feels hollow.

Perhaps there is some sort of disconnect on what these elixirs are worth? The 10% named item boost is fairly worthless. Especially when compared to +10 treasure hunter weekends where named items (often with reaper attributes) drop all over the place. How many quests are you getting done in an hour? How many chests will you even open with a mere 10% boost?

Players that have all the expansions should have been given something valuable, like an unbound Otto's Box, Wish of Inheritance, or a Card Cleanser that they could use or sell for astral shards. The price of these items is about what an expansion costs in the DDO store. We have supported the game for years (decade) buying each expansion. It would be nice if we got something other than a 60-minute Big Mac.

Ar the end of he day, they are giving away things for free. With regards to the value, they just offered older packs. If you have the packs you get a potion.

Is a 60 min potion that we don't even know if it works, worth a pack? Probably not. But at least they gave something.

We have bigger problems than worrying about freebies. The game has major lag issues. Yes DDO and LOTRO will always have lag, it can't be to the point that the game isn't playable.

Getting back to the original.post topic. They should have done better on rewards. If they were smarter, they never would have made this give away event, since all they planned on giving away is junk. All it did was agititate the community.

Jummby

Or flag your account to grant a boost for 24 hours (or whatever time span) when you choose to claim it.

And yes, an increased percentage is also needed.
I don't know how many times I have run the Morgrave expansion on r10 without seeing drops let alone a reaper boosted or mythic Item.

Tired of hearing about, "Oh that's just RNG" .

Enough people have commented on the drop rates to know something is off. It's an unregulated industry though. They can imply the drop rates are one thing when they are clearly another. Meanwhile, they can charge shards for rerolls. Shards that can be bought for real money and they have no consequences if you never get what you want.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Ostwind-Cannith

just to remain a fair and balanced person - I've been critical lately about all this. I logged into my main, hit Army of Endless night, popped a potion of lesser elixir of discovery, popped chest and pulled the Eye of Mabar I've been looking for for a month. Concidence? RNG? The Devs trying to get me off their back for my negativity? dunno. I'm happy and maybe these pots aren't as bad as I always thought.

erethizon1

You've willingly ignored my points and haven't provided a rebuttal. It's futile to continue this discussion if my arguments are disregarded without consideration. It seems unlikely that we'll reach an agreement, given our differing perspectives. I believe that free is a sign of good will, and you believe in Well uhhh ... I am not really sure what you believe in. I've been going back and forth in this thread explaining the difference between being free and being entitled, and I think it would be presumptuous if I started quoting myself. Therefore, I'm withdrawing myself from this debate. Bye
I'm not ignoring your points. Yes, people that buy the expansion early get access to the expansion early. For some people that is enough. Those people are not here on the thread complaining. This thread is about those that are complaining and you seem to reference getting the expansion early as though that will persuade them to no longer have a problem. I'm not saying anyone deserves anything or is entitled to anything. The world is not fair, and you don't get what you deserve.

In this case we are dealing with sales, which are based on emotions. The goal is to create happy customers and to figure out what will cause the most revenue. Logic, unfortunately, has no place in sales. I learned that in my early jobs. You cannot convince people to be happy through logic. But you can make them feel happy by doing something that triggers that emotional response. I'm simply saying, it would be wise to trigger it when people buy expansions and not make them second guess their decisions. This has nothing to do with fairness, entitlement, or anything else. This has to do with maximizing profit.

Mickeymouse

I got season tickets for hockey once, and at some of the games they gave us hotdogs and a drink.... shame on them! you know what I paid for those tickets???? a hotdog and a stinky beverage! really??

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
I got season tickets for hockey once, and at some of the games they gave us hotdogs and a drink.... shame on them! you know what I paid for those tickets???? a hotdog and a stinky beverage! really??
Everyone who didn't buy season tickets got free tickets to the next game

Still happy about that hot dog and drink?

Cheeps

Tired Member
It's a 60min pot of why bother.

I'm interested in the expansions for my alt accounts, don't care if I get the pot or not on my main, who owns everything except last expansion.

The pot will probability rot in the TR cache anyway.

Kimbere

Nah.

You paid a lot of money for season tickets to the game, for multiple seasons.

Then the team turned around and gave all the non-season pass holders free season tickets to a season of their choosing.

To you, they just sent an email that says:
"As a token of our gratitude for being a loyal customer over the years, here's a mini-hotdog and kid's drink that cost us $0.20.
Don't eat it all in one bite!
By the way, please be sure to renew your season tickets next year."

To show their appreciation, they could easily have given you a jersey, a ball cap, a team logo Yeti tumbler, 10 free drink tickets, a few friend passes for games, or any number of other cool swag items that you could have enjoyed long-term but instead you got a free kid's meal.

Last edited: