Anyone have a favorite CC one-handed weapon?

Drachmor

I'm excited to roll another SWF life soon, this time I'm thinking of taking it to cap and actually farming out a decent(ish) gearset.

Last time I did SWF, I ran with goldcursed dagger, which was soooooo much fun. The crowd control was just too awesome to give up, even in favor of many of the higher-DPS options I have knocking around in my head. In particular, thinking of doing something with Dragonlord + Swashbuckling, because I've only just now learned that swash doubles the crit bonus from improved critical feats, so you're looking at a +4 range with +2 mult on Dragonlord... pretty darn nice!

I guess I'm curious to hear your thoughts on both that split (what would you go in addition to Dragonlord + Bard? I'm thinking I really need saves, I wish I could go SF but I can't due to alignment restrictions, and I would also take more damage. Rogue for SA + saves stuff?). I guess STR-based, now that Dragon has a str trance?

Anyway: I'm looking for one-handed weapon ideas, because that seems to be my biggest bottleneck right now! I love the crowd-control from goldcursed, wondering if any weapons in the +2 range (So, handaxes, light mace, light hammer, sickle, kama) have similar crowd-control potency. (Or, if something like dripping with magma / Char's Thunderclap ability are high-enough damage to make up for it).

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
Have you ever done a Shadar-Kai chains build?

The Goldcursed Dagger works even better while swinging those chains around. Do it as a Barb to get the +2 to Crit Multiplier increase.

Last edited:

Drachmor

I've heard of that for a long time, seems super frickin cool! Alas, I lack the racial AP, and I do tend to go vistani capstone, so... I suppose I could make it work, would just have to change up some priorities!

Drachmor

Have you ever done a Shadar-Kai chains build?

The Gold Cursed Dagger works even better while swinging those chains around. Do it as a Barb to get the +2 to Crit Range increase.
Also also - you could do even more than +2 crit range increase using swash. And on Dragonlord, you get +2 multiplier! Best of both worlds.

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
Also also - you could do even more than +2 crit range increase using swash. And on Dragonlord, you get +2 multiplier! Best of both worlds.
I meant to say "+2 to Crit Multiplier increase."

I edited my post above. Sorry for any confusion.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
I always go with a metalline/alignes CC weapin if I was too lazy to farm a proper named weapon.
On heroic levels everything dies so fast...

droid327

Until you take an improved crit feat, you aren't really locked into any weapon type for swashbuckling. Gold curse is great for low levels, as is Sky pirate and night forge, and you can run all the way to 20 with daggers and vkf if you want. Or if you want max crit, switch to unseen blow at 14. There are also some nice expanded crit sickles at low and medium levels

Drachmor

Until you take an improved crit feat, you aren't really locked into any weapon type for swashbuckling. Gold curse is great for low levels, as is Sky pirate and night forge, and you can run all the way to 20 with daggers and vkf if you want. Or if you want max crit, switch to unseen blow at 14. There are also some nice expanded crit sickles at low and medium levels
True. I'm thinking more for an endgame reaper build!

Levels 4-10, I personally love running a cannith-crafted, double-augmented weapon. All those juicy d6s are hard to pass up! (4d6 from CC, 4d6 from augments, adding to that maybe a d6 or two from things like the Night Revels masks. Makes quick work of any low-level enemy! Especially with haste + haste boost)

saekee

long live ROGUE
In low levels I would do the Tiefling assassin blade with swashing. You get expanded keen super expanded, something like 13-20. In low heroics a crit is enough, so you want more crits and the expansion of it with tiefling blade rocks. Add guardbreaking and it is awesome synergy.

I am not sure anything would compete for CC and swashing with the Legendary Goldcursed at cap. Its proc is brokenly strong. What happens on crit for it is, for similar weapons, usually 5% chance. So 33% or so at least to proc, 6x more effective.

I suppose the other option is to add something on the equipment side that procs too like Legendary Freezing ice. But that is on weapons so no dice here unless TWF. Guardbreaking and shield bashing are the obvious choices.

Dino bone buckler gets Fang for a slot but I am not sure it will proc on mainhand.

For heroics, slot a freezing ice ruby in a guardbreaking buckler.

Last edited:

Mokune

Are Harvester's Brush Hooks still a thing? (Were they ever really LMAO) They might be easier to acquire than Tiefling Dagger and seem ok-ish for late heroics through mid epics. No inherent CC though but univeral DR breakers.

Also, I know there is an effect (maybe called "Frozen") I have seen on random gen loot buckler's that has a chance to Freeze on Melee or Ranged Attack. It's not a guard and is not specific to shield bashes. It procs on your main hand attacks.

Reactions: DBZ

EinarMal

If you are swashbuckling you want a buckler with guard breaking. Then use IMO a Dino hand axe would be my choice at cap.

Moon guard is easy one to get.

You should go shadar Kai too good to not on this type of build. Even without racial chains are worth it.